Shelby Grant Everett (74); actress, wife of Chad Everett

Chuck

Jun 29, 2011, 8:37:49 PM6/29/11
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/venturacountystar/obituary.aspx?
n=shelby-grant-everett&pid=152267538

Shelby Grant Everett (1936 - 2011)

Shelby Grant Everett passed away June 25, 2011, at the age of 74 from a
sudden brain aneurysm.

Shelby was born in Oklahoma on Oct. 19, 1936, the daughter of Lawrence
and Mae Thompson. After graduating from Oklahoma University, she moved
to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career. She successfully became a
contract player for 20th Century Fox and appeared in such classic films
as the Fantastic Voyage (1966), Our Man Flint (1966), The Witchmaker
(1969), and the Pleasure Seekers (1964). Shelby also had a long list of
independent TV appearances on top rated shows like Marcus Welby, M.D.,
Batman, Bonanza, and multiple appearances on her husband Chad Everett's
series Medical Center.

Shelby married actor Chad Everett on May 22, 1966, in Tucson, Ariz.,
while he was on location filming Return of The Gunfighter. Their
daughters, Kate Thorp and Shannon Everett, graduated and attended San
Diego State University and University Santa Barbara respectively. Shelby
and Chad enjoyed a life of sport and philanthropy together.

Shelby played a mean game of tennis and equally fierce game of Bridge.
She was very athletic and enjoyed Pilates, healthy food, and a nice
Chardonnay. Shelby has been instrumental in the efforts to provide
resources to US Soldiers and for saving the lives of children. Her
relentless efforts allowed these children to receive life saving
surgeries through the Gift of Life and Loma Linda Hospital. Chad and
Shelby have personally sponsored more than 20 heart surgeries for needy
children through The Gift of Life. Shelby and Chad recently celebrated
their 45th wedding anniversary.

Shelby is survived by her husband, Chad Everett; her daughters,
Katherine Thorp, from San Rafael, Calif., and Shannon Everett, from
Carlsbad, Calif.; her brother, James L. Thompson, from Chula Vista,
Calif. Shelby had six grandchildren, Lauren Thorp, Connor Thorp, and
Zachary Thorp, all from San Rafael, Calif., and Tosh Everett, Faith
Everett, and Dawson Everett, all residing in Carlsbad, Calif. Shelby's
ashes are with her family in Westlake Village.

In lieu of flowers the family asks that donations be made in her name to
The Gift of Life, 475 Northern Blvd, Suite 22, Great Neck, NY 11021. A
private memorial will be held in Westlake Village to celebrate Shelby's
life and memory on Saturday, July 2, 2011.

----

Here is her IMDb profile: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0335649/

Brad Ferguson

Jun 29, 2011, 10:39:19 PM6/29/11
In article <Xns9F13D1EB82A...@88.198.244.100>, Chuck
<trekke...@hotmail.com> wrote:

The obit dies not mention Chad's memorable appearance on Dick Cavett's
talk show on 31 March 1972, during which he referred to Shelby as his
"property," and likened her status to that of his horse and his dog.
The ensuing argument with another guest, Lily Tomlin, prompted Tomlin
to walk off the show.

Jim Beaver

Jul 2, 2011, 2:16:06 AM7/2/11
On Jun 29, 7:39 pm, Brad Ferguson <thirt...@frXOXed.net> wrote:
> [...]

> > Zachary Thorp, all from San Rafael, Calif., and Tosh Everett, Faith
> > Everett, and Dawson Everett, all residing in Carlsbad, Calif. Shelby's
> > ashes are with her family in Westlake Village.
>
> > In lieu of flowers the family asks that donations be made in her name to
> > The Gift of Life, 475 Northern Blvd, Suite 22, Great Neck, NY 11021. A
> > private memorial will be held in Westlake Village to celebrate Shelby's
> > life and memory on Saturday, July 2, 2011.
>
> > ----
>
> > Here is her IMDb profile:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0335649/
>
> The obit dies not mentionChad'smemorable appearance on Dick Cavett's

> talk show on 31 March 1972, during which he referred to Shelby as his
> "property," and likened her status to that of his horse and his dog.
> The ensuing argument with another guest, Lily Tomlin, prompted Tomlin

I worked with Chad a while back on "Supernatural," and he's a very
cool guy. His politics are way right of mine, and I can imagine him
having less than enlightened views on women, but he's also a sly and
funny provocateur, and I have little doubt that he said what he said
just to see Tomlin's head explode.

I'm very sorry for his loss. I know he was passionately devoted to
his wife. He spoke of her often and lovingly.

Jim Beaver