DVR'd shows won't delete

Nil

Mar 4, 2014, 1:31:31 AM3/4/14
This is regarding my Xfinity X1 DVR/STB box...

Sunday I successfully DVRed the show "True Detective", and it's
available to be watched. But now in Saved | Recordings there is a
category at the top of the list called "Not Available," and that
category includes a duplicate of that same episode of "True Detective".
If I try to watch the "unavailable" episode, I get the error message,
"Unable to Find This Recording - There may be a problem with your DVR.
Please check your "Den" DVR connections, be sure its plugged into a
power source then try again."

I'm able to delete that odd entry... sort of. When I delete it, it does
move to the "Deleted" category. However, when I go to that category and
attempt to permanently delete it, I get the error message, "Failed to
erase recordings. It appears that you "Den" DVR isn't plugged in. In
order to erase these shows, the set-top box must be connected to a
power source."

That was just one example. Another: I had the DVR scheduled to record
the "Bob's Burgers" series, and for every episode properly recorded, I
would also get one or two "unavailable" episodes. I now have 33
episodes listed as Deleted that won't actually delete. And a bunch of
other old programs.

I haven't been in the mood to call Comcast yet, but I was wondering if
anyone here had experienced this before? My concern is that these
undeleteable episodes are filling up the DVR. I still have plenty of
room left for now, but I'm keeping tabs on the percentage used.

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 4, 2014, 9:17:28 AM3/4/14
I would never use X1, not till others tell us it's no longer a horrid
experience. Nevertheless, that problem sounds like the usual problems
we've all had with Motorola DVRs Comcast has rented to us for years.
They require rebooting from time to time: Unplugging the power cord,
letting it sit for 30 seconds or so, then plugging it back in. The delete
process hasn't completed and the index needs to be re-done and space
allocation recalculated, all of which won't happen till reboot.

I wouldn't be surprised if X1 boxes require rebooting from time to time too.

Nil

Mar 4, 2014, 2:24:38 PM3/4/14
On 04 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> I would never use X1, not till others tell us it's no longer a
> horrid experience.

Whoever said it was a "horrible experience"? What's the problem?

When we subscribed, we weren't offered any other choice.

> Nevertheless, that problem sounds like the usual problems we've
> all had with Motorola DVRs Comcast has rented to us for years.
> They require rebooting from time to time: Unplugging the power
> cord, letting it sit for 30 seconds or so, then plugging it back
> in. The delete process hasn't completed and the index needs to be
> re-done and space allocation recalculated, all of which won't
> happen till reboot.

That's not an issue here. I've rebooted the box a bunch of times,
and as I mentioned in the other thread, Comcast reboots it for me
just about every night. Just for good measure, I powered it down and
back up, and the problem is still there.

Anyway, I had some time this morning and felt motivated to call
them. I actually got someone helpful on the phone. His idea (which
had also occurred to me) was that it's related to the first X1 box
that I had. It had a problem and I exchanged it for another one. It
still shows as being related to my account, though it's disabled,
disconnected, and returned. We think that their system is still
trying to "virtually" record the series that I had scheduled before.
That makes the error messages make more sense, because that old box
is, indeed, not "connected to a power source". The guy on the phone
wasn't able to do anything himself, but he understood what I was
saying and he kicked it up to the higher-up techs. I'll call them
back in a couple of days if things don't clear up.

Much more satisfactory than my last (online chat) conversation with
Comcast tech support.

> I wouldn't be surprised if X1 boxes require rebooting from time to
> time too.

I believe it. Most computers are like that.

Frank

Mar 4, 2014, 2:45:42 PM3/4/14
I ran into the need to the reboot problem just once.

Most of the time our unreliable power company does it for me.

If DVR hard drive is like computers, deleting a file does not remove it
but just allows it to be overwritten so it is still there until that
happens.

Speaking of calling Comcast, I mentioned that last tech that helped me
was in the Philippines. I had cause to talk to a Microsoft tech last
week and he was also in the Philippines. Said they are big there.
Wonder if the same guys pick up the phone for the separate companies? ;)

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 4, 2014, 5:50:25 PM3/4/14
Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>On 04 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>>I would never use X1, not till others tell us it's no longer a
>>horrid experience.

>Whoever said it was a "horrible experience"? What's the problem?

There had plenty of discussion of the box's unreliability in this newsgroup.

