Damon Lanza, 55 (Son of Mario)

Bob

Aug 24, 2008, 6:52:53 AM8/24/08
Son of Mario Lanza

From: "Life in Legacy"

Damon Lanza 55) last surviving son of legendary operatic tenor and Hollywood
movie star Mario Lanza (d. 1959). Damon Lanza had lived with his parents in
Italy but returned to his native Los Angeles and was left orphaned along
with three other siblings when his mother, Betty Hicks Lanza, committed
suicide just five months after their father's death. His younger brother,
Marc Lanza, died of a heart attack in 1991, and their elder sister, Colleen
Lanza Davis, was killed in an automobile accident in '97. Damon Lanza died
in Los Angeles, California on August 19, 2008.

Jellore

Aug 24, 2008, 7:11:36 AM8/24/08

What a tragic family !

La N

Aug 24, 2008, 11:49:23 AM8/24/08

"Jellore" <jel...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

*****************

I have much of Mario Lanza's music which compelled me once to borrow from
the library the book "Mario Lanza, An American Tragedy". I couldn't finish
it. At that time I didn't want to read anything so depressing.

- nilita

Jimmy Mac

Aug 24, 2008, 11:50:37 AM8/24/08

"Bob" <b3...@localnet.com> wrote in message
Cause of death may have been a heart attack.

Here's what Wikipedia has on this:

"Lanza's widow, Betty, moved back to Hollywood with their four children but
died five months later at the age of 37. Biographer Armando Cesari writes
that the apparent cause of death, according to the coroner, was
"asphyxiation resulting from a respiratory ailment for which she had been
receiving medication." In 1991 Marc, the younger of their two sons, died of
a heart attack at the age of 37; six years later, Colleen, their eldest
daughter, was killed at the age of 48 when she was struck by two passing
vehicles on a highway. Damon Lanza, the couple's eldest son, died in August
2008 at the age of 55."

Mario was one hell of a singer. Truly Wonderful.
To sample go to: http://tinyurl.com/55u83r

J.D. Baldwin

Aug 24, 2008, 12:00:07 PM8/24/08

They were all dead by the end of the last act.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Larc

Aug 24, 2008, 1:08:23 PM8/24/08

Maria Callas (a woman who had cause for many regrets) once said one of the
biggest regrets of her life was that she never sang with Lanza. She described
him as one of the greatest tenors of the 20th Century.

Others have said he was surpassed — if at all — only by Enrico Caruso.

Not bad for a truck driver who was mostly self trained vocally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEYUZ8EdFes

Larc

Jellore

Aug 25, 2008, 6:44:23 AM8/25/08
On Aug 25, 1:49 am, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Jellore" <jell...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

My old grandfather, actually I guess at the time he was younger than I
am now, used to enjoy singing Lanza has he preened himself in front of
the mirror back in the 1960's. I grew up listening to Lanza. As for
the depressing nature of the family's luck, it just seems to go on and
on.

La N

Aug 25, 2008, 10:49:58 AM8/25/08

On Aug 25, 1:49 am, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Jellore" <jell...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>

> I have much of Mario Lanza's music which compelled me once to borrow from
> the library the book "Mario Lanza, An American Tragedy". I couldn't finish
> it. At that time I didn't want to read anything so depressing.
>
> - nilita

My old grandfather, actually I guess at the time he was younger than I
am now, used to enjoy singing Lanza has he preened himself in front of
the mirror back in the 1960's. I grew up listening to Lanza. As for
the depressing nature of the family's luck, it just seems to go on and
on.

**********************************

Relentlessly sad, much in the same vein as the Chet Baker bio I read a few
months back .....

- nilita

1111s...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2013, 5:02:08 PM7/29/13
I went to search for Damon to see how he is doing? I was surprised to see he is gone?. I am Annie his early life girlfriend. From 1970 to 1975? I knew them all and I lived at the house on Toyopa drive. I knew Uncle Terry. I also remember Bob from the Sunday "fan dinners." What FOOD! I was forced to do help with the dishes! I have some pictures of Damon from the 1970's that someone might want a copy of? I Am so surprised to see that everyone is gone except Alissa. I did not know her well but we had a small conversation once in the kitchen. I know the hurt of this family. I will always love them all, but especially Damon. I wanted to see him one more time. It will be on the other side. Thank you Lanza!s for all the fun!

I have many wonderful memories!

Annie Holtzman Henry
1111s...@gmail.com

laine...@yahoo.com

Oct 11, 2017, 8:39:29 PM10/11/17
Wonderful to read how close you were with the family of a wonderful man wonderful memories thank you for sharing xxxxxxx

hopet...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2018, 1:40:20 AM8/11/18
He was a amazing person...my grandfather had me hooked at 4 years old I'm now 38 and my grandfather past away 2 years ago! He cried every time he would hear mario lanza! I have watched every movie with him and cried every time! Mario lanza has become a huge part of my life!

rosali...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2018, 9:31:22 AM8/15/18
Iam deeply touched by all of the comments and info left by everyone! Like so many, I have always been a great fan of Mario's. I am now 68 years old and from early on I fell in love with his beautiful voice and he himself when I saw him in morning is In my opinion, Mario was severely underrated by some and under evaluated and appreciated. I agree, after listening to early recordings of Enrico Caruso, they both have the same rich quality that have range and depth that most tenors lack.They sound remarkably alike and yet the lived decades apart...AMAZING!!! And they both lived short lives and to think what they BOTH could have achieved had the lived out their prospective lives. As for Mrs. Lanza (Betty) I can appreciate how deeply in love she and Mario appeared to be....However, committing suicide over her lost and rendering their children orphans was unforgivable,since they were supposed to be the product of their love. Look at all the devastation it caused?? The outcome of their lives had she loved them enoughwould had turned out entirely different (much better had she got the help she desperately needed!) The whole situation was BEYOND SAD!!

cathyc...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2018, 11:44:03 PM8/25/18
Suicide is the murder of self. She must have been in so much pain, she saw the end of life as her solution. She may have felt she could not go on without her husband. He died, so she wanted to die.I believe the children suffered from the trauma of losing their parents at the same time at such a young age. Three out of the 4 children are now gone.

rosali...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2019, 7:38:09 AM9/18/19
I'm a "baby boomer" and I grew up on Mario Lanza movies (had a crush on him!) I have known about the tradjedies suffered by the Lanza family for decades. I understand how deeply Betty and Mario loved each other, but I don't think Mario would have approved of his wife committing suicide and leaving their four small children orphans. That is selfish in my opinion! Mario should have taken better care of himself also, he probably would have lived longer. Why he was coming into his prime, for gosh sakes AND WHAT A VOICE! I will never forget him, but you notice, I'm still here! Also, although the Lanza Family were cursed by dying much too young, I am still amazed that they all survived the traumas of their childhoods after what was done to them. Thank God, at least, The Lanzas had made a will and Mario's physical trainer (George?) took each of them under his wings and raised them all and loved on them. God Bless The Man!!

Rich Neu

Sep 30, 2022, 2:47:38 PMSep 30
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 12:40:20 AM UTC-5, hopet...@gmail.com wrote:
> He was a amazing person...my grandfather had me hooked at 4 years old I'm now 38 and my grandfather past away 2 years ago! He cried every time he would hear mario lanza! I have watched every movie with him and cried every time! Mario lanza has become a huge part of my life!
I wish he was alive today