Britain's oldest woman

Rudolf Schwarzkopf-Zskai

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
This might be one for Louis, if he hasn't already seen it.

In today's UK Times:

'Eva Pickles, 109, died the day after becoming Britain's oldest woman. Mrs
Pickles, of Fordingbridge, Hampshire, assumed the title on her birthday
after the death of Eva Morris, who was 114.'

--
rud...@ntlworld.com - Nottingham UK - www.lizardnet.freeserve.co.uk

Flingel Bunt

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Not anymore....

"Rudolf Schwarzkopf-Zskai" <ta...@face.value> wrote in message

Louis Epstein

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Rudolf Schwarzkopf-Zskai (ta...@face.value) wrote:
: This might be one for Louis, if he hasn't already seen it.

:
: In today's UK Times:
:
: 'Eva Pickles, 109, died the day after becoming Britain's oldest woman. Mrs
: Pickles, of Fordingbridge, Hampshire, assumed the title on her birthday
: after the death of Eva Morris, who was 114.'

I suppose this was in News In Brief?
I saw no headline for it.

I had been told of this in a slightly different version,day after learning
she was the oldest(day after becoming the oldest would mean the day after
the previous oldest died).It appeared on Ceefax,but apparently not
PA/Ananova or BBC News.Hard to believe she would neatly become the oldest
on her birthday,though it could happen.The new Britain's-oldest-man was
recognized as such by Guinness on his 108th birthday,but of course
*became* the oldest when Bill Lee died.

Frankly,it would surprise me if Eva Pickles,at only 109,was really
Britain's oldest.The UK has continuously had at least one person aged
110 or more since 1983...with two reaching 115 and two more 114.
And the "half-life" of supercentenarians(110+) is about a year and a
half.

Lady Taker

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Louisss said:
>Hard to believe she would neatly become the oldest
>on her birthday,though it could happen.

I just figured there were other 108 year-old contenders and the first on to
make it to 109 became the champ. (Therefore it would have to be on a
birthday.)

Volfie -> since Eva has failed to complete her duties they will now fall to
first runner-up

Louis Epstein

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Lady Taker (vol...@aol.comBV12) wrote:

: Louis said:
: >Hard to believe she would neatly become the oldest
: >on her birthday,though it could happen.
:
: I just figured there were other 108 year-old contenders and the first on to
: make it to 109 became the champ. (Therefore it would have to be on a
: birthday.)

Being 108 days 355 days old still leaves you older than someone 108 days
354 days old.

Joe Pucillo

Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00
In a previous article, Louis Epstein really said...

> Being 108 days 355 days old still leaves you older than someone 108 days
> 354 days old.

Yes, because one would be fifteen months old, and the other would be
a day older than that.

Still, way older than my son, who will be nine months next week!

JP

Louis Epstein

Dec 5, 2000, 10:07:05 PM12/5/00
Joe Pucillo (joep...@isourceit.com.xx) wrote:
: In a previous article, Louis Epstein really said...

(sigh) of course I meant 108 YEARS,etc...
anyway,if she really was Britain's oldest at barely 109,
she was the youngest oldest person they have had in decades.

Joe Pucillo

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In a previous article, Louis Epstein said...

> (sigh) of course I meant 108 YEARS,etc...

Oh, sure! You say that now, but there was no dimple on your post -
no other evidence whereby I could ascertain your *intent* rather
than what was presented...

Oops. Sorry.

Too much TV lately.

JP