[OT] Not famous my butt

The Avocado Avenger

Feb 15, 2002, 9:30:13 PM2/15/02
A nameless dead pool list has a rule about who is famous and who isn't.
Well, I won't get into that, because two names I submitted I knew were
probably going to get scratched off the list because they aren't famous,
but should be. I just kinda do things like this for the principal of the
matter. (No one here knows who Miyoshi Umeki is, do you? You should.
She's an Oscar-winning actress.)
Anyhow, two names I didn't even think of being Not Famous were Mother
Angelica, and Howard Morris. They're Not Famous.
Now, I'm not trying to change rules, but... whu?
Just wanted to rant a little, and figured I might get more support here
than anywhere else.

Stacia * The Avocado Avenger * Life is a tale told by an idiot;
http://world.std.com/~stacia/ * Full of sound and fury,
There is no guacamole anywhere. * Signifying nothing.

Jim Geary

Feb 15, 2002, 10:07:42 PM2/15/02
On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, The Avocado Avenger wrote:

> Just wanted to rant a little, and figured I might get more support here
> than anywhere else.

Damn, I keep looking for the binary attachment to this post.

Harry Krause

Feb 15, 2002, 10:17:04 PM2/15/02
The Avocado Avenger wrote:
> A nameless dead pool list has a rule about who is famous and who isn't.
> Well, I won't get into that, because two names I submitted I knew were
> probably going to get scratched off the list because they aren't famous,
> but should be. I just kinda do things like this for the principal of the
> matter. (No one here knows who Miyoshi Umeki is, do you? You should.
> She's an Oscar-winning actress.)

Sayonara

Julz

Feb 15, 2002, 11:07:32 PM2/15/02
> (No one here knows who Miyoshi Umeki is, do you? You should.
>She's an Oscar-winning actress.)
============================
Of course I do. In the late 60s she was also very well-known as Bill Bixby's
housekeeper Mrs. Livingston in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father."

Be Well,
~*~Julz ~*~
Regal Clown Princess of the Realm of W.H.I.N.E.
.-.__.-.
\/)* *(\/
(_0_)
/ \
(I I I I)
oo-oo

Tinman7828

Feb 15, 2002, 11:42:45 PM2/15/02
The Avacado Avenger wrote:

> A nameless dead pool list has a rule about who is famous and who isn't.
>Well, I won't get into that, because two names I submitted I knew were
>probably going to get scratched off the list because they aren't famous,
>but should be. I just kinda do things like this for the principal of the
>matter. (No one here knows who Miyoshi Umeki is, do you? You should.
>She's an Oscar-winning actress.)

I know who she is, I remember her well from Courtship of Eddie's Father. Is
she in poor health to make your list?

ED V

Brad Ferguson

Feb 16, 2002, 12:28:55 AM2/16/02
In article <GrLtM...@world.std.com>, The Avocado Avenger
<sta...@world.std.com> wrote:

> A nameless dead pool list has a rule about who is famous and who isn't.
> Well, I won't get into that, because two names I submitted I knew were
> probably going to get scratched off the list because they aren't famous,
> but should be. I just kinda do things like this for the principal of the
> matter. (No one here knows who Miyoshi Umeki is, do you? You should.
> She's an Oscar-winning actress.)
> Anyhow, two names I didn't even think of being Not Famous were Mother
> Angelica, and Howard Morris. They're Not Famous.
> Now, I'm not trying to change rules, but... whu?
> Just wanted to rant a little, and figured I might get more support here
> than anywhere else.

All three of the people you mention ought to be considered famous. Ms.
Rizzo (a/k/a Mother Angelica) is on TV every day, albeit in reruns.
Miyoshi Umeki was third billed in a well-remembered mid-century sitcom,
and of course there's that Oscar she won for "Sayonara." Howard Morris
was on the formative "Your Show of Shows" and has been working steadily
ever since. Any of their deaths would make the AP wire, which I
understand is the standard for at least one of the better pools.

What you describe makes it seem like the criterion for being famous is
whether the 15-yr-old running the pool has heard of you.