>>Nevertheless, that problem sounds like the usual problems we've
>>all had with Motorola DVRs Comcast has rented to us for years.
>>They require rebooting from time to time: Unplugging the power
>>cord, letting it sit for 30 seconds or so, then plugging it back
>>in. The delete process hasn't completed and the index needs to be
>>re-done and space allocation recalculated, all of which won't
>>happen till reboot.

>That's not an issue here. I've rebooted the box a bunch of times,
>and as I mentioned in the other thread, Comcast reboots it for me
>just about every night. Just for good measure, I powered it down and
>back up, and the problem is still there.

Ah. I didn't associate this thread with the other thread.

>Anyway, I had some time this morning and felt motivated to call
>them. I actually got someone helpful on the phone. His idea (which
>had also occurred to me) was that it's related to the first X1 box
>that I had. It had a problem and I exchanged it for another one. It
>still shows as being related to my account, though it's disabled,
>disconnected, and returned.

dear gawd

Glad you found someone helpful, but having returned equipment known
to be checked in still associated with your account is incompetant in
the extreme.

Philaberto Contreras

Mar 4, 2014, 7:37:42 PM3/4/14
On 03/04/2014 05:50 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Glad you found someone helpful, but having returned equipment known
> to be checked in still associated with your account is incompetant in
> the extreme.

And you appear to be an incompetent drama queen!

Nil

Mar 4, 2014, 9:49:01 PM3/4/14
On 04 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> There had plenty of discussion of the box's unreliability in this
> newsgroup.

Oh? Not since I've been here. Would you mind mentioning a few of the
more significant points?

I really don't see much of anything in my X1 box that's significantly
worse than my previous Comcast or Verizon DVRs, and there are a few
things that are better. They all did pretty much the same things. The
differences are mainly cosmetic.

> dear gawd
>
> Glad you found someone helpful, but having returned equipment
> known to be checked in still associated with your account is
> incompetant in the extreme.

How is that "incompetent"? I would expect them to have a record of my
previous equipment. Wouldn't you?

If you know anything about computers, you would know that shit happens
sometimes. This example is no big deal to me, it's mainly a minor
annoyance. They sounded interested in resolving the issue and I'm
willing to let them try.

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 5, 2014, 12:20:53 AM3/5/14
Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>On 04 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>>There had plenty of discussion of the box's unreliability in this
>>newsgroup.

>Oh? Not since I've been here. Would you mind mentioning a few of the
>more significant points?

The significant point was the box not recording programs that had been
scheduled to be recorded.

>>dear gawd

>>Glad you found someone helpful, but having returned equipment
>>known to be checked in still associated with your account is
>>incompetant in the extreme.

>How is that "incompetent"? I would expect them to have a record of my
>previous equipment. Wouldn't you?

I would expect there to be a record in the billing system. I would not
expect there to be a record in the system that controls what signals are
sent to equipment on the subscriber's premisis once the equipment has
been checked in.

>If you know anything about computers, you would know that shit happens
>sometimes. This example is no big deal to me, it's mainly a minor
>annoyance. They sounded interested in resolving the issue and I'm
>willing to let them try.

I don't have a good experience getting problems resolved in one phone call.
Perhaps the man you spoke to will actually follow through as promised. If
that's the case, try to get his contact information and deal with him
exclusively.

Nil

Mar 11, 2014, 3:04:19 PM3/11/14
On 04 Mar 2014, Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> I haven't been in the mood to call Comcast yet, but I was
> wondering if anyone here had experienced this before? My concern
> is that these undeleteable episodes are filling up the DVR. I
> still have plenty of room left for now, but I'm keeping tabs on
> the percentage used.

Well, I finally got in the mood, and got Comcast to fix it for me.

The problem was that I had over 100 programs listed as "deleted", but I
couldn't permanently delete them. Also, every once in a while, new
programs would show up as being available, but when I would try to
actually view them, I'd get an error message saying that the DVR was
unplugged. The error messages referenced an X1 STB/DVR box that I had
exchanged for another one several weeks ago.

My first call to Comcast got me to a 1st tier guy who couldn't do
anything directly, but he said he'd escalate it to the techs. I waited
a few days, and nothing happened. Then I got a robot call that asked me
if the problem had been resolved, and if not, to call a certain phone
number and reference my ticket number. Unfortunately, the only rattled
off the phone number once before hanging up, and I had no pencil handy,
and couldn't get the number. So, I had to call the original number that
I had gotten off my bill.

That took me back to square one. The guy I spoke to seemed more
knowledgeable than the first one. He had me try a few things, that
didn't cure anything, but did help clarify the source of the problem,
which was that their system still had a record of previously deleted
and scheduled programs from the old box. Nothing was actually on my new
DVR, but the entries were showing up there. He escalated the problem to
the techs.

