Robert "Mudman" Simon

John Lupton

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
I don't think I've seen it pop up here yesterday or today, so I'll mention it:

Convicted murderer Robert "Mudman" Simon was murdered - beaten to death -
Tuesday morning by fellow Death Row inmate Ambrose Harris while both were in a
small exercise yard at their New Jersey prison while routine extermination
work was being done. The incident is under investigation, but prison officials
claim not to know what precipitated the fight (witnessed by two guards), or
whether or not their was any prior bad blood between Simon (who is - er, was -
white) and Harris (who is black).

Simon, a longtime member of the infamous Pagans motorcycle gang in the
Philadelphia area, was awaiting execution for the murder of New Jersey state
policeman Lee Ippolito about 4 years ago, while on parole from Pennsylvania.
The case made national headlines when it was revealed that a) Simon, a
notoriously violent figure, was granted parole at all, b) that Pennsylvania
had made it a condition that he move to New Jersey and not associate with his
fellow Pagans (but were not aware that there was a Pagan presence in South
Jersey), and c) New Jersey authorities were totally unaware of any of this.
Something like three weeks after his parole, Simon and another Pagan, Charles
"Shovel" Staples were pulled over by Ippolito on a routine traffic stop, and
Ippolito was shot at close range. At trial, Simon pled guilty and received the
death sentence, but later recanted and said he had only pled guilty to
exonerate Staples of the murder.

Harris is awaiting execution for the 1996 murder of a young woman in New
Jersey. He is generally portrayed in news accounts as mentally ill, borderline
retarded, extremely violent and more than a little psychotic. The fight
between him and Simon is being described as a brutal death match between two
of the biggest and baddest dudes in the prison. Simon lost, Harris apparently
beat him to death with his bare hands.

John Lupton, Network Services Manager
School of Arts & Sciences Computing
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia PA
jlu...@sas.upenn.edu

Dave Kalis

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
John Lupton wrote:

> I don't think I've seen it pop up here yesterday or today, so I'll mention it:
>
> Convicted murderer Robert "Mudman" Simon was murdered - beaten to death -
> Tuesday morning by fellow Death Row inmate Ambrose Harris while both were in a
> small exercise yard at their New Jersey prison while routine extermination
> work was being done.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Maybe we should introduce Ambrose to all of the
other prisoners on death row.

"Mr Harris, this is Joe Smith. He's on death row. He called your mother a bad
word."

The state could save a lot of money on executions this way...

Barry Shein

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

>Harris is awaiting execution for the 1996 murder of a young woman in New
>Jersey. He is generally portrayed in news accounts as mentally ill, borderline
>retarded, extremely violent and more than a little psychotic. The fight
>between him and Simon is being described as a brutal death match between two
>of the biggest and baddest dudes in the prison. Simon lost, Harris apparently
>beat him to death with his bare hands.

But we'll show HIM we don't take no crap from mentally ill, retarded,
violent, psychotics!

We'll just keep putting him out into the general population (prison,
whatever) and if he misbehaves why we'll execute him maybe two, three,
or even a DOZEN times! He'll get the idea, even if he is a little
slow, and so will everyone else that you don't dare be a psychotic
retard or you'll have to answer to the hangman!

Reading this makes me wonder which side of the fence is more nuts,
Harris or the people who think the height of our justice system is to
treat mentally ill, retarded psychotics like they're normal human
beings.

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die | b...@world.std.com | http://www.world.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202 | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World | Public Access Internet | Since 1989 *oo*

Terrymelin

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
Thank you, Mr. Harris, for saving the taxpayers some money by ridding the world
of this person. May others follow your shining example.

Terry Ellsworth

Barry Shein

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99

>Thank you, Mr. Harris, for saving the taxpayers some money by ridding the world
>of this person. May others follow your shining example.

Hey, what the heck, the rest of our justice system is run by mentally
retarded psychotics so I can understand your cheering one more being
added to the fray...

Brad Ferguson

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
In article <7r8qup$hap$1...@netnews.upenn.edu>, John Lupton
<th...@space.for.rent> wrote:

> Convicted murderer Robert "Mudman" Simon was murdered - beaten to
> death - Tuesday morning by fellow Death Row inmate Ambrose Harris
> while both were in a small exercise yard at their New Jersey prison
> while routine extermination work was being done.

I'll say.

Brad Ferguson

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
In article <x5d7vr3...@world.std.com>, Barry Shein
<b...@world.std.com> wrote:

> Reading this makes me wonder which side of the fence is more nuts,
> Harris or the people who think the height of our justice system is to
> treat mentally ill, retarded psychotics like they're normal human
> beings.

Or, just maybe, the Pennsylvanians who paroled this piece of shit in
the first place?

Barry Shein

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99

>> Reading this makes me wonder which side of the fence is more nuts,
>> Harris or the people who think the height of our justice system is to
>> treat mentally ill, retarded psychotics like they're normal human
>> beings.
>
>Or, just maybe, the Pennsylvanians who paroled this piece of shit in
>the first place?

I think that'd qualify under my comment.

John Lupton

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
In article <090919991808009773%thir...@frXOXed.net>, Brad Ferguson
<thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote:

Heh...I realized only after I sent the original post that I was leaving the
"extermination" open to interpretation <g>. Apparently, they (New Jersey State
Prison in Trenton) regularly bring in a local pest control outfit to spray the
cells for vermin (oops, I'm doing it again, aren't I??), and the inmates are
sent out into the exercise yards while it's being done. It's unusual, the
reports are, for death row inmates, especially violent ones like Harris and
Simon, to be allowed close proximity to each other at these times, and part of
the investigation will focus on how they came to be in the yard at the same
time. The fight took place in full view of at least three guards, who were
unarmed, and prevented by prison policy from endangering themselves by
intervening without weapons or backup. The Philly Inquirer reported yesterday
that the guards are undergoing counseling and therapy after watching what,
according to more details coming out, was an incredibly brutal attack. Not
only did Harris literally beat and stomp the life of of Simon, he gouged
Simon's eyes out for good measure.

Steve Miller - A Famous Rock Star!

Sep 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/10/99
It was reported in the NY papers that he was called "mudman" because his
initiation into his motorcycle gang involved eating human shit.

--
Steve Miller _|_ De Mortuis Non Nisi Bonum
Editor and Chief Copyboy | From the Dead There is Nothing But Profit

Brad Ferguson

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
In article <7rbr2b$1ge$1...@panix3.panix.com>, Steve Miller - A Famous
Rock Star! <scmi...@panix.com> wrote:

> It was reported in the NY papers that he was called "mudman" because his
> initiation into his motorcycle gang involved eating human shit.

Given that, I guess "Mudman" was the best nickname he could have hoped
for.

W989531

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
>It was reported in the NY papers that he was called "mudman" because his
>initiation into his motorcycle gang involved eating human shit.

Hence the term "eat shit and die". I wonder if it went straight to his
brains first??