John Schmitz, father of Mary Kay LeTourneau

Mary Campbell

Jan 11, 2001, 4:30:38 PM1/11/01
Just announced at www.salon.com:

"Jan. 11, 2001 | COSTA MESA, Calif. -- John G. Schmitz, the
ultraconservative politician whose fiery rhetoric defined right-wing
Southern California Republicanism for nearly two decades, has died at age
70.
Schmitz's legislative career ended in scandal, and years later his
daughter, schoolteacher Mary Kay LeTourneau, gained her own notoriety and
went to prison for having sex with an underage pupil, conceiving two
children with him. "

More at http://www.salon.com/people/wire/2001/01/11/schmitz_obit/index.html.

Terrymelin

Jan 11, 2001, 5:43:03 PM1/11/01
>chmitz's legislative career ended in scandal, and years later his
>daughter, schoolteacher Mary Kay LeTourneau, gained her own notoriety and
>went to prison for having sex with an underage pupil, conceiving two
>children with him. "

Is LeTourneau the scum, who after being convicted had sex with the kid in her
car and got pregnant all over again?

Terry Ellsworth

Mary Campbell

Jan 11, 2001, 6:02:59 PM1/11/01

Letourneau did indeed give birth to two children by the same father,
a teenage boy. from Infoplease:

"Mary Kay Letourneau, 36-year-old Tacoma, Wash., schoolteacher, was ordered
to serve her suspended 71/2 year child-rape sentence after being found with
the 14-year-old student with whom she had a baby last year. In October[1998]
LeTourneau gave birth to a second baby fathered by the same boy. No new
charges were brought against her."

No mention of a car, though.

Louis Epstein

Jan 11, 2001, 6:43:10 PM1/11/01
Terrymelin (terry...@aol.com) wrote:
: >chmitz's legislative career ended in scandal, and years later his

That's her,and her reaction according to a friend was "she's very excited
about the baby".

Her father moved her from school to school to make sure she never got
sex education.

J.D. Baldwin

Jan 11, 2001, 7:35:48 PM1/11/01

In the previous article, Mary Campbell <cc...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
wrote:

> "Mary Kay Letourneau, 36-year-old Tacoma, Wash., schoolteacher, was
> ordered to serve her suspended 71/2 year child-rape sentence after
> being found with the 14-year-old student with whom she had a baby
> last year. In October[1998] LeTourneau gave birth to a second baby
> fathered by the same boy. No new charges were brought against her."
>
> No mention of a car, though.

The second time she was arrested, it was because a (Seattle PD?) cop
investigated a parked car that had the windows all steamed up. It
turned out to be Letourneau with her boyfriend.

Someone out there has some kind of advocacy web page for her, which is
kind of an entertaining read if you can find it.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Barry Shein

Jan 11, 2001, 8:25:19 PM1/11/01

>Someone out there has some kind of advocacy web page for her, which is
>kind of an entertaining read if you can find it.

Found it, www.maryonline.com, audio clips of her describing her
"lover's" cartoon drawings and some other weird stuff. Barely
worthwhile except for the morbidly curious.

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die | b...@TheWorld.com | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202 | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World | Public Access Internet | Since 1989 *oo*

Terrymelin

Jan 11, 2001, 8:52:55 PM1/11/01
>Her father moved her from school to school to make sure she never got
>sex education.

Do you seriously think sex ed would've helped this scumbag? Sounded like a
lobotomy was more in order. If only she had been born a Kennedy.

Terry Ellsworth

Terrymelin

Jan 11, 2001, 8:51:51 PM1/11/01
>The second time she was arrested, it was because a (Seattle PD?) cop
>investigated a parked car that had the windows all steamed up. It
>turned out to be Letourneau with her boyfriend.

If I'm not mistaken didn't the "parents" of the young boy actually support the
pair because they were "in love?"

Terry Ellsworth

Louis Epstein

Jan 12, 2001, 12:06:26 AM1/12/01
Terrymelin (terry...@aol.com) wrote:
: >The second time she was arrested, it was because a (Seattle PD?) cop

Yes.And the book they wrote was "No Crime But Love".
But last I heard she was sending the father threats from prison
about if he ever took up with another woman....

