Grupos de Google ya no admite publicaciones ni suscripciones nuevas de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue visible.

Richard Mock, 77; longtime radio newsman was a delayed victim of the Joplin tornado

43 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

deep...@my-deja.com

no leída,
5 dic 2011, 11:39:29 a.m.5/12/2011
para
http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/29894259/detail.html?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=4779d9089c-TRI_12-05-2011&utm_medium=email

Radio newsman dies of injuries from Joplin tornado
St. Joseph News-Press
POSTED: 10:40 pm CST November 30, 2011

Well-known radio newsman Richard (Paul) Mock died recently at age 77
in Joplin, Mo., after suffering injuries from last May’s devastating
tornado. Mr. Mock’s death notice appeared recently in the Joplin
Globe.

Mr. Mock had worked at many radio and television stations, including
KKJO in St. Joseph during the 1980s. He was a well-known and highly
respected radio newsman whose career included stints at such stations
as KLIF 1190 in Dallas, KILT 610 in Houston, KCMO in Kansas City and
KFMB in San Diego.

Newspress3now anchor Bob Heater worked with Mr. Mock at KKJO.

“Richard was one of the only people I ever met in radio who actually
looked exactly like he sounded on air,” Mr. Heater said. “Six-foot-3,
350 pounds with thick glasses and a sweater.

“Mock was the consummate old-school newsman with the voice of God that
was enjoyed in many markets, large and small. My favorite line of his
that I’ll always remember was in a story he read on a train wreck. I’m
paraphrasing here, but it went something like this: ‘The impact of the
crash sent rail cars careening in every direction, and passengers
inside were tossed around like BBs in a bathtub!’”

Mr. Mock was inducted into the Texas Radio Hall of Fame on Nov. 6, but
was unable to attend the event. His career highlights included an
interview with then-presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy in the
1960s, and coverage of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy
in Dallas.

According to news reports, Mr. Mock lived the past 10 years about a
block from Joplin High School and sustained serious injuries from the
tornado. His official Hall of Fame biography says Mr. Mock’s house was
blown away in the twister and he survived by holding onto the central
anchor post of his house. He spent 32 days in the hospital following
the tornado and talked with longtime broadcasting friends about the
circumstances.

Graveside services were held Wednesday at Ozark Memorial Park
Mausoleum in Joplin.

The following is a link to an interview Mr. Mock did with Bottom Line
Communications on his experience in the tornado:
www.bottomlinecom.com/kcnews/mockdiscussestornado.html.
0 mensajes nuevos