OT: "Quiz: What’s the Best Way to Shrink Your Carbon Footprint?"

Lenona

Feb 7, 2023, 12:40:44 PM2/7/23
From December, in the New York Times.

https://archive.is/1xu3n

(Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")

There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for little relatives.

What was interesting was that while the author mentioned, BEFORE the quiz, how other online lists of recommendations might include not having children, that wasn't included in the quiz.

(My guess is that while he certainly wanted to make everyone aware of that choice, neither he or anyone else wants to promote it too loudly for fear of backlash - especially from those poor young people for whom parenthood is the only accomplishment in their lives. But then, why not phrase it as "have fewer children," when so many kids are still unplanned anyway?)

Aside from that, at the end, you DO get to see the actions that are most recommended. Though I would think that another highly important action would be "search for non-plastic packaging when buying goods." The first rule, after all, has always been "reduce," not "recycle."

Lenona

Feb 10, 2023, 2:13:31 PM2/10/23
From Ross Presser, elsewhere:

For what it's worth, here are the questions, the correct answer, and the share of Americans who got it right.

Buying fewer things Small 50%
Lowering the room temperature Small 48%
Installing heat pumps Moderate 39%
Using energy-efficient appliances Small 35%
Car-pooling Small 34%
Recycling Small 33%
Eating a vegetarian diet Moderate 26%
Living car-free Large 24%