Xfinity Connect Java Error Setting Email/Voicemail Prefs

Margaret

Dec 30, 2011, 3:51:26 PM12/30/11
I don't use my Comcast email, but I upgraded to the Triple Play package
over a year ago, so I do use web access to manage voicemail, etc. I've
been able to successfully block specific callers, etc.

Once Comcast announced a new feature where we could turn on voicemail
translation to text, however, attempts to change any settings in the
Call Manager generate an error message, "A network service error has
occurred."

There's an option to show details, as well as an option to "send error
report." I've send the error reports to Comcast with no response
whatsoever. See screen capture here: http://goo.gl/SSogW

I can duplicate this error on two machines via the latest (and older)
versions of Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer. Further, Java works
fine, too.

It's great that Comcast added a new feature, but considering adding this
new feature broke access to all notification, call forwarding and call
screening feature settings, I'm pretty miffed.

Can anyone advise on this situation?

Thanks and Regards,

Margaret

meagain

Jan 1, 2012, 7:51:21 PM1/1/12
The first step is often to clear your browser's cache and try again.

Margaret

Jan 2, 2012, 10:48:12 AM1/2/12
Cache has been cleared. Also, I rarely use Chrome and never use
Internet Explorer, except to troubleshoot. It would seem that the
browser cache is *not* the problem.

meagain

Jan 2, 2012, 5:04:13 PM1/2/12
Ok. Do you recognize that Comcast only supports Internet Explorer?

Barry Margolin

Jan 2, 2012, 5:14:31 PM1/2/12
In article <jdt9kt$ng2$1...@dont-email.me>,
meagain <rick0....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok. Do you recognize that Comcast only supports Internet Explorer?

"Support" means that they'll answer questions about it, it doesn't mean
that other browsers aren't expected to work with it.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

meagain

Jan 2, 2012, 7:15:51 PM1/2/12
Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article<jdt9kt$ng2$1...@dont-email.me>,
> meagain<rick0....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok. Do you recognize that Comcast only supports Internet Explorer?
>
> "Support" means that they'll answer questions about it, it doesn't mean
> that other browsers aren't expected to work with it.

Quite right, but increasingly I have found problems if your
browser is not 'recognized' or your javascript is not up to date.

Seth Goodman

Jan 2, 2012, 7:43:47 PM1/2/12
In article <jdt9kt$ng2$1...@dont-email.me>, rick0....@gmail.com wrote:
> Ok. Do you recognize that Comcast only supports Internet Explorer?

"
XFINITY Connect officially supports the following browsers

For PC
Internet Explorer 6 SP2 or higher
Firefox 2.0 or higher
For Mac
Firefox 2.0 or higher
Safari 2 or higher

For optimal performance we recommend these browsers:

Firefox 3.5 or higher
Internet Explorer 7 or higher
Safari 3 or higher\
"

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/xfinity-connect-
supported-browsers/

--
Seth Goodman

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 2, 2012, 8:04:09 PM1/2/12
meagain <rick0....@gmail.com.spamless> wrote:
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>>meagain<rick0....@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Ok. Do you recognize that Comcast only supports Internet Explorer?

>>"Support" means that they'll answer questions about it, it doesn't mean
>>that other browsers aren't expected to work with it.

>Quite right, but increasingly I have found problems if your
>browser is not 'recognized' or your javascript is not up to date.

I have version 1.8 in the most recent Firefox, 9.0.1. I have the same
version on 3.6.25, which I continue to run on another machine. Oddly,
Mozilla continues to support 3.6, so I guess these have been JS updates.

Can you give an example of a Web site that bitches about out-of-date JS?
There is no shortage of Web sites that won't even give you a menu if
JS isn't allowed, but I've never encountered one that complains about
out-of-date JS.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Margaret

Jan 3, 2012, 3:34:42 PM1/3/12
Bill wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:04:13 -0500, meagain<rick0....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Margaret wrote:

>>> Cache has been cleared. Also, I rarely use Chrome and never use Internet Explorer,
>>> except to troubleshoot. It would seem that the browser cache is *not* the problem.
>>
>> Ok. Do you recognize that Comcast only supports Internet Explorer?
>>

> Do you recognize that she said she tried Internet Explorer?
>
> She said, "I can duplicate this error on two machines via the latest
> (and older) versions of Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer."

Thank you for reading my post, Bill! It would be nice if I could get a
response by someone who actually understands the technology behind the
error message or who can or can't duplicate the error.

As a former IT pro with 20+ years of experience, I only post after I've
tried everything I know to try.