I waited a few more days, and nothing changed. Then I got another one
of those same robot calls asking if the problem had resolved or not. I
had missed the call this time and so was able to replay it and get the
number to call.

This phone number got me right in touch with a technical guy who could
actually put his fingers on the appropriate buttons. He understood what
was going on and it took only a few minutes before all those bogus DVR
listings were gone. The guy was very friendly and competent. It's been
a couple of days now, and the problem seems to be fixed for good.

So, it took about a week and a 3 phone calls, but things were
eventually resolved. I rate this as a fairly good experience. It took
longer than I would have liked, but everyone I spoke to was as helpful
as they could be, considering their place in the bureaucracy and the
unusual issue. The experience was a lot more satisfactory than when I
used Comcast's online chat thing to try to help fix another problem I
was having. That time I got some offshore guy who had no clue what I
was talking about and who was unwilling to deviate from his script.
That was a total unproductive waste of time.

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 11, 2014, 8:02:33 PM3/11/14
Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>This phone number got me right in touch with a technical guy who could
>actually put his fingers on the appropriate buttons. He understood what
>was going on and it took only a few minutes before all those bogus DVR
>listings were gone. The guy was very friendly and competent. It's been
>a couple of days now, and the problem seems to be fixed for good.

So, what was the issue?

Frank

Mar 11, 2014, 8:17:28 PM3/11/14
Most of us know that the first call to Comcast is going to result in
more calls and a tremendous waste of time. Sometimes good to come here
first.

It is not just Comcast.

Nil

Mar 11, 2014, 8:26:39 PM3/11/14
On 11 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> So, what was the issue?

It had to do with the X1 "cloud storage" features where, apparently,
your DVR listings are held or backed up. When they swapped boxes, the
old schedule and list of deleted programs was still up there and would
replicate on the new box, but of course the actual programs weren't
there. It was complicated by my naming the new box "Den" just like the
old one. Renaming the new box made it clearer what was happening. It
just took getting to a support tech who could actually touch the system
to get it resolved. He either deleted the old cloud data or
disassociated it from my account, and all is now well.

Nil

Mar 11, 2014, 8:44:39 PM3/11/14
On 11 Mar 2014, Frank <frankdo...@comcast.net> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> Most of us know that the first call to Comcast is going to result
> in more calls and a tremendous waste of time. Sometimes good to
> come here first.

I understand that they have their bureaucratic chain, as do all large
service companies. You just have to learn how to work it and what to
expect. I don't mind that, to a point. In this case, the lower-level
guys were sharp enough, and I like to think I was able to explain it in
terms they could understand, and I got sent up the chain. The one place
the process broke down a little bit was the first robot call I
received, where the stated the callback number once only with no way to
get it if you missed it. That sent be back to the start of the
Candyland trail.

> It is not just Comcast.

You're right about that. I had Comcast for many years before switching
to Verizon for a couple of years. On the whole, I think Comcast's
support is better, though they both have their weaknesses.

Frank

Mar 12, 2014, 8:27:56 AM3/12/14
I've mentioned before that Verizon still maintains that old telephone
company mentality that they are the only game in town and customers can
take it or leave it.

We've been going nuts with a completely different issue dealing with an
insurance company. You hate to call any of these bastards cause you
know you are in for a long frustrating time.

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 12, 2014, 11:31:53 AM3/12/14
Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>On 11 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>>So, what was the issue?

>It had to do with the X1 "cloud storage" features where, apparently,
>your DVR listings are held or backed up. When they swapped boxes, the
>old schedule and list of deleted programs was still up there and would
>replicate on the new box, but of course the actual programs weren't
>there. It was complicated by my naming the new box "Den" just like the
>old one. Renaming the new box made it clearer what was happening. It
>just took getting to a support tech who could actually touch the system
>to get it resolved. He either deleted the old cloud data or
>disassociated it from my account, and all is now well.

That's ridiculous that the subscriber's use of the same name, which is
just a pseudonym, would cause conflict in rebuilding indexes. Why not
use a unique number like an uncloned MAC address? You're not giving me
any confidence that you're still not being charged to beta test their
not-quite-ready-for-prime-time X1 platform.

I think I'll wait yet another generation to try any of these boxes.

