Is Robert C. Goldston, history writer, alive? (Born 1927)

leno...@yahoo.com

Jul 9, 2007, 12:59:52 PM7/9/07
His middle name is Conroy. I was going to post his birthday and then
spotted this -

http://www.gf.org/57fellow.html

- where he's listed as deceased, but there's no date. I can't seem to
find anything else.

Born in NYC, he also lived in L.A. and the Midwest and later lived on
the island of Ibiza, Spain.

He apparently also designed covers for Nebula magazine under the name
James Stark.

http://www.liveibiza.com/ibiza_literature/robert_goldston_ibiza.htm
(about Goldston, Ibiza and one 1958 novel set in nearby Catalonia/
Cataluña)

AWARDS
Guggenheim fellowship in fiction, 1957-58.

WRITINGS:

(Under pseudonym James Stark) The Greek Virgin, Avon, 1959.

Satan's Disciples, Ballantine, 1962.
The Soviets: A Pictorial History of Communist Russia, Bantam, 1967.
The Negro Revolution, Macmillan, 1968.
Our Times: The Sixties, Random House, 1972.

Novels:

The Eighth Day, Rinehart, 1956.
The Catafalque, Rinehart, 1958.

The Shore Dimly Seen, Random House, 1963.
The Last of Lazarus, Random House, 1966.

Juveniles; published by Bobbs-Merrill, except as indicated:

(Adapter) Tales of the Alhambra, 1962.
The Legend of the Cid, 1963.
(Adapter with wife, Marguerite Goldston) The Song of Roland, 1965.
The Russian Revolution, 1966.
The Civil War in Spain, 1966.
The Life and Death of Nazi Germany, 1967.
Spain, Macmillan, 1967.
The Rise of Red China, 1967.
The Great Depression: The United States in the Thirties, 1968.
(Under pseudonym Robert Conroy) The Battle of Manila Bay: The Spanish-
American War in the Philippines, Macmillan, 1968.
(Under pseudonym Robert Conroy) The Battle of Bataan: America's
Greatest Defeat, Macmillan, 1969.
Barcelona: The Civic Stage, Macmillan, 1969.
London: The Civic Spirit, Macmillan, 1969.
The Battles of the Constitution: Old Ironsides and the Freedom of the
Seas, Macmillan, 1969.

New York: Civic Exploitation, Macmillan, 1970.
Suburbia: Civil Denial, Macmillan, 1970.
The Cuban Revolution, 1970.
The Coming of the Cold War, Macmillan, 1970.
The Fall of the Winter Palace, F. Watts, 1971.
The Long March, F. Watts, 1971.
Communism: A Narrative History, Fawcett, 1972.
The Vietnamese Revolution, 1972.
The Coming of the Civil War, Macmillan, 1972.
The Siege of the Alcazar, F. Watts, 1972.
Pearl Harbor!, F. Watts, 1972.
The Death of Gandhi, F. Watts, 1973.
The American Nightmare: Senator Joseph R. McCarthy and the Politics of
Hate, 1973.
The American War of National Liberation, 1763-1783, Dutton, 1976.
Next Year in Jerusalem: A Short History of Zionism, Little, Brown,
1978.
The Road between the Wars, 1918-1941, Dial, 1978.
The Sword of the Prophet: A History of the Arab World from the Time of
Mohammed to the Present Day, Dial, 1979.

Sinister Touches: The Secret War against Hitler, Dial, 1982.

"Also author of Anarchism, for Bantam, The War to End Wars and The
U.S. and South America, both for Macmillan, and The Rise and Fall of
U.S. Imperialism, for Bobbs-Merrill."

Lenona.

bza4...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2015, 3:58:13 PM12/3/15
yes he is dead.
what the numerous articles fail to mention though is that he had another marriage which produced a first born daughter born in 1950.
He was a jerk in my opinion and despite his ability to write, does not deserve any special accolades as a human being.

MJ Emigh

Dec 3, 2015, 4:44:29 PM12/3/15
And you are the daughter, I presume? Where have you BEEN for the past eight years?!?

leno...@yahoo.com

Dec 5, 2015, 2:35:15 PM12/5/15

> yes he is dead.

Um, could you please tell me WHEN - and where? I still can't find a thing, even in familysearch.org. Unless I should look under another name.

bza4...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2016, 3:21:48 PM1/18/16
No I am not his daughter, and I was unaware of this group until this year.
And yes he is dead, I am just not at liberty to reveal that date.

adande...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 2:44:01 PM3/3/16
What made him a jerk? And why aren't you at liberty to say the date of his passing?

goldsto...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2016, 11:33:40 PM4/4/16
I am his grand daughter, and yes he has passed away. The comment above pertaining to his character was rude, ignorant, and unfounded. Whoever wrote it, has no legs to stand on, nor any decency.

fggol...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2017, 1:18:20 PM7/19/17
On Monday, July 9, 2007 at 12:59:52 PM UTC-4, leno...@yahoo.com wrote:
HI Lenona - not sure what this group is - but I am glad you are all interested in my father's books. He was married twice, he divorced his first wife which had produced a daughter, which the mother kept secret from the daughter for most of her life. He married my mother and had six children and we wereraised on the island of Ibiza, Spain - a fabulous upbrining. Later on in my life, I managed to get in touch with our half-sister and while I cannot say who the person that hates him so much is, I can certainy tell you that his first daughter has nothing but accoldaes for him and regrets that her mother never allowed her to know about her 5 sistrs and brother. The father that raised her was a complete ashole. Now, my father, Robert Goldston, was most certainly a bastard, but he was no asshole. He was also an unbelievable genius and his books should be obligatory reading material - he had an uncanny ability to give people an understanding of thousands of years of history within a few chapters so that they could then understand the modern-day histories he was offering with a sound grasp and historical context of the country or issue at hand.

fggol...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2017, 1:35:48 PM7/19/17
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 2:35:15 PM UTC-5, leno...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > yes he is dead.
>

> Um, could you please tell me WHEN - and where? I still can't find a thing, even in familysearch.org. Unless I should look under another name.

He died at the age of 54, in Palma de Mallorca on Jan 15 1982 after a short-lived and vicious battle against renal carcinoma. His death was attended by all of his family who would be the only ones who have this information, simply because nobody ever asked us. I don't think many people jotted down his death-date so the probable reason the poster who hates him is not at liberty to divulge the information is simply because they don't know. They must know me though if they knew my father well enough to know that he was a bastard.

leno...@yahoo.com

Jul 19, 2017, 2:08:25 PM7/19/17
Thank you. (This is alt.obituaries.)

Here's the ONLY other source, which I found just now after adding that date:

http://www.crimefictioniv.com/Part_6A.html

Lenona.
Message has been deleted