Kevin O’Neal Dies: ‘No Time For Sergeants’ Actor, Brother Of Ryan O’Neal Was 77

Michael Rhodes

Jan 31, 2023, 10:22:51 AM1/31/23
Kevin O’Neal, the younger brother of actor Ryan O’Neal who for a time built a steady, if less widely known, performing career of his own died in his sleep of natural causes in Thousand Oaks, California, on Saturday, Jan. 28. He was 77.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/kevin-o-neal-dies-no-time-for-sergeants-actor-brother-of-ryan-o-neal-was-77/ar-AA16WLEC

His death was announced by his nephew Patrick O’Neal, Ryan O’Neal’s son.

A Friend

Jan 31, 2023, 2:59:34 PM1/31/23
In article <bdd5352a-a0a0-47a3...@googlegroups.com>,
That's sad news for the three or four of us who still remember the
series. Catchy theme, as I recall, but I didn't think much of the
show, and I was about 10.

IIRC the lead was played by a fellow named Sammy Jackson, who'd played
Li'l Abner.

radioacti...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2023, 11:43:47 AM2/2/23
TCM just last week screened "What's Up, Doc?", that way-over-the-top Streisand/O'Neal flick that big bro Ryan graciously included late little bro Kevin in as a delivery guy--yeah, it WAS said to be a tribute to so-called "screwball" comedies, but the four-identical-sachels premise (and each ending up on the SAME floor of a San Francisco hotel) was WAY, WAY* over the top coincidence-wise--but affording the younger O'Neal a total of a single dialogue line (by my cursory count): "I just want my bike back!" [paraphrasing, not verbatim], he told the all-but-cartoon-character judge.

Uh, if you only get one line, shouldn't one--the actor himself, if not the screenwriter--make it semantically correct? That is, his referenced cycle was a delivery TRIcycle.

Though Buck Henry wasn't known for preposterous plotting, such an incredulous screenplay--plus overwrought acting by the senior O'Neal and way too many others--all but destroyed for me what was one of Streisand's best performances ever, a character that, as they used to say in Hollywood, fit her prodigious acting skills like a glove.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
* Now TWO would have been plausible, but FOUR was downright ruinous to the whole cinematic shebang.