IR Blaster and Comcast Box

Phil Anderson

Oct 25, 2012, 4:44:23 PM10/25/12
Hopefully Not Off Topic. I have a new PC and I've been
trying to get Media Center set up. I've gone through all
the steps and everything works but the IR blaster will not
change the channel on my Comcast STB. Has anyone had
experience with this? Is IR enabled by default on the STB?
I would really like help from someone that has successfully
done the actual setup. Any ideas on where to research this
if not here?

I won't go into all the gory details but I have spent four
days researching the net, numerous calls to HP including let
them log on to my computer remotely and two calls to
Microsoft.

Windows 7 Pro, Hauppauge WinTv 723x, which is not listed on
their site. The HP PC did not come with any documentation
regarding the TV card or the two IR cables, both send and
receive. I can watch TV but I have to change the channel
using the original remote for the STB.

Thanks for any assistance!

Phil

Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake, Washington
Visit My Web Site www.philsfun.com

Barry Margolin

Oct 25, 2012, 4:49:53 PM10/25/12
In article <k6c8b3$b5j$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Phil Anderson" <madronaw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hopefully Not Off Topic. I have a new PC and I've been
> trying to get Media Center set up. I've gone through all
> the steps and everything works but the IR blaster will not
> change the channel on my Comcast STB. Has anyone had
> experience with this? Is IR enabled by default on the STB?
> I would really like help from someone that has successfully
> done the actual setup. Any ideas on where to research this
> if not here?

Of course IR is enabled, how do you think the remote works?

What model STB do you have, and what IR code are you using?

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Phil Anderson

Oct 26, 2012, 1:17:23 AM10/26/12

"Barry Margolin" wrote in message
Sorry, Barry, I should have said is the IR input on the back
of the box enabled. I was going to see if I could get an IR
cable that had a mini plug on both ends. I don't know if
that would work any better but it's not going to work any
worse. I can't find a brand on the box. It's smaller than
the full size boxes we have elsewhere in the house. It's
not a DVR, just receives all the channels including pay
channels that would be otherwise scrambled. The only
identification I can find on it is this number, RNG 110. I
don't know how to find out what IR code is in use, that is
not something that comes up in the setup. I'm just using
the IR blaster that came with the computer.

Thanks again for any help.

Phil

Ken Whiton

Oct 26, 2012, 5:12:01 AM10/26/12
*-* On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, at 22:17:23 -0700,
*-* In Article <k6d6d3$u82$1...@dont-email.me>,
*-* Phil Anderson wrote
*-* About Re: IR Blaster and Comcast Box

> "Barry Margolin" wrote in message

>> In article <k6c8b3$b5j$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> "Phil Anderson" <madronaw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hopefully Not Off Topic. I have a new PC and I've been
>>> trying to get Media Center set up. I've gone through all
>>> the steps and everything works but the IR blaster will not
>>> change the channel on my Comcast STB. Has anyone had
>>> experience with this? Is IR enabled by default on the STB?
>>> I would really like help from someone that has successfully
>>> done the actual setup. Any ideas on where to research this
>>> if not here?

>> Of course IR is enabled, how do you think the remote works?

>> What model STB do you have, and what IR code are you using?

> Sorry, Barry, I should have said is the IR input on the back of the
> box enabled. I was going to see if I could get an IR cable that had
> a mini plug on both ends. I don't know if that would work any
> better but it's not going to work any worse. I can't find a brand
> on the box. It's smaller than the full size boxes we have elsewhere
> in the house. It's not a DVR, just receives all the channels
> including pay channels that would be otherwise scrambled. The only
> identification I can find on it is this number, RNG 110.

The RNG 110 is a Pace box
(<http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/cable-box-user-manuals/>),
just over halfway down the page.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Phil Anderson

Oct 26, 2012, 11:52:44 AM10/26/12

"Ken Whiton" wrote in message
Thanks for the link, Ken. I read everything there and
looked at the illustrations. It does show the IR connection
on the back of the box, but doesn't make any other mention
of it. I also read Comcast's instructions for setting up
Media Center with one of their set top boxes. It appears I
have done everything right, but I still can't get my Media
Center remote to change channels on the STB. I just don't
know where to go from here. HP wants to blame the box
because I can see the red light blinking on the IR blaster
when I enter buttons to make the channel change. I thought
they were dead wrong, but now I'm not so sure.

Any other help or suggestions, appreciated.

Phil

wfb...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2013, 2:41:58 PM8/20/13
Hopefully you have long ago resolved this, but I ran into a similar issue. In the past I have taped the IR Blaster emitter directly over the set top box receiver eye. With the Xfinity X1 box, this did not work.

It appears that the emitter needs to be at least 3"-4" away from the eye. I am still working on the details, but at least the box is now responding.