The Avocado Avenger

Feb 16, 2002, 6:09:00 AM2/16/02
tinma...@aol.com (Tinman7828) writes:
>The Avacado Avenger wrote:

Ack, how did that happen? I haven't gone by "avacado avenger" since
1995.

>>but should be. I just kinda do things like this for the principal of the
>>matter. (No one here knows who Miyoshi Umeki is, do you? You should.
>>She's an Oscar-winning actress.)

>I know who she is, I remember her well from Courtship of Eddie's Father. Is
>she in poor health to make your list?

Er, I heard an unsubstantiated rumor, which I guess isn't secret anymore
since she doesn't count as a Famous Person. But as I said, I included
her, and Mona Van Duyn (who I *know* you haven't heard of!) as a sort of
statement. Howard Morris and Mother Angelica were just normal list
submissions for me; in fact, I could have sworn both were discussed on
this group relatively recently.
Ah, well. I'm not trying to change this dead pool's rules, just letting
off steam.

Mpoconnor7

Feb 16, 2002, 9:39:58 AM2/16/02
>Howard Morris
>was on the formative "Your Show of Shows" and has been working steadily
>ever since.

Not to mention he also played a memorable recurring character (Ernest T. Bass)
on the "Andy Griffith Show", a show with a cult following that has been big in
reruns for the past 30 years.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
"The probability of one person being right increases in a direct porportion to
the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"

Hyfler/Rosner

Feb 16, 2002, 10:45:30 AM2/16/02

> Er, I heard an unsubstantiated rumor, which I guess isn't secret anymore
> since she doesn't count as a Famous Person. But as I said, I included
> her, and Mona Van Duyn (who I *know* you haven't heard of!)

Among people who know contemporary poetry, and I admit that's a small group,
she's pretty well-known.

A.

The Avocado Avenger

Feb 16, 2002, 11:39:03 AM2/16/02
mpoco...@aol.comnojunk (Mpoconnor7) writes:

>>Howard Morris
>>was on the formative "Your Show of Shows" and has been working steadily
>>ever since.

>Not to mention he also played a memorable recurring character (Ernest T. Bass)
>on the "Andy Griffith Show", a show with a cult following that has been big in
>reruns for the past 30 years.

Well, he's also featured in a few Mel Brooks movies, most notably as Dr
Lillolman. He's the voice of Gerald McBoing Boing and of Wade the duck on
"Garfield". He did a memorable guest spot on "The Dick Van Dyke" show as
an antiques dealer, and uttered one of the best lines of the show: "This
is a wonderful... thing! It's too bad you schmutzed it up." And he was
Mr Kelp in "The Nutty Professor", for crying out loud.
The IMDb lists 80 actor credits, 16 director credits, and 33 guest
appearances (although many acting appearances are voice only.) I didn't
want to mention any of this first because I didn't want to appear to be
swaying any committees or anything, but so far lots of people seem to know
who Howard Morris is.
Mother Angelica is another one who I think is famous, but maybe she's
more of a cult thing. And maybe our parents know who Miyoshi Umeki is but
our generation doesn't? I dunno.

brigidnelson

Feb 16, 2002, 11:48:26 AM2/16/02
The Avocado Avenger wrote:
> Mother Angelica is another one who I think is famous, but maybe she's
> more of a cult thing. And maybe our parents know who Miyoshi Umeki is but
> our generation doesn't? I dunno.

I know who she is, though that may have as much to do with my mother's
fascination with *Flower Drum Song* (gak) as her more famous role as Mrs
Livingston.

brigid

Daniel White

Feb 16, 2002, 2:42:05 PM2/16/02

The Avocado Avenger wrote:

Please...when did Miyoshi Umeki die? She was a rare Lotus Blossom that I for
one will miss dearly...
~*~*~*~*~*~
Shirley

The Avocado Avenger

Feb 16, 2002, 1:03:35 PM2/16/02
Daniel White <bigd...@bellsouth.net> writes:

>Please...when did Miyoshi Umeki die? She was a rare Lotus Blossom that I for
>one will miss dearly...

