Kit Carson granddaughter dies in Wisconsin at age 84

wazzzy

Jul 7, 2006, 10:13:39 AM7/7/06
http://www.chieftain.com/metro/1152280830/15

LA JUNTA - The youngest granddaughter of the famous American
frontiersman Kit Carson died Monday.

Anna (Carson) Lange, 84, a former La Junta resident who moved to
Kenosha, Wis., died at Brookside Care Center in Kenosha surrounded by
family members.

Her son, Rev. Will Lange of Detroit, said Thursday that his mother was
proud of her heritage and her famous grandfather.

"She was very interested in the history of the family, especially in
recent years," he said. "Our family has had a lot of contact with the
Kit Carson historians in Taos, N.M."

Anna Lange's sister, Stella Harrington, 89, of La Junta, is the last of
Kit Carson's grandchildren.

"Who would have thought that the granddaughters of Kit Carson would be
living in the 21st century," Lange said Thursday.

During his career throughout the Southwest, Kit Carson was a trapper,
guide, military scout, Indian agent, soldier and rancher. He initially
came west as a guide for John C. Fremont on an expedition to map the
western trails to the Pacific Ocean. Descriptions in Fremont's popular
report of his expeditions made Kit Carson famous.

When his trapping days were over, Kit Carson settled in Taos.

Kit Carson died at 59 in Fort Lyon in May 1868. He is buried in Taos
alongside his third wife, Josefa.

The legend of Kit Carson has continued to grow through the years as
dime-novels, comic books, movies and television recounted the
frontiersman's many exciting adventures. A hotel here and a Colorado
county are named after him.

Lange said Kit Carson was 52 when Anna's father, Charles Carson, was
born. Charles was 60 when Anna was born.

"That's how it's all possible, they had children in their later years,"
Lange said.

Anna was born on April 3, 1922, in La Junta and was the daughter of the
late Charles and Mary Alice Carson. She attended grade school in La
Junta and graduated from La Junta High School.

During World War II, she worked for the Treasury Department in
Washington, D.C., and Chicago.

On June 6, 1944, she married Willie E. Lange in La Junta. He preceded
her in death on Oct. 15, 1992. The couple moved to Kenosha in 1945
where she was employed for 13 years as a clerical secretary.

She is survived by Lange, her only son; one daughter, Nancy Roeder of
Kenosha; four grandchildren, Lisa, Kyle, Bret, and Mark Roeder; and one
sister, Stella Harrington of La Junta. Mrs. Lange was preceded in death
by her parents, her husband; three brothers: Kit E. Carson, William L.
Carson, Jess Carson; and her son-in-law, Kenneth Roeder.

A memorial service will be held today at noon at First Congregational
Church in Kenosha.

Her son will officiate the service.

David Carson

Jul 9, 2006, 11:23:08 PM7/9/06
>Anna Lange's sister, Stella Harrington, 89, of La Junta, is the last of
>Kit Carson's grandchildren.
>
>"Who would have thought that the granddaughters of Kit Carson would be
>living in the 21st century," Lange said Thursday.

My grandfather was born only a few years before these women. His great x 4
grandfather was Christopher "Kit" Carson's brother. So yes, it does seem
unlikely that someone four generations up the family tree from him would
still be alive!

David Carson
--
Why do you seek the living among the dead? -- Luke 24:5
Who's Alive and Who's Dead

trcych...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2019, 11:08:59 AM2/13/19
My mother is an granddaughter of Kit Carson through her mother Barbara Carson Wallet. I was named after Tracy (Peveto) Carson. Glad to meet you.

sendi...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2020, 11:02:46 AM3/3/20
My grandfather is Rudy Lange, William's brother, makeing her his sister in law. I also know the Roeder name from my Grandma Catherine (Rudy's wife).
My dad is Charles Lange one of 3 of their kids, and I'm on of the 3 kids of Charles. Hello Fam, Kevin Lange sendi...@gmail.com

sendi...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2020, 11:44:53 AM3/3/20
On Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 10:02:46 AM UTC-6, sendi...@gmail.com wrote:
> My grandfather is Rudy Lange, William's brother, makeing her his sister in law. I also know the Roeder name from my Grandma Catherine (Rudy's wife).
> My dad is Charles Lange one of 3 of their kids, and I'm on of the 3 kids of Charles. Hello Fam, Kevin Lange sendi...@gmail.com

I also just learned that when my mom and dad divorced in 1991 Ann (Carson) Lange wrote my mother to tell her that she'll always love her, she always thought that was so sweet and says she was always the nicest lady.

Hannah Rife

May 31, 2022, 11:29:24 AM5/31/22