Woman dies after ants eat her eye

Kent

Nov 15, 2005, 10:55:15 AM11/15/05
Woman Dies After Ants Eat Her Eye

From correspondents in New Delhi

November 16, 2005

A WOMAN has died in a Calcutta hospital after ants ate one of her eyes as
she was recovering from a cornea operation, media reports said.

Gauri Chakraborty, 55, had complained of terrible pain after the operation
at a state-run hospital, but a nurse told her it was normal and left her
unattended, her son Soumen said.

He said that when her bandage was removed the next day they found big black
ants nibbling at her eye, PTI reported.

"She died a ghastly death. We don't even know the reason of her death,"
Amitabha Kar, Chakraborty's son-in-law said.

Local Health Minister Surjya Kanta Mishra demanded a report of the incident
from the hospital authorities.

In response, hospital superintendent Sukumar Das said a five-member inquiry
committee had been set up.

The woman's family found a gaping hole and ants swarming in it when they
lifted her bandages.

Scampering rats and stray cats and dogs sharing bed space with patients are
not uncommon sights at India's overcrowded state-run hospitals that are used
by millions of poor and middle-class people.

MWB

Nov 15, 2005, 11:12:48 AM11/15/05
They must have been in her blind spot.

Mark

deb...@comcast.net

Nov 15, 2005, 1:08:14 PM11/15/05
This takes the cake as grossest headline here.

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 15, 2005, 1:49:51 PM11/15/05

In the previous article, <deb...@comcast.net> wrote:
> This takes the cake as grossest headline here.

Getting your eye eaten shouldn't kill you. I expect the ants burrowed
through straight into her brain. That'll do it.

Just in case you weren't grossed out enough.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Bill Schenley

Nov 15, 2005, 2:17:39 PM11/15/05
> > This takes the cake as grossest headline here.

> Getting your eye eaten shouldn't kill you. I expect
> the ants burrowed through straight into her brain.
> That'll do it.

... And they were all Queen ants ...

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 15, 2005, 2:44:44 PM11/15/05

In the previous article, Bill Schenley <stra...@ma.rr.com> wrote:
> ... And they were all Queen ants ...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Arlo Birch

Nov 15, 2005, 4:29:31 PM11/15/05
One would think the authorities would keep an eye out for such things.

In article <w4ednR0fntR...@comcast.com>, Kent

R H Draney

Nov 15, 2005, 4:59:40 PM11/15/05
deb...@comcast.net filted:

>This takes the cake as grossest headline here.

Some, of course, will take that observation as a challenge....r

Message has been deleted

Mary

Nov 15, 2005, 6:15:15 PM11/15/05

"Arlo Birch" <abi...@larch.com> wrote in message

> One would think the authorities would keep an eye out for such things.

A "blind spot" stopped them.

Joe Thomas

Nov 15, 2005, 7:39:34 PM11/15/05
Ants. Not earwigs.