blocked emails

David Schultz

Jul 16, 2020, 10:49:40 AM7/16/20
I have noticed that some emails are not making it to my inbox. They are
not victims of the normal SPAM filters as they do not end up in the
known SPAM folder or in the blocked domain summary.

The first one I noticed was from a government mailing list (Federal
Register) which stopped arriving on 2 May after being delivered reliably
for almost 20 years.

The next was a notice from the Jesus and Mo' web comic which hasn't hit
my inbox in a month in spite of there being new comics.

And now that I think about it, I haven't received notices from GigaNews
as expected.

I revived an old Yahoo email account that I have never used and
subscribed to the two mailing lists. New notices appeared overnight
there but not in my Earthlink inbox. So email is going out but not
making it to me.

I have contacted Earthlink support but without a copy of a bounced email
notice (easy to come by of course) they refuse to even admit that there
is a problem let alone consider doing something.

Looking at email headers I noticed that a new domain had started
appearing on the way from sender to Earthlink for someone called
VadeSecure. This appears to be a service that is supposed to filter out
malicious emails. I suspect they may be the problem but without a
bounced email I have no way to tell.

So has anyone else noticed emails aren't arriving as expected?

--
https://web.archive.org/web/20190214181851/http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz/
(Web pages available only at the Wayback Machine because Earthlink

"\"Re...@home.com

Jul 16, 2020, 11:38:47 AM7/16/20
On 7/16/20 10:49 AM, David Schultz wrote:
> I have noticed that some emails are not making it to my inbox. They are
> not victims of the normal SPAM filters as they do not end up in the
> known SPAM folder or in the blocked domain summary.
>
> The first one I noticed was from a government mailing list (Federal
> Register) which stopped arriving on 2 May after being delivered reliably
> for almost 20 years.
>
> The next was a notice from the Jesus and Mo' web comic which hasn't hit
> my inbox in a month in spite of there being new comics.
>
> And now that I think about it, I haven't received notices from GigaNews
> as expected.
>
> I revived an old Yahoo email account that I have never used and
> subscribed to the two mailing lists. New notices appeared overnight
> there but not in my Earthlink inbox. So email is going out but not
> making it to me.
>
> I have contacted Earthlink support but without a copy of a bounced email
> notice (easy to come by of course) they refuse to even admit that there
> is a problem let alone consider doing something.
>
> Looking at email headers I noticed that a new domain had started
> appearing on the way from sender to Earthlink for someone called
> VadeSecure. This appears to be a service that is supposed to filter out
> malicious emails. I suspect they may be the problem but without a
> bounced email I have no way to tell.
>
> So has anyone else noticed emails aren't arriving as expected?

A week or 2 ago I noticed I had stopped getting E-mail Notifications on
new posts in my Facebook account.

I don't get many, 2 or 3 a day from friends or relatives only.

At first I thought it might be a new FB thing, and didn't worry about it
as I check my FB 1 or 2 times a day anyway.

So just now I checked my FB account settings, and yes it is still set to
e-mail Notifications.

Checked my Earthlink webmail, and no clues there. No FB messages anywhere.

Hopefully this one of EL's glitches that will magically fix itself ;-)

---

Ant

Jul 16, 2020, 8:38:46 PM7/16/20
I have seen this happen too with other senders like Nextdoor. It's annoying. I had to
contact both ELN and the senders' supports about it. :(

--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses, heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc.
/\___/\:( Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

David Schultz

Jul 20, 2020, 7:24:48 PM7/20/20
I continue banging my head against this brick wall to little effect.

The customer service people at gpo.gov didn't provide a lot of
information but did give me this:

1003 - [Message Expired] Exceeded MaxAttempts - 421 4.2.1 Connection
refused - OXSUS0001_303

This appears to be referring to a server at vadesecure.com since the
name resembles this:

> by oxsus1nmtai02p.internal.vadesecure.com with ngmta
> id ce50c99d-160ae3787130d066; Fri, 01 May 2020 11:18:45 +0000

Earthlink continues to insist on seeing a 550 bounced email message but
that isn't going to happen if the server refuses to listen at all.

They thing I find most annoying is emails are being ignored with no
notice or warning given to me that it is happening. I only noticed this
because it is something sent every business day.

"\"Re...@home.com

Aug 11, 2020, 12:25:36 PM8/11/20
Well, wonders never cease :-)

With no changes on my part, today I am receiving the FaceBook
Notification e-mails that started going missing a month ago.

Headers show they were processed thru nmtai201.oxsus-vadesecure.net
and something called ibscan-ranger.atl.sa.earthlink.net

Hope your missings start showing up too.

"\"Re...@home.com

Aug 12, 2020, 2:30:33 PM8/12/20
> Very odd that some FB emails now coming thru are 3 days old !!!!!!!!!!

David Schultz

Sep 27, 2020, 9:48:10 PM9/27/20
On 8/11/20 11:25 AM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:

> Hope your missings start showing up too.

They started arriving this week which was very unexpected. Earthlink
told me (eventually) that they were being blocked because they were
being sent from an unregistered domain. That hasn't changed:

$ whois listserv1.access.gpo.gov
[Querying whois.dotgov.gov]
[whois.dotgov.gov]
% DOTGOV WHOIS Server ready
No match for "LISTSERV1.ACCESS.GPO.GOV".

--
http://davesrocketworks.com
David Schultz

Ant

Sep 28, 2020, 3:46:35 PM9/28/20
What did you do to convince of this issue in case others and me run into this
too?
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), (H&h)eat, interruptions, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

David Schultz

Sep 28, 2020, 3:55:13 PM9/28/20
On 9/28/20 2:46 PM, Ant wrote:
> In alt.online-service.earthlink David Schultz <david....@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> On 8/11/20 11:25 AM, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:
>
>>> Hope your missings start showing up too.
>>>

>> They started arriving this week which was very unexpected. Earthlink
>> told me (eventually) that they were being blocked because they were
>> being sent from an unregistered domain. That hasn't changed:
>
>> $ whois listserv1.access.gpo.gov
>> [Querying whois.dotgov.gov]
>> [whois.dotgov.gov]
>> % DOTGOV WHOIS Server ready
>> No match for "LISTSERV1.ACCESS.GPO.GOV".
>
> What did you do to convince of this issue in case others and me run into this
> too?

I made a royal pain in the ass of myself. I kept banging away on the
level 1 support until finally I found someone who was willing to report
it up a level. (Having the error message being bounced back was critical
but not sufficient.) Who quickly sent it on to level 3 support.

Level 3 was supposed to get back with me within 48 hours (so the level 2
geek claimed) but after a week I called again. Luckily their connecting
me directly to level 3 support resulted in only a long wait on hold
rather than the more usual dropped connection.

That person then poked around before rendering the opinion that it was
the unregistered domain. Since the emails started filtering through
without the domain being registered, I suspect he was just guessing.

Andy

Sep 29, 2020, 2:51:18 AM9/29/20
The present day earthlink techs do this when the PLAY BOOK Tech support
software they use does not offer a fix that works to the end user:)

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"David Schultz" <david....@earthlink.net> wrote in message