Reminder: Your email application or device may be out of date

leonard hofstatder

Dec 13, 2022, 7:19:33 PM12/13/22
We noticed you're accessing your Comcast.net email through an older
email application or device, such as an older smartphone. Unfortunately,
some older devices, operating systems, and email applications don't
support current security protocols and therefore put your data at risk.

All test emails: PASS *

---- xfinity-...@alerts.xfinity.com
account 1 = PASS
account 2 = PASS
account 3 = PASS
account 4 - PASS
account 5 = PASS
account 6 = PASS
account 7 = PASS
----

* assuming becuase they all use same outgoing server

Big Al

Dec 14, 2022, 11:04:30 AM12/14/22
If you're using IMAP, what about Oauth2?

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 14, 2022, 11:39:05 AM12/14/22
Have you ever seen a generic smartphone email app that makes it straight
forward to set up IMAP itself, regardless of the need to set up OAuth2
as well?

Big Al

Dec 14, 2022, 2:16:38 PM12/14/22
Nope! I try to stay away from generic items like that. I'm good with the gmail app. Privacy if a farce.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 14, 2022, 3:38:23 PM12/14/22
I'm not sure how people had been setting up email access on smart
phones,

>I'm good with the gmail app. Privacy if a farce.

I tried once to set up a smart phone to check Comcast email. It took me
to what appeared to be a Comcast Web page itself to submit credentials
but I wasn't able to get beyond the page and gave up. I wasn't expecting
to see that when trying to set up IMAP.

I've never been asked to set up OAuth2 for Comcast. I didn't even know
they were doing that.

Peter

Dec 14, 2022, 3:49:41 PM12/14/22
My Samsung Galaxy A52 5G (a 2020 model) using Samsung's e-mail app set
up 2 web-based IMAP accounts automatically using Oauth2. I know that
because both require it and as soon as I finished the easy setup, I
could sign in without any problem.

Big Al

Dec 14, 2022, 3:54:18 PM12/14/22
I don't use my comcast email so I can't testify.

leonard hofstatder

Dec 14, 2022, 4:08:10 PM12/14/22
I use Thunderbird on PC and currently in process of converting all
accounts per instructions found here. So far so good...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/setting-up-thunderbird

(their email should be more specific, all my devices and software are
latest, greatest, up to datest...or so I thought, lol)

Boris

Dec 14, 2022, 11:10:25 PM12/14/22
leonard hofstatder <n....@comcast.net> wrote in news:tnb4qj$2jqeg$1@dont-
email.me:
I use Windows Live Mail on all my Windows machines, and Samsung Email on
my Samsung (circa 2018) phones. All clients are set to use Comcast's
smtp.mail.net for outgoing email. All pass test.

I've received that Xfinity email a few times. I suspect they say, "We
noticed you're accessing your Comcast.net email through an older email
application or device, such as an older smartphone", because Windows
Live Mail is outdated. But, it passes the test.

Big Al

Dec 15, 2022, 8:38:37 AM12/15/22
The link above says tls test. TLS as in a protocol. I'm not sure that's what the email is implying is wrong.

Frank

Jan 11, 2023, 6:52:39 PM1/11/23
On 12/14/2022 11:39 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Got my first smart phone last year, a Samsung. I already had a Samsung
tablet where I could get email and used this utility to set up my phone:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062998/

Email comes in on my phone under the app under the Samsung app. I can
even log into Facebook on the phone as passwords were carried over.