Disable McAfee Data Backup?

Kent McPherson

Dec 6, 2007, 8:49:54 AM12/6/07
Is there a way to disable the McAfee Data Backup tool? It is a resource hog
on startup and whenever it finally pops up a window about doing a backup, I
cancel it anyway. I use TrueImage for backups.

Dean-MN

Dec 6, 2007, 11:13:34 AM12/6/07
Hi, Kent. Data and Backup has been bothering me ever since it was
installed. I didn't dig too deep but came to the conclusion there is no way
to completely disable Data and Backup without killing the whole McAfee
family. It's drastic but it does work.

Go to http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033 and read
carefully the procedure for uninstalling McAfee Consumer Products. When
everything McAfee is gone, go to the McAfee/Comcast Web site and reinstall
the products you want... Dean

VanguardLH

Dec 6, 2007, 12:39:51 PM12/6/07
"Kent McPherson" <ke...@adahighlander.com> wrote in message

I don't use the McAfee security suite that Comcast customers can get
for free. About the only product in the suite that I would install
anyway is their anti-virus product but I use something else that
consumes far less resources and has proven to have equal or better
pest coverage. But I recall when trialing the McAfee suite that you
got a choice as to what components to install by doing a custom
install. Although you could uninstall and then do a custom reinstall,
you might also be able to use the entry in Add/Remove Programs to
rerun their install setup program and deselect their backup component.