跳到第一則未讀訊息

Diner

未讀,
2012年8月1日 上午9:04:202012/8/1
收件者:
Photo at URL
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/arts/television/r-g-armstrong-character-actor-in-westerns-dies-at-95.html

July 31, 2012
R. G. Armstrong, Character Actor in Westerns, Dies at 95
By DANIEL E. SLOTNIK

R. G. Armstrong Jr., a rough-hewed character actor known for playing sheriffs, outlaws and other macho roles, died on Friday at his home in Studio City, Calif. He was 95.

His death was confirmed by his daughter Robbie Armstrong-Dunham.

Mr. Armstrong’s five-decade career took off with guest spots on virtually all the popular Western television shows of the 1950s and ’60s, including “Have Gun — Will Travel” and “Gunsmoke.”

After meeting the writer and director Sam Peckinpah on the set of his 1960 series “The Westerner,” Mr. Armstrong became a regular in his films, playing an outspoken Christian fundamentalist in “Ride the High Country,” with Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea; a minister in “Major Dundee,” with Charlton Heston in the title role; and a vicious deputy sheriff alongside Kris Kristofferson and Bob Dylan (in a small role) in “Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.”

Departing from westerns, Mr. Armstrong performed with James Earl Jones in “The Great White Hope” and with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the alