How to remove own Earthlink web site?

Ted Kerin

Aug 5, 2009, 12:49:27 PM8/5/09
Years ago I set up a web site for my sister on her Earthlink personal web
space, and now, long story short, she needs to have it taken down.

Meanwhile I no longer even have Dreamweaver on my computer, and the site was
substantially redesigned by friend of hers who later died. So I'm not sure
of the easiest way to make the site go away.

I suppose I could have her contact GoDaddy and release or terminate the
domain name that links to her Earthlink space (then it wouldn't matter what
was on her Earthlink space, because it is unlikely that anybody will find it
at the original Earthlink URL).

But I am hoping there's a simpler way to go into her Earthlink account and
just disable or, through Earthlink.net, empty that web space without having
to use webmaster software. Meanwhile, Earthlink has so completely
de-emphasized the personal web space (the free kind that comes with the
account), that I can't even find any support page about this feature.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Steve Urbach

Aug 5, 2009, 2:26:01 PM8/5/09

You had the right ideas.
Simplest: just delete the files on the server if you have the password.

next level, place a file "Index.html" with a simple message (prevents errors
and tells people that the URL is good), "Closed", "Domain For Sale" (if you
think it is worth more than the basic fee) ...
All you need is a text editor (notepad will do)
3 nested tag pairs and your text is the minimalist web page
<HTML>
<Body>
<P> Your message </P>
</Body>
</HTML>
The trailing </P> is legacy HTML

Ted Kerin

Aug 5, 2009, 5:35:40 PM8/5/09

"Steve Urbach" <drago...@NOTmindspring.com> wrote in message

> You had the right ideas.
> Simplest: just delete the files on the server if you have the password.
>
> next level, place a file "Index.html" with a simple message (prevents
> errors
> and tells people that the URL is good), "Closed", "Domain For Sale" (if
> you
> think it is worth more than the basic fee) ...
> All you need is a text editor (notepad will do)
> 3 nested tag pairs and your text is the minimalist web page
> <HTML>
> <Body>
> <P> Your message </P>
> </Body>
> </HTML>
> The trailing </P> is legacy HTML

Thanks, Steve, will do (assuming I still have the password -- if not, I'll
have to call Earthlink).

I still can't find any help on the Earthlink site about this old, original
"personal web space", or even a way to sign-in to it, although there's lots
of info and access re: the "for pay" web hosting that they're promoting. So
next I'll try deleting the files and uploading a Closed message, using
Dreamweaver, as you suggested. Thanks again.

Steve Urbach

Aug 5, 2009, 6:57:08 PM8/5/09

I sort of noticed that too ;)

Look at how to FTP to your EL account
Filezilla is a good GUI tool. you can delete or drag and drop

you enter the host info: home.mindspring.com (if your host is Mindspring)
servertype is FTP
Normal logon type
user: user...@mindspring.com
password: duh!

Andy

Aug 6, 2009, 1:08:49 AM8/6/09
TOS prohibits resale of EarthLink FREE webspace.
if she had a paid domain name that can be sold .

--
AL'S COMPUTERS

Steve Urbach

Aug 6, 2009, 12:07:42 PM8/6/09
On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 01:08:49 -0400, "Andy" <N...@n.com> wrote:

>TOS prohibits resale of EarthLink FREE webspace.
>if she had a paid domain name that can be sold .

Selling the domain name was my intended message :(

I let a domain name expire and it is being held ransom $200 by a Korean
company: systempia.com

Andy

Aug 9, 2009, 2:34:21 AM8/9/09
That does stink are you going to go after it or give it up for me the cost
to get it back would make it not worth it:)

"Steve Urbach" <drago...@NOTmindspring.com> wrote in message

Steve Urbach

Aug 9, 2009, 12:38:24 PM8/9/09

It only bothers me that they charge lots more (ransom ?) to the original
registrant. You can buy for lots less :-(

I let it go. I thought it would just disappear back to the way it was before
(non-existent).
BTW no one has bought it in 8 years, so the name must not be that great :)

Andy

Aug 10, 2009, 1:03:34 AM8/10/09
i use earthlink as a dial up back up and for email i have loved the service
since it came online in 1994 :)