Donald Kellogg , raised initially with chimp "sister", suicide at 43 (in 1973)

radioacti...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2024, 9:42:56 PMJan 14
Surprised I had never heard of this disturbing case study.

The sad saga makes you wonder why that Connecticut lady who was raising chimp Travis kinda sorta like a human--before responding authorities shot Travis to death in February 2009 after the beast went ape mauling, blinding and disfiguring her visiting lady friend--didn't realize how tragically her own experiment might end up. (I presume she--or anyone else setting out on such a fool's errand--was familiar with the parents'/researchers' 1933 book "The Ape and the Child").

It would be interesting to learn the details behind Kellogg's suicide at age 43; it's entirely possible, of course, that he was tormented by matters completely unrelated to what so weirdly happened in his early childhood four decades prior.

Meanwhile, the pretend-journalist who sloppily wrote this piece never bothered to tell the reader whether this was somewhere stateside, or over in the U.K. [my hunch, given it's from the British Daily Star], or somewhere else on the planet.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
===================
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/baby-raised-chimp-sister-sick-31838669

Big Mongo

Jan 15, 2024, 12:39:58 AMJan 15
On Sunday, January 14, 2024 at 9:42:56 PM UTC-5, radioacti...@gmail.com wrote:
> Surprised I had never heard of this disturbing case study.

I used to have a group of undergrad students who I worked with and of course them being undergrads
money was always tight so I bought them all lunch occasionally. I enjoyed the camaraderie and the
fellowship and the chance to interact with young minds. One day the discussion turned to what was the
cheapest source of subsistence a human being could conceivably live on while still maintain a reasonable level
of health. Most ventured white rice, ramen noddles or mac and cheese, but one of the more forward thinking students
ventured forth with the phrase: "Purina Monkey Chow" and he informed us that he could live on monkey chow
quite happily as it contained all the vitamins and minerals a growing primate needs without any of the
preprocessed crap. Wagers were placed and after about 2 weeks the student was admitted to the hospital
for several days for being monstrously constipated.

A 25lb bag of monkey chow was approximately $13 in 1996 and the average college student needed to eat
about 4 or 5 pounds daily to maintain their current level of health so in the end it wasn't all that cost effective
as it worked out to about $3.25 per day...

Louis Epstein

Feb 19, 2024, 2:41:29 PMFeb 19
(Can not quote Mr. Mongo because of charset issue)

As regards the white rice proposal as cheapest foodstuff,
I expect that brown rice (more nutritious as well) would
have a lower cost of production thanks to the omission
of processing steps (as with whole wheat flour or raw cane
sugar) but has a higher retail price because of market
conditions that would not exist in a bare-subsistence-level
society.

As regards Mr. Kellogg,I note that I've been eating some
supermarket-house-brand corn flakes from a lower-priced,
larger-capacity package than one of his namesake corn flakes.

Were these students concerned with contemporary market
conditions or theoretical survival necessities?

-=-=-