Louis Epstein

Jan 12, 2001, 12:08:33 AM1/12/01
Terrymelin (terry...@aol.com) wrote:
: >Her father moved her from school to school to make sure she never got

Well,when she first married she was already pregnant by her husband.

She seems a terminally clueless person...said she never dreamed getting
pregnant by the kid would cost her custody of her children by her husband,
and when she was pregnant by the kid for a second time,she regarded it as
good news.

Education early on might have kept her from being like this...but who
can tell?

RChamp7927

Jan 12, 2001, 1:30:04 AM1/12/01
>From: terry...@aol.com (Terrymelin)

>If I'm not mistaken didn't the "parents" of the young boy actually support
>the
>pair because they were "in love?"

The family has been taking care of the two children, and in all likelihood, has
grown very attached to them. The family has every reason then to stay on Mary
Kay's good side. Once she is out of jail she will want those children back
with her. If that happens, the family will want access to the children, which
means that they will have to depend on Mary Kay's good will.

John Schmitz could not have been very happy with his daughter's choice of
lovers, since the boy-father is Fijian (sp?) and definitely not white.

Bob Champ

Louis Epstein

Jan 12, 2001, 1:49:48 AM1/12/01
RChamp7927 (rcham...@aol.com) wrote:
: >From: terry...@aol.com (Terrymelin)

:
: >If I'm not mistaken didn't the "parents" of the young boy actually support
: >the
: >pair because they were "in love?"
: >
:
: The family has been taking care of the two children, and in all likelihood,
: has grown very attached to them. The family has every reason then to stay
: on Mary Kay's good side. Once she is out of jail she will want those
: children back with her. If that happens, the family will want access to
: the children, which means that they will have to depend on Mary Kay's
: good will.

Still,the most recent thing I heard was that relations had gone sour.
And I would not bet on her getting custody when she gets out of jail...
how often does a parent with a sex abuse conviction get custody?

: John Schmitz could not have been very happy with his daughter's choice of

Brad Ferguson

Jan 12, 2001, 8:18:27 AM1/12/01
In article <ljw76.8974$Sl.4...@iad-read.news.verio.net>, Louis
Epstein <l...@put.com> wrote:

> Well,when she first married she was already pregnant by her husband.
>
> She seems a terminally clueless person...said she never dreamed getting
> pregnant by the kid would cost her custody of her children by her husband,
> and when she was pregnant by the kid for a second time,she regarded it as
> good news.
>
> Education early on might have kept her from being like this...but who
> can tell?

Given LeTourneau's subsequent history, I've spent enough time in
abnormal psych classes to wonder about the nature of the relationship
between Schmidt and his daughter. Nothing would surprise me.

R. Kane

Jan 12, 2001, 10:14:01 AM1/12/01
On 12 Jan 2001 01:52:55 GMT, terry...@aol.com (Terrymelin) wrote:

>>Her father moved her from school to school to make sure she never got
>>sex education.
>
>Do you seriously think sex ed would've helped this scumbag?

Wasn't she a schoolteacher? Not a nice thought to realize that
she was responsibe for educating other people's children.

Boron Elgar

Jan 12, 2001, 10:56:04 AM1/12/01
On 12 Jan 2001 06:30:04 GMT, rcham...@aol.com (RChamp7927) wrote:

>The family has been taking care of the two children, and in all likelihood, has
>grown very attached to them. The family has every reason then to stay on Mary
>Kay's good side. Once she is out of jail she will want those children back
>with her. If that happens, the family will want access to the children, which
>means that they will have to depend on Mary Kay's good will.

Um...you really think a court will give Tourneau custody when she is
released? I don't think so. She has never really raised the children,
she is a convicted felon, a sex-offender at that. I don't see any
reason why a court would allow her custody, unless it can be shown
that the grandparents have been doing a horrible job & the children
have been/are in danger with them.

She may get visitation, of course.

B.E.

Reid

Jan 12, 2001, 12:23:55 PM1/12/01
"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

> > Given LeTourneau's subsequent history, I've spent enough time in
> abnormal psych classes to wonder about the nature of the relationship
> between Schmidt and his daughter. Nothing would surprise me.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Reid
Texas

Laurie D. T. Mann

Jan 12, 2001, 1:33:14 PM1/12/01
> Reid wrote:
> > "Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message
> > Given LeTourneau's subsequent history, I've spent enough time in
> > abnormal psych classes to wonder about the nature of the relationship
> > between Schmidt and his daughter. Nothing would surprise me.
> I was thinking the exact same thing!

