Geronimo's height...the answer!

George Szaszvari

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Having several books about Geronimo, I was surprised that the
answer to this question was so elusive...must be in one of those
biographies somewhere....however, in the meantime I happened
upon a description of Geronimo giving the Great Apache's height
as "....about 5' 11"...." [without a source reference] in a newly
acquired book, *Bad Men: Outlaws & Gunfighters of the Wild West*
by Bob Boze Bell, an indulgent pictorial account of notorious
Old West characters and events...Cochise is also included in the
gallery of "outlaws", so it seems that the author's wife has real
grounds for calling her husband crazy ;0)

--
WWW.TIBET.ORG

ro...@webtv.net

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
As I have heard many times,"Let George do it."

Thanks George, that is the only idication of his heighth that I have
heard. I would go along with that. He has always looked rather squat
to me, but powerfuly built.

I have seen very detailed discriptions of others, including that of
Crazy Horse, Little Big Man,Joseph, Captain Jack and others, but not
Geronimo

Thanks

John

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
I have it on good authority that Geronimo was actually about 5'4" and
had a Napoleon complex. He used to stuff his moccasins with old
newspapers and buffalo chips to look taller. He also originated the
cliché, "White man speak with forked tongue!"

Arizona Vixen

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00

I'm trying to figure out if you posted that with tongue firmly
implanted in cheek. I've seen Bob Boze Bell on the Discovery Channel
as well as the History Channel on any number of occasions, and, unlike
Glen Boyer, is not known for inaccurate information. Is your "good
authority" hearsay?

Vicki
--
Free audio & video emails, greeting cards and forums
Talkway - http://www.talkway.com - Talk more ways (sm)

George Szaszvari

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
In article <389D241C...@uswest.net>, lech...@uswest.net says...

>George Szaszvari wrote:
>> biographies somewhere....however, in the meantime I happened
>> upon a description of Geronimo giving the Great Apache's height
>> as "....about 5' 11"...." [without a source reference] in a newly

>I have it on good authority that Geronimo was actually about 5'4" and

>had a Napoleon complex. He used to stuff his moccasins with old
>newspapers and buffalo chips to look taller. He also originated the
>cliché, "White man speak with forked tongue!"

My dear fellow, would you mind terribly if you shared the identity
of your "good authority" with the rest of us?

I always had the impression that Geronimo was somewhat shorter
than the quoted 5' 11", but he was also a famously strong and
stout individual...without source references it's just your
word against Bob's...as far originating the "forked tongue"
phrase, wasn't it just general descriptive usage for liars going
back to at least Hudson Bay days? Here's another one for you:
luch...@uswest.net trolls with tongue firmly in cheek! *;0)

--
WWW.TIBET.ORG

rbaker

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Does it really matter ?

paghat

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
In article <8Ucn4.4334$OA2.2...@c01read04.service.talkway.com>, "Arizona
Vixen" <vic...@usa.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 00:34:52 -0700 John <lech...@uswest.net> wrote:
> > George Szaszvari wrote:
> > >

> > I have it on good authority that Geronimo was actually about 5'4" and
> > had a Napoleon complex. He used to stuff his moccasins with old
> > newspapers and buffalo chips to look taller. He also originated the
> > cliché, "White man speak with forked tongue!"
>

> I'm trying to figure out if you posted that with tongue firmly
> implanted in cheek.

wow. do you also worry about that chicken crossing the road?

-paghat the ratgirl

Arizona Vixen

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
On 7 Feb 2000 17:02:49 GMT pag...@my-dejaUNSPAMO.com (paghat) wrote:
> In article <8Ucn4.4334$OA2.2...@c01read04.service.talkway.com>, "Arizona
> Vixen" <vic...@usa.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 00:34:52 -0700 John <lech...@uswest.net> wrote:
> > > George Szaszvari wrote:
> > > >

> > > I have it on good authority that Geronimo was actually about 5'4" and
> > > had a Napoleon complex. He used to stuff his moccasins with old
> > > newspapers and buffalo chips to look taller. He also originated the
> > > cliché, "White man speak with forked tongue!"
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out if you posted that with tongue firmly
> > implanted in cheek.
>
> wow. do you also worry about that chicken crossing the road?
>
> -paghat the ratgirl

Well, I know why the chicken crossed the playground, don't you?

To get to the other slide.

(Poultry in motion.)

Todd

Feb 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/8/00
>Well, I know why the chicken crossed the playground, don't you?

To get to the other slide.

> (Poultry in motion.)

CORN, CORN, CORN!!!!

Todd