Barbara Lady Colyton, widow of the 1st Lord Colyton, CMG, PC

Michael Rhodes

Jan 19, 2004, 7:31:15 PM1/19/04
Barbara, Lady Colyton, who died in New York, 15 January, 2004, was the
second wife and widow of the 1st Lord Colyton, PC, CMG (1902-96). She
was circa 85.

She was the former Barbara Estella Barb, a lawyer, daughter of Stephen
Barb, of New York. Her first marriage was to the _New Yorker_
cartoonist Charles Addams.

Her second marriage to the newly ennobled Lord Colyton took place
_secretly_ in London, in December, 1956, when she was 37.

Her husband, as Henry Hopkinson, was Conservative MP for Taunton,
1950-56, Minister of State for Colonial Affairs, 1952-55, remembered
as the man who said that Cyprus would _never gain independence_. In
fact, from the dispatch box in the Commons, Hopkinson, did not use
precisely those words. But the message he delivered in the course of a
debate in 1954 amounted to very much the same thing - and he went down
in Commons folklore as _Never_ Hopkinson.

Her husband died at Monte Carlo, 6 January, 1996, aged 94. The Daily
Telegraph had prematurely carried a lengthy obituary for him on the
previous 30 December, to be followed on 1 January, with an apology
that began _Lord Colyton is not dead as we reported on Dec 30_ he is
in fact in hospital in Monte Carlo_.

Lady Colyton was childless.

-- Michael Rhodes (Remove x to e-mail me)

Louis Epstein

Jan 19, 2004, 9:58:19 PM1/19/04
In alt.obituaries Michael Rhodes wrote:
: Barbara, Lady Colyton, who died in New York, 15 January, 2004, was the

: second wife and widow of the 1st Lord Colyton, PC, CMG (1902-96). She
: was circa 85.

: She was the former Barbara Estella Barb, a lawyer, daughter of Stephen
: Barb, of New York. Her first marriage was to the _New Yorker_
: cartoonist Charles Addams.

A real live member of the Addams Family?

: Her second marriage to the newly ennobled Lord Colyton took place

: _secretly_ in London, in December, 1956, when she was 37.

Well...only way to keep Cousin Itt and Uncle Fester away
I guess....

: Her husband, as Henry Hopkinson, was Conservative MP for Taunton,

: 1950-56, Minister of State for Colonial Affairs, 1952-55, remembered
: as the man who said that Cyprus would _never gain independence_. In
: fact, from the dispatch box in the Commons, Hopkinson, did not use
: precisely those words. But the message he delivered in the course of a
: debate in 1954 amounted to very much the same thing - and he went down
: in Commons folklore as _Never_ Hopkinson.

: Her husband died at Monte Carlo, 6 January, 1996, aged 94. The Daily
: Telegraph had prematurely carried a lengthy obituary for him on the
: previous 30 December, to be followed on 1 January, with an apology
: that began _Lord Colyton is not dead as we reported on Dec 30_ he is
: in fact in hospital in Monte Carlo_.

: Lady Colyton was childless.

-=-=-

Michael Rhodes

Jan 20, 2004, 5:54:18 AM1/20/04
Louis Epstein <lep...@PUF.FCC.NET> wrote in message news:<M_-dnZnDgrr...@fcc.net>...

> In alt.obituaries Michael Rhodes wrote:
> : Barbara, Lady Colyton, who died in New York, 15 January, 2004, was the
> : second wife and widow of the 1st Lord Colyton, PC, CMG (1902-96). She
> : was circa 85.
>
> : She was the former Barbara Estella Barb, a lawyer, daughter of Stephen
> : Barb, of New York. Her first marriage was to the _New Yorker_
> : cartoonist Charles Addams.
>
> A real live member of the Addams Family?

Have you seen the two Addams Family movies (_Addams Family_ & _Addams
Family Values_)? In a prominent place in the credits of each, special
thanks are given to "the assistance of THE LADY COLYTON."

--

Michael Rhodes
(Please delete x to e-mail me)