David S. Gottesman 1926-2022

Louis Epstein

Oct 3, 2022, 4:53:33 AM10/3/22
David S. Gottesman,born April 26th 1926,died September 28th 2022
according to the Jewish Telegraph Agency and others.
(born five days after Queen Elizabeth II,died 20 days after).

His death means the board of Berkshire Hathaway has lost 3 of
its 5 nonagenarians (I have previously noted the deaths of
Walter Scott and Thomas S. Murphy [who had resigned shortly
before his death] on this group)...only chairman Warren
Buffet and vice chairman Charles Munger remain.
New directors in the past year include Buffet's 68-year-old
daughter.

His First Manhattan Company owned about $7000000000 worth of
stock in Berkshire Hathaway,after recent price declines.

His philanthropies include vice-chairmanship of the American
Museum of Natural History,where the Gottesman Hall of Planet
Earth is named for him and his wife of 72 years,and the
Albert Einstein College of Medicine,where he endowed an
institute for stem cell research.

-=-=-

A Friend

Oct 3, 2022, 6:42:43 AM10/3/22
In article <the7ua$cht$1...@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<l...@top.put.com> wrote:

> His First Manhattan Company owned about $7,000,000,000 worth of
> stock in Berkshire Hathaway,after recent price declines.

FTFY

danny burstein

Oct 3, 2022, 8:52:37 AM10/3/22
...about $7.000.000.000 worth ...

There, fixed that for our European readers.

dan...@panix.com

Louis Epstein

Oct 17, 2022, 10:48:40 PM10/17/22
Louis Epstein <l...@top.put.com> wrote:
> David S. Gottesman,born April 26th 1926,died September 28th 2022
> according to the Jewish Telegraph Agency and others.
> (born five days after Queen Elizabeth II,died 20 days after).
>
> His death means the board of Berkshire Hathaway has lost 3 of
> its 5 nonagenarians (I have previously noted the deaths of
> Walter Scott and Thomas S. Murphy [who had resigned shortly
> before his death] on this group)...only chairman Warren
> Buffet and vice chairman Charles Munger remain.
> New directors in the past year include Buffet's 68-year-old
> daughter.
>
> His First Manhattan Company owned about $7000000000 worth of
> stock in Berkshire Hathaway,after recent price declines.

I picked up this year's Forbes Four Hundred today...
Gottesman was listed as living (their cutoff was September 2),
Scott among the year's deceased.Buffet is high on the list while
Munger is in the ten-digit club but too poor for the list.