Re: 30 years ago: 77 die in worst ferry disaster in U.S. history

teleflora

Oct 15, 2006, 1:23:15 PM10/15/06

"Louisiana Lou" <louisi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:yFsYg.64888$vX5....@bignews8.bellsouth.net...
> FERRY CRASH REVISITED
> 30 years ago, the River Parishes were stunned by the deaths of 77 people
> in the worst ferry disaster in U.S. history
> Sunday, October 15, 2006
> By Matt Scallan
> http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-17/116089251052770.xml&coll=1&thispage=1
>
> Thirty years ago this week, the ferryboat George Prince, packed with
> construction and chemical plant workers, pushed off from a Destrehan dock
> into the Mississippi River and blundered into the path of the Norwegian
> tanker ship Frosta.
>
> It was just after 6 a.m. on Oct. 20, 1976. Ferry pilot Egidio "Gene"
> Auletta, whose half-empty bottle of whiskey was later found in the pilot
> house, gunned the ferry's engines into the current. As the 120-foot ferry
> turned toward the Luling dock, Auletta seemed oblivious to frantic horn
> blasts and radio calls from the 665-foot-long tanker that towered over the
> ferry's port side.
>
> A few minutes later, when the ferry was only 800 feet from its
> destination, the Frosta ran over the George Prince like a bathtub toy,
> flipping it and spilling cars and people into the water. Of the 95 people
> who boarded the ferry on that clear, chilly morning, 77 died, including
> Auletta and the four members of his crew.
>
> Today, less than a mile from the site of the tragedy, the massive Hale
> Boggs Bridge straddles the river, enabling people to travel between the
> east and west banks of St. Charles Parish in moments. But there is nothing
> to mark the spot of the worst ferry disaster in U.S. history.
>
> "People seem to have forgotten about it," said Royd Anderson, a Hahnville
> High School teacher who wrote and produced a 22-minute documentary about
> the disaster.
>
> Anderson, 35, produced the film as the final project for his master's
> degree in communication at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
>
> He started teaching television production at Hahnville High this year.
>
> "When I started working on this two years ago, I had no idea I'd be
> working in St. Charles Parish," he said.
>
> Monument controversy
>
> The only monument to the victims sits 15 miles away near the St. John the
> Baptist Parish Courthouse in Edgard. It was placed there in 1979 after St.
> Charles Parish officials refused an offer to place it on the grounds of
> their courthouse in Hahnville.
>
> Anderson and some of the victims' families said a memorial in St. Charles
> Parish is long overdue.
>
> One idea is to place it at the public playground built under the bridge,
> whose foundations were rising out of the river when the accident occurred.
>
> "There should be a memorial here and it should be on the east bank," said
> Thomas Pritchett, whose brother, Kevin, died in the accident at 16. Kevin,
> who lived a few blocks away from the landing, had lied about his age to
> [...]

Fascinating!

I have to admit, I am totally perplexed at the St Charles Parish officials
attitude. How, exactly, is acknowledgment of a disaster in any way
"political"? Because isn't that all a memorial is? Acknowledging that
something happened and people died?

Perhaps the Auletta or Columbo families don't want to be reminded of such
painful memories.

I just can't see why they would object to a public memorial.

Cindy

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted