Re: How to choose the best news server for this newsgroup in 40tude Dialog?

TOSEM

Feb 4, 2017, 10:46:20 PM2/4/17
Martim Ribeiro <MartimX...@meo.pt> wrote;
>How do I choose the best news server for this newsgroup in 40tude Dialog?

Hi...
For "alt.online-service.comcast" and "alt.online-service.compuserve" use
the server with the highest retention (messages) *and* for which you can
get posting rights.

>For example, how do I use this "news on server" information presented by
>40tude Dialog when I first try to get news for the very first time from
>this newsgroup which I need to ask a question on?
>http://i.cubeupload.com/KVKK7D.jpg

From that information -- in no order of personal preference -- is
esept/mixmin/albasani.

>The number of "new on server" messages varies hugely between servers.
>How am I supposed to *use* that information to choose the best newsserver?

Retention can vary widely amongst servers. Also there will be variance
between newsgroups held. So really server listings/reports as that are
pretty much useless from a client looking at servers the client 'talks' to.

>Specifically, can/should I use that information to choose the one server
>that I wish to obtain the news from?

The information _might_ give you a place to start,, however choosing a
broad spectrum reliable server is a far wiser method - look to posters
headers and note which servers they are using to help you choose. That has
been the time honored proven 'best' route.

>If not, then why does Dialog present it?

Some news.client software writers are rather romantic in their view of what
we(tinw) "want" :->

>How can I tell from that information which is the most updated or best
>updated news server?

Unless one refreshes the list constantly and takes notes (spreadsheet
style) I seriously doubt anyone could "tell".

>Basically, I'm confused how to choose the best server when I need to ask a
>question of a newsgroup I have never been on before, in order to get the
>most complete news for that specific newsgroup.

Your question now is different to the topic you chose.
whatever...
If you are thinking you need a brace of servers for a plethora of
newsgroups then no, forget that concept.
If you are thinking one server is "better" than another for the same
newsgroup then usually that is not correct also.
In a nutshell?
Any of the prime subscription servers will get you pretty much anywhere..
and a whole lot more. The three "free" servers listed above will suffice in
most newsgroups holding text posts in text only groups. ES(esept) also
holds text messages in _some_ binary newsgroups _and_ allows posting of
text messages to those newsgroups.

[ps]
I post (here) this copy of my post into
<alt.free.newsservers+news.software.readers> for your convenience as there
is no way to know which newsgroups you are reading. I have also set
[followupTo] to the newsgroup I read : <alt.free.newsservers>

HTH