Regards,

Margaret

Margaret

Jan 3, 2012, 3:33:06 PM1/3/12
If you'd read my original post prior to spouting off the top of your
head, meagain, you'd recall that I tested this issue with the latest
versions of each of three browsers: IE, Firefox and Chrome. All
exhibited the same symptoms. Further, both machines that duplicate this
problem are running the latest version of Java and render other java
content just fine.

Regards,

Margaret

Message has been deleted

meagain

Jan 4, 2012, 10:56:17 AM1/4/12
Bill wrote:
> I think Rick meant Java, not javascript. (Whether he knows it or not.)

I didn't :-) but I have recently begun to see sites that work with
javascript in IE8 but not in SM2.6.1 in secure banking websites.
Sometimes 'user agent' change help, sometimes not.

Javascript rarely provides "bitchrd" - just blank pages.

meagain

Jan 4, 2012, 10:59:15 AM1/4/12

Let's start again (rather than comparing yrs of experience):
WHAT is the ERROR?
What is the website?

nobody-at-all

Jan 5, 2012, 6:52:40 PM1/5/12

"Margaret" <moogoo...@gmx.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
Looks like an error on Comcast's part. Nothing you can do about it except
notify them which is likely to make you feel like you're beating yoor head
against a wall. Eventually they will probably work out the bugs. Check
back every once in a while to see if it works.

meagain

Jan 6, 2012, 10:32:35 AM1/6/12
Going through http://xfinityconnect.mail.comcast.net/ from Massachusetts
I too have 'triple play' and have enabled text conversion. Some are
very good and some are garbled like the game "telephone" - it depends
upon the enunciation of the speaker ;-)

When I change preferences and save it works fine,
"http://sz0155.wc.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=voice#1"
is displayed.

I use SeaMonkey2.6.1 with Javascript enabled for web pages.

In other words, I cannot repeat the problem.

Margaret

Jan 6, 2012, 10:33:41 AM1/6/12
Thanks for confirming my suspicions! I check back every now and then
and send yet another error report when it fails. The other day I
happened upon their suggestion box, so I included a not-so-gentle nudge
there, too. Whenever I implemented a new system that didn't function as
expected, I rolled it back till we got the bugs worked out. And I
worked for a relatively small operation compared to Comcast. Amazing
how these giants think it's OK to roll out a new feature that entirely
breaks the existing system ... and just leave it like that for weeks and
weeks!

Anyway, thanks! :-)

Regards,

Margaret

Margaret

Jan 6, 2012, 10:39:45 AM1/6/12
<flame>
As you discovered, this information was in my original post. How many
years of experience does it take to learn to read?
</flame>

Margaret

Jan 6, 2012, 10:44:41 AM1/6/12
Thanks for *finally* reading my original post! It's amazing what can be
accomplished when one actually reads instead of blindly flexing one's
perceived technical muscles.

Regards,

Margaret

Margaret

Jan 6, 2012, 11:12:52 AM1/6/12
Just remembered:
A few days ago I googled the error, and I got a few hits re Zimbra
administration that didn't relate directly to this problem. Though I
know little about Java & Javascript, it appears the system requests the
list of features, but either no (or an unexpected) response is returned.
I have Javascript enabled (and have disabled all extensions in
Firefox), yet using your (very similar) browser, the system functions
correctly.

Now I had previously used the system to configure notifications and call
screening, whereas it seems your first time using the system was *after*
the new feature was implemented. Our browsers are close enough that we
can almost rule out the browser as the culprit. As I'm in Michigan and
you're in Massachusetts, i.e., different markets, it's unlikely that
we're accessing the exact same system. So it seems the system works
under some conditions and not others, making the cause of this error
more difficult to troubleshoot.

I still have the error, but at least now I have a much better
understanding of the issues at hand, which is what I was after.

Thanks for your response,

Margaret

nobody-at-all

Jan 6, 2012, 4:09:28 PM1/6/12

"Margaret" <moogoo...@gmx.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
They've done it before. Were you around for the FTP "upgrade"? It is what
can happen when some compaies essentially have a monopoly. You as a
customer are always wrong.

meagain

Jan 7, 2012, 12:20:08 PM1/7/12
You're welcome, and I'm glad we're on better terms now. Google can do amazing things!

I agree we may not be accessing the "same' system, but you could share the IP
address of the one you see, then we could test it from other locations.

Margaret

Jan 8, 2012, 1:50:42 PM1/8/12
I don't recall the FTP upgrade fiasco, but for many years I ran my own
FTP server, so I probably missed it. :-)

Regards,

Margaret

Margaret

Jan 8, 2012, 2:05:35 PM1/8/12
Here's the IP address: 76.96.32.98

Margaret

Jan 8, 2012, 2:24:35 PM1/8/12
76.96.32.98
Hostname: http://szhomewest-vip1.cmc.co.ndcwest.comcast.net/

And here's another one:

76.96.26.218
Hostname: http://sz0152a.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net/

Probably not so easy to test....

meagain

Jan 8, 2012, 4:32:55 PM1/8/12
Not easy - in fact it is 'gone':
Sam Spade finds it is virtually shut down!
Perhaps they are investigating! It redirects
users to login.comcast.net
---

01/08/12 16:31:08 Browsing http://76.96.32.98/
Fetching http://76.96.32.98/ ...
GET / HTTP/1.1

Host: 76.96.32.98
Connection: close

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 21:31:09 GMT

Server: Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_jk/1.2.28
PHP/5.1.6

Location: https://login.comcast.net/login?s=wnamp

Connection: close

Message has been deleted

meagain

Jan 9, 2012, 3:35:58 PM1/9/12
Bill wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:32:55 -0500, meagain<rick0....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Margaret wrote:
>>> Probably not so easy to test....
>>
>> Not easy - in fact it is 'gone':
>> Sam Spade finds it is virtually shut down!
>> Perhaps they are investigating! It redirects
>> users to login.comcast.net
>> ---
>>
>> 01/08/12 16:31:08 Browsing http://76.96.32.98/
>> Fetching http://76.96.32.98/ ...
>> GET / HTTP/1.1
>>
>> Host: 76.96.32.98
>> Connection: close

>> HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
>
> I wouldn't expect to see a 302 if it was truly shut down.

Right, so I used the word 'virtually' - it forwards to the
generic and thus remains geographic location specific.

Margaret

Jan 9, 2012, 6:19:05 PM1/9/12
I figured access was limited by geography, but also figured if I said
that up front, I'd be wrong. ;-)

Oh well, thanks all for your help. As Bill said way back in this
thread, I guess I just have to wait for Comcast to fix it.

Sigh....

Regards,

Margaret

Margaret

Jan 9, 2012, 6:37:33 PM1/9/12
Interestingly enough, it's sending me to yet another IP at "Inbox Preview":

69.241.45.46
http://szhomeeast-vip1.westchester.pa.bo.comcast.net/

But when I click on "Email and Voice Preferences," it sends me to:

76.96.26.218
http://sz0152a.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net/

Looks like the system is divvied up quite well. Not surprising
considering the size of Comcast's customer base.

Regards,

Margaret

Steve Baker

Jan 9, 2012, 8:35:34 PM1/9/12
wrote:
>> 76.96.26.218
>> Hostname: http://sz0152a.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net/
>>
>> Probably not so easy to test....
>
>Not easy - in fact it is 'gone':
>Sam Spade finds it is virtually shut down!
>Perhaps they are investigating! It redirects
>users to login.comcast.net
>---
>
>01/08/12 16:31:08 Browsing http://76.96.32.98/
>Fetching http://76.96.32.98/ ...
>GET / HTTP/1.1
>
>Host: 76.96.32.98

You should do a little research on what that Host: line means. Using
the IP address as the host name in a URL often tells you nothing about
what's going on at a web server.

--
Steve Baker

Margaret

Jan 27, 2012, 12:54:27 PM1/27/12
Margaret wrote:
> I don't use my Comcast email, but I upgraded to the Triple Play package
> over a year ago, so I do use web access to manage voicemail, etc. I've
> been able to successfully block specific callers, etc.
>
> Once Comcast announced a new feature where we could turn on voicemail
> translation to text, however, attempts to change any settings in the
> Call Manager generate an error message, "A network service error has
> occurred."
>
> There's an option to show details, as well as an option to "send error
> report." I've send the error reports to Comcast with no response
> whatsoever. See screen capture here: http://goo.gl/SSogW
>
> I can duplicate this error on two machines via the latest (and older)
> versions of Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer. Further, Java works
> fine, too.
>
> It's great that Comcast added a new feature, but considering adding this
> new feature broke access to all notification, call forwarding and call
> screening feature settings, I'm pretty miffed.
>
> Can anyone advise on this situation?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Margaret

I just checked now, and it seems that Comcast has *finally* fixed it.
Amazing. I should go play the lottery ... for once in my life. ;-)

Regards,

Margaret