No, I'm sorry, she's not dead, I just put her on my entry into a dead
pool. Don't be frightened! It appears that anyone I put in my entry has
now been assured immortality.

Daniel White

Feb 16, 2002, 4:41:19 PM2/16/02

The Avocado Avenger wrote:

Thank you for the update. I wish her love and happiness and with your blessing of
immortality we will enjoy her for awhile longer.
*********
Shirley

J.D. Baldwin

Feb 16, 2002, 6:17:58 PM2/16/02

In the previous article, The Avocado Avenger <sta...@world.std.com>
wrote:

> A nameless dead pool list has a rule about who is famous and who
> isn't. Well, I won't get into that, because two names I submitted I
> knew were probably going to get scratched off the list because they
> aren't famous, but should be. I just kinda do things like this for
> the principal of the matter. (No one here knows who Miyoshi Umeki
> is, do you? You should. She's an Oscar-winning actress.)

Not only an Oscar-winning actress, but one who starred in a film whose
title is beautifully appropriate to a dead pool list.

> Anyhow, two names I didn't even think of being Not Famous were
> Mother Angelica, and Howard Morris. They're Not Famous.

I have to admit I didn't know who Mother A. was, but ... Howard
Morris?

> Now, I'm not trying to change rules, but... whu?

"Whu," indeed.

> Just wanted to rant a little, and figured I might get more support
> here than anywhere else.

Tell those mean ol' dead pool organizers that J.D. said to pull their
heads out.

Seriously, someone is completely et up with the dumbass here, and it
ain't you.

On the other hand, at least they make the determination of
"famousness" ahead of time, instead of making rulings after the fact.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Brad Ferguson

Feb 17, 2002, 12:31:52 AM2/17/02
In article <GrMwx...@world.std.com>, The Avocado Avenger
<sta...@world.std.com> wrote:

> He's the voice of Gerald McBoing Boing

AFAIK, Gerald didn't talk, except (briefly) in a single cartoon.
Gerald usually "talked" via sound effects. IMDb also credits Marvin
Miller (who played Michael Anthony on "The Millionaire") as the voice
of McBoing-Boing; in fact, he narrated the cartoons. My guess is that
Morris supplied other voices.

One of the in-jokes in "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" is that Tiny Tim
is "played" by a taliing and singing Gerald McBoing-Boing. His voice
there was done by British actress Joan Gardner, who died 17 September
1999 at 85.

The Avocado Avenger

Feb 17, 2002, 1:22:21 AM2/17/02
Brad Ferguson <thir...@frXOXed.net> writes:
><sta...@world.std.com> wrote:

>> He's the voice of Gerald McBoing Boing

>AFAIK, Gerald didn't talk, except (briefly) in a single cartoon.
>Gerald usually "talked" via sound effects. IMDb also credits Marvin
>Miller (who played Michael Anthony on "The Millionaire") as the voice
>of McBoing-Boing; in fact, he narrated the cartoons. My guess is that
>Morris supplied other voices.

He's listed as Gerald in a whole bunch of McBoingBoing cartoons,
according to the IMDb, but now that I think about it I don't remember him
saying much. I can't remember the cartoon, and may have it confused with
the Martian-boy-switched-at-birth-with-a-human cartoon, so my memory isn't
reliable on this one.

Iain Stuart

Feb 16, 2002, 4:46:38 AM2/16/02
Amongst the Spam I noticed The Avocado Avenger typed

> A nameless dead pool list has a rule about who is famous and who isn't.
>Well, I won't get into that, because two names I submitted I knew were
>probably going to get scratched off the list because they aren't famous,
>but should be.

> Anyhow, two names I didn't even think of being Not Famous were Mother

>Angelica, and Howard Morris. They're Not Famous.
> Now, I'm not trying to change rules, but... whu?

As I run the World Best Dead Pool based in Derby, I feel qualified to
reply. A DP with only the big names (Hope, Pope, Dope, Queen Mum) would
be boring as Hull with no real competition, so diversity is necessary.
But, at what level of nomination would you stop awarding points ?