Nil

Mar 12, 2014, 2:34:10 PM3/12/14
On 12 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> That's ridiculous that the subscriber's use of the same name,
> which is just a pseudonym, would cause conflict in rebuilding

I didn't say that it caused it, and I don't believe it did. I suspect
that the installer accidentally skipped a step when he swapped the new
box in.

> Why not use a unique number like an uncloned MAC address?

I'm certain that they do.

> You're not giving me any confidence that you're still not being
> charged to beta test their not-quite-ready-for-prime-time X1
> platform.

My intention isn't to give you confidence or not.

Nil

Mar 12, 2014, 2:41:51 PM3/12/14
On 12 Mar 2014, Frank <frankdo...@comcast.net> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> I've mentioned before that Verizon still maintains that old
> telephone company mentality that they are the only game in town
> and customers can take it or leave it.

Definitely. Verizon's attitude on the phone was arrogant and I always
felt they were subtly trying to make it difficult for me to resolve my
issues. The man on the street, the installers and the people at their
service centers were pretty easy to work with, but it their corporate
side has an adversarial attitude.

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 12, 2014, 7:10:08 PM3/12/14
Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>On 12 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>>That's ridiculous that the subscriber's use of the same name,
>>which is just a pseudonym, would cause conflict in rebuilding

>I didn't say that it caused it, and I don't believe it did. I suspect
>that the installer accidentally skipped a step when he swapped the new
>box in.

The index synchronization failed because, even though the box had been
checked in on the billing system, the server still believed the box was
on your account. If the box in question isn't hooked up, and the server
can't see that the box is hooked up, perhaps it should stop trying
to update it. Not sure how the installer could have done something that
affects the server.

>>Why not use a unique number like an uncloned MAC address?

>I'm certain that they do.

>>You're not giving me any confidence that you're still not being
>>charged to beta test their not-quite-ready-for-prime-time X1
>>platform.

>My intention isn't to give you confidence or not.

Success!

Earlier, you'd questioned why I hadn't switched and what the problems
were that other subscribers had discussed on Usenet. The problem you had
is something I hadn' heard of before.

I'm not switching any time soon, at least not according to a note on
my most recent bill: Beginning 2/3/2014, a one-time X1 Platform Upgrade fee
of $99.99 may apply to existing XFINITY customers upgrading to the
X1 services platform.

That's Comcast's idea of advance notice, as my bill was dated 14th.

Nil

Mar 12, 2014, 11:38:22 PM3/12/14
On 12 Mar 2014, "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote in
alt.online-service.comcast:

> The index synchronization failed because, even though the box had
> been checked in on the billing system, the server still believed
> the box was on your account. If the box in question isn't hooked
> up, and the server can't see that the box is hooked up, perhaps it
> should stop trying to update it. Not sure how the installer could
> have done something that affects the server.

I can imagine that the installer didn't fully de-register the old box
after hooking up the new box.

> Earlier, you'd questioned why I hadn't switched

Well, no, I didn't ask that.

> I'm not switching any time soon, at least not according to a note
> on my most recent bill: Beginning 2/3/2014, a one-time X1 Platform
> Upgrade fee of $99.99 may apply to existing XFINITY customers
> upgrading to the X1 services platform.

There was a promotional thing going on when we subscribed and we got
the X1 for no additional installation fee.

Frank

Mar 13, 2014, 8:20:23 AM3/13/14
On 3/12/2014 2:41 PM, Nil wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2014, Frank <frankdo...@comcast.net> wrote in
> alt.online-service.comcast:
>
>> I've mentioned before that Verizon still maintains that old
>> telephone company mentality that they are the only game in town
>> and customers can take it or leave it.
>
> Definitely. Verizon's attitude on the phone was arrogant and I always
> felt they were subtly trying to make it difficult for me to resolve my
> issues. The man on the street, the installers and the people at their
> service centers were pretty easy to work with, but it their corporate
> side has an adversarial attitude.

I'd call Verizon about static on the phone line and first thing they
would say is if we send someone out there and the problem is in your
house you will have to pay.

Knowing this, I would always plug a phone in the box outside to make
sure it was their problem.

So I would tell them the problem is definitely outside the house and
they would ask what time I would be home so they could send someone out.

How much sense does that make?

Then years ago I had a billing issue with AT&T and they were impossible
to deal with. I got so pissed, I was going to take the issue to
magistrates court but they referred me to the state AG's office who
solved the problem.

Today my land line is hooked up through FIOS and they constantly hound
me to take the full service. I just told one of the pests yesterday
that I would sign up for their triple play at $79/mo - final offer ;)