Me too. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but:

http://people.goplay.com/just_tellin_it_like_it_is/page2.html

well, it was pretty interesting anyway.

--
Laurie D. T. Mann *** *** *** *** *** *** lauri...@dpsinfo.com
Dead People Server *** http://www.dpsinfo.com/index.shtml

Brad Ferguson

Jan 12, 2001, 3:53:10 PM1/12/01
In article <3A5F4DEA...@dpsinfo.com>, Laurie D. T. Mann
<dps...@dpsinfo.com> wrote:

> > Reid wrote:
> > > "Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message
> > > Given LeTourneau's subsequent history, I've spent enough time in
> > > abnormal psych classes to wonder about the nature of the relationship
> > > between Schmidt and his daughter. Nothing would surprise me.
> > I was thinking the exact same thing!
>
> Me too. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but:
>
> http://people.goplay.com/just_tellin_it_like_it_is/page2.html
>
> well, it was pretty interesting anyway.

Yes, it was. Thanks for the link.

Reid

Jan 12, 2001, 5:38:57 PM1/12/01

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

I question the truthfulness of it, though. The conversations that they
claim were instigated by Vili just don't sound like anything a 13-year-old
would come up with. My daughter is that age, and can't envision any of her
friends coming up with that stuff with each other, much less be so bold
about talking to an adult that way. It's a little too much.

Reid
Texas

RChamp7927

Jan 12, 2001, 6:34:11 PM1/12/01
>From: l...@put.com (Louis Epstein)
>Date: 1/12/2001 1:49 AM Eastern Standard Time

>Still,the most recent thing I heard was that relations had gone sour.
>And I would not bet on her getting custody when she gets out of jail...
>how often does a parent with a sex abuse conviction get custody?

I don't know that MKL will get custody of the children, but I do think that the
boy's family may be hedging its bets--and wisely, too. There is a powerful
bias in favor of giving children to the natural mother in our courts.

If MKL and the boy get married after she gets out, do you think there will be a
move to take the children away from them?

I haven't heard about the recent relationship between the family and MKL.

Bob Champ

Louis Epstein

Jan 12, 2001, 9:15:56 PM1/12/01
RChamp7927 (rcham...@aol.com) wrote:
: >From: l...@put.com (Louis Epstein)

: >Date: 1/12/2001 1:49 AM Eastern Standard Time
:
: >Still,the most recent thing I heard was that relations had gone sour.
: >And I would not bet on her getting custody when she gets out of jail...
: >how often does a parent with a sex abuse conviction get custody?
:
: I don't know that MKL will get custody of the children, but I do think that
: the boy's family may be hedging its bets--and wisely, too. There is a
: powerful bias in favor of giving children to the natural mother in our
: courts.
:
: If MKL and the boy get married after she gets out, do you think there
: will be a move to take the children away from them?

I hope not...by that time he'd be a consenting adult.
There's a difference between punishing illicit behavior
and pursuing taboos beyond all bounds of reason.

Henry VII of England(from whom any European Royal of consequence
is descended) was born months before his mother turned 14(she
was unable to have further children).

In this case I think the two of them were both naive,
though the law only expects the adult to have known better.

Have they learned lessons now?

: I haven't heard about the recent relationship between the family and MKL.

I note that the advocacy sites downplay the reports of bad blood,
but that the father's family is now suing the school district for
not having protected him from her...the book he wrote may be evidence
against the suit to the extent it makes clear that he was doing as
he pleased,not being victimized.

: Bob Champ

Brad Ferguson

Jan 12, 2001, 10:28:09 PM1/12/01
In article <20010112183411...@ng-xa1.aol.com>, RChamp7927
<rcham...@aol.com> wrote:

There was a quote from the boy just a few weeks ago to the effect that
he's fed up with LeTourneau and wants nothing further to do with her.
Maybe he's sincere, or maybe she's got a parole hearing coming up.

MadCow57

Jan 13, 2001, 1:33:51 AM1/13/01
It was a whitewash.

Louis Epstein