A one-time Oscar nominee ?
A minor US TV star ?
A minor Bulgarian TV Star ?
The ex Mayor of West Grinstead ?
The wife of the ex Mayor of West Grinstead ?
The oldest man in Wales ? (sorry, I don't know his name)
Great Uncle Billy ?
My pet parrot ?
The SF49ers chances of winning Wimbledon ?
Blinky my pet chicken?
An un-named chicken?

The humans would probably get a mention in their local papers, and I
could post Obituaries for the non-humans on alt.obits.

What do you suggest as a suitable criteria ?

(In case you're wondering, the Derby Dead Pool has a simple criteria, "A
celebrity is someone who's death is announced in the UK media. ("The
Guardian" is taken as the standard text, but other UK publications may
be accepted.) No obituary, no points." Even with that, there have been
problems. No obituary for Carrie Hamilton, so no points.)
Big-Iain

Quote of the day...
"Man muß den Menschen vor allem nach seinen Lastern
beurteilen. Tugenden können vorgetäuscht sein. Laster
sind echt.

(One should judge a man mainly from his depravities.
Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real.)"

Klaus Kinski

kelly

Feb 17, 2002, 12:12:14 PM2/17/02
. I just kinda do things like this for the principal of the
> > matter. (No one here knows who Miyoshi Umeki is, do you? You should.
> > She's an Oscar-winning actress.)
>
> Sayonara

Sure do.... Flower Drum Song, Courtship of Eddie's Father, for two. Must
be a senior thing.

Kelly

To...@fred.net

Feb 17, 2002, 6:20:51 PM2/17/02
<gdr>

--
To...@Fred.Net http://www.fred.net/tomr

* Faith Manages...... But Willow is in Tech Support
* "Hello, girls.... I'm the Easter Bunny!" - Janet Reno, "South Park"
* Look out! If Bender says "ass", Katherine Harris will appear!
* This .sig brought to you by the "Boxleitner/Doyle-2004" Election
Committee.

"I read "Free Mumia Abu-Jamal" so many times, it was starting to sound
like a mail-in order - add $5.95 shipping and handling." - Kathi

Mary Kay Bergman 1961-1999

Louis Epstein

Feb 18, 2002, 11:34:56 AM2/18/02
Brad Ferguson <thir...@frxoxed.net> wrote:
: In article <GrLtM...@world.std.com>, The Avocado Avenger
: <sta...@world.std.com> wrote:

The stiffs.com Fame Committee,nameless non-players of their
game(I don't play it and am not on the Fame Committee either),
has to have some members who have heard of someone for them to
accept anyone not on their Select-o-Matic list.(They USED to
use the AP wire as a standard,then didn't like the result).
(Of persons discussed on this thread,I had not heard of
Howard Morris).

Before settling on my use of only the oldest people I could
find,I considered submitting a Death Game list composed
entirely of sets of namesakes...didn't rack my brain hard
enough to get the necessary 68 names.

-=-=-

The Avocado Avenger

Feb 18, 2002, 7:36:50 PM2/18/02
To...@Fred.Net writes:

><gdr>

I deserve that for omitting the comma.

Edwin King

Feb 19, 2002, 5:57:07 PM2/19/02

Iain Stuart wrote

> As I run the World Best Dead Pool based in Derby, I feel qualified to
> reply. A DP with only the big names (Hope, Pope, Dope, Queen Mum) would
> be boring as Hull with no real competition, so diversity is necessary.

It would be even more boring as none of these or the other people listed
as the top 10 frequently chosen candidates in last year's DDP actually
died...

Edwin

Harry Krause

Feb 19, 2002, 6:58:27 PM2/19/02

I'm sure there are dumber things to do than run or participate in a
"dead pool," but, then, I'm not into necrophilia. Keeping track of who
has died is an altogether different matter.

--
Harry Krause
- -

Edwin King

Feb 20, 2002, 3:36:04 PM2/20/02

Harry Krause wrote:

> I'm sure there are dumber things to do than run or participate in a
> "dead pool,"

Yes, there's flooding an obits newsgroup with off-topic political crap
and petty squabbles - piss off.

Edwin