Glenn Shirley

Steve Grimm

Mar 25, 2002, 12:55:43 AM3/25/02
Respected western historian and author Glenn Shirley died on February
27, 2002. He was my favorite western history author. If it happened in
Oklahoma and was related to the old west Glenn Shirley wrote about it.
His books always present this information in an unbiased manner and he
was a vigilante researcher.

I met Glenn Shirley once at a NOLA meeting and though I was a bumbling
idiot, Shirley was kind, listened and answered my questions. Recently
he was given an award for lifetime achievement (I think that was the
premise) by WOLA and this award will now be called the Glenn Shirley
award.

R.D. Batchelor

Mar 25, 2002, 7:22:53 PM3/25/02
Can you recommend a book by him?

Thanks in advance
-Richard-

citizen

Mar 25, 2002, 9:32:12 PM3/25/02

"R.D. Batchelor" <rdb...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Guardian of the Law : The Life and Times of William Matthew Tilghman, Lawman
and Gunfighter
by Glenn Shirley

Here is one I just got.

Stew

Steve Grimm

Mar 25, 2002, 8:58:16 PM3/25/02

"R.D. Batchelor" wrote:

> Can you recommend a book by him?
>
> Thanks in advance
> -Richard-

Someone mentioned the book on Bill Tilghman which is a good one. Here is a
list of his books (not a complete list). Any of his books are good and it
just depends upon your interest.

THE LAW WEST OF FORT SMITH
WEST OF HELL'S FRINGE.
TEMPLE HOUSTON: LAWYER WITH A GUN.
TOUGHEST OF THEM ALL
PAWNEE BILL
SIX GUN SILVER STAR
HECK THOMAS: FRONTIER MARSHAL, THE STORY OF A REAL GUNFIGHTER.
LAST OF THE REAL BADMEN HENRY STARR
BUCKSKIN AND SPURS - A GALLERY OF FRONTIER ROGUES AND HEROES
THIRTEEN DAYS OF TERROR. THE RUFUS BUCK GANG IN INDIAN TERRITORY.
MARAUDERS OF THE INDIAN NATIONS. THE BILL COOK GANG
THE FIGHTING MARLOWS: MEN WHO WOULDN'T BE LYNCHED
DESPERADO FROM COWBOY FLAT. THE SAGA OF "ZIP" WYATT.
RED YESTERDAYS
BELLE STARR AND HER TIMES: THE LITERATURE, THE FACTS AND THE LEGENDS
GUNFIGHT AT INGALLS: DEATH OF AN OUTLAW TOWN

jaco...@yahoo.com

Jun 4, 2019, 2:05:36 PM6/4/19
Good writer, but amateur researcher at best. His only research method appeared to be from newspapers of the time period and those are as bias as they come, and he didn't do a very good job of using the newspapers either.
In his book "West of Hell's Fringe" p. 28 he quotes a fictitious Jan. 3, 1943 Daily Oklahoman Newspaper article. The Daily Oklahoman apologized for printing the article roughly 3 weeks after it was published calling it "pure fiction".

Chris Saper

Sep 17, 2021, 5:54:45 PM9/17/21
Do you know where I can find his remaining family? I think I am related to him.