Sal Pacino, father of Al

deb...@comcast.net

Jan 14, 2005, 1:06:28 PM1/14/05
Sal Pacino, father of actor Al Pacino, dead at 82
San Jose Mercury News - Jan 14 5:00 AM
COVINA, Calif. - Sal Pacino, the father of actor Al Pacino, has died at
age 82. Pacino, a former life insurance salesman who later owned a
nightclub, died of a heart attack Wednesday, according to the San
Gabriel Valley Tribune.

deb...@comcast.net

Jan 14, 2005, 1:17:17 PM1/14/05

Father of Oscar winner Pacino dies in Covina

By Rodney Tanaka, Staff Writer

COVINA -- Sal Pacino, a longtime Covina resident and father of
Oscar-winner Al Pacino, has died.
"He was the love of my life," his wife, Katherin Kovin-Pacino, said
Thursday. "He was charming, he was funny. He was just brilliant."

Pacino, 82, died of a heart attack Wednesday. He once owned Pacino's
Lounge, a restaurant, hotel and bar in downtown Covina that closed in
1992. The bar stirred up controversy in the early 1990s after
allegations employees served alcohol to minors.

Demonstrators picketed outside the bar, calling for its closure. The
California Alcoholic Beverage Control Department decided not to seek
penalties.

Pacino's Lounge is now Citrus Grill. The downstairs bowling alley was
turned into a banquet room, Covina spokeswoman Bobbi Kemp said.

Running Pacino's Lounge was one of many careers Pacino undertook in his
life.

Salvatore Alfred Pacino was born in Manhattan on Feb. 16, 1922.

He dropped out of school at age 15 after meeting Rose Gerard, 20, and
falling in love, according to his Web site, www.salpacino.com . They
got married when Sal was 17, and a year later Rose gave birth to Alfred
"Al" Pacino. But the couple separated soon after and the divorce split
father and son for years.

Sal left New York for the military when Al was 3 and later moved to
California. The two stayed in touch and visited occasionally, according
to a 1993 San Gabriel Valley Tribune article.

He eventually remarried, taking a job with Metropolitan Life, where he
worked as an insurance salesman for 30 years.

He married Katherin Kovin, his fifth wife, in 1995.

Pacino is survived by one son, Al, and four daughters, Josette,
Roberta, Paula and Desiree.

"He loved Al," Kovin-Pacino said. "He was so proud of his son and his
daughters."

Al Pacino's publicist did not release a statement regarding Sal
Pacino's death.

Sal Pacino also became active in the entertainment industry. He was a
member of Silver Foxes, parents of stars fighting negative stereotypes
about aging and advocating for an active, healthy lifestyle.

Sal and Katherin Pacino's most recent film project focuses on South
American revolutionary Simon Bolivar.

Pacino moved to Covina in the late 1950s and remained there until his
death, Kovin-Pacino said.

"He really appreciated me," she said. "He cherished me as I cherished
him. Everybody knew us as a couple and as an acting team."
The family will hold a private funeral, she said.

ri_c...@yahoo.com

Jan 14, 2005, 6:46:16 PM1/14/05

deb...@comcast.net wrote:

> Pacino, 82, died of a heart attack Wednesday.

He was certainly a young Dad. Al Pacino was born April 25, 1940. That
means that Sal was only 18 when Al was born.