Arizona stagecoach routes

Josh

Jan 30, 2003, 1:57:47 AM1/30/03

Howdy all,

Anyone know of a place where I can find maps/records of the Arizona stagecoach
routes in the 1880s? I know Benson was a hub... Is the road connecting Benson
and Tombstone (80) essentially the same route used by the stagecoaches of the
day?

Thanks for any info.

Steve Grimm

Jan 30, 2003, 9:26:03 PM1/30/03
It may take some searching, but you may be able to find something here:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html

"Josh" <jd...@aol.communique> wrote in message

Roy L. Ballou

Jan 31, 2003, 9:48:10 AM1/31/03
In article <20030130015747...@mb-mr.aol.com>, jd...@aol.communique
says...

>Anyone know of a place where I can find maps/records of the Arizona stagecoach
>routes in the 1880s?

Several years ago I read a newly published
work that was written by someone who had
done their best to re-trace the old routes
of the Butterfield stage that ran from back
east to the west coast via west Texas and
Arizona. It had maps, both old and new.

Greene, A.C. '900 Miles on Butterfield Trail'

Sorry, I have no publisher but it should be
easy to find on <amazon.com>

laro

Jan 31, 2003, 12:18:41 AM1/31/03
I think I'd be searching a broader subject. As in "Butterfield Stage" and
some of the others. Any lines that served Arizona probably also served
Texas to California. I know one line (I've got the book somewhere) used
the route through Guadalupe Mountains National Park (Tex/NM border).

I've seen lots of routes, but I think in the Library of Congress'
American Memory (ammem) URL below, you can find more.

That was the website I was referring to when I wrote about
the "real cowboys" and photos of same... (another thread).

I have found LOTS of good stuff there over the past few years. Plus,
gotten permission from LOC to use their stuff, just so Steve Grimm
does not think I would commit the crime he has been referring to. :-)

I'll see if I don't have something around here on stage lines/routes....?

"Steve Grimm" <new...@fpcc.net> wrote in message

laro

Jan 31, 2003, 10:53:06 AM1/31/03

"Roy L. Ballou" <bal...@noemailever.com> wrote in message

> Several years ago I read a newly published
> work that was written by someone who had
> done their best to re-trace the old routes
> of the Butterfield stage that ran from back
> east to the west coast via west Texas and
> Arizona. It had maps, both old and new.
>
> Greene, A.C. '900 Miles on Butterfield Trail'

It is easy to find in Barnes and Noble, too, I imagine. I've
got it and keep seeing it on store shelves.

BTW A.C. Greene's son is also a historian of some broad
interest and he used to be a regular on this ng until someone made
one nasty remark too many and he's gone, after a parting shot or two.

We kept in touch for awhile, but he lived in Dallas and who knows
what happens to folks who try to survive up there in Yankee land!

Bill Cooke

Feb 2, 2003, 2:45:38 AM2/2/03
Yea the

Arizona Historical Society - Research Library and Archives
http://w3.arizona.edu/%7Eazhist/

Historical Atlas of Arizona by Henry P. Walker and Don Bufkin has some
information. Listed as sources -

The Handbook of Arizona by Richard J. Hinton.

Arizona Territory: Post Offices & Postmasters by John Theobald and
Lillian Theobald

saintcrai...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2018, 1:03:12 AM9/2/18
I have an old picture showing 6 horses or mules and pulling an unknown stage company stage entitled "Crossing the Rockise" my aunt and uncle's name and the date May 6-7, 1907 I just don't know where ( probably in AZ) they are located and which stage line they are on. The picture had been folded too many times to get any real definition. My great aunt gave birth to a son 9 days later at her parents house near OKC OK Territory. Since there are 6 animals pulling the stage, I would think the terrain was rather rough and steep. Why else would they need the extra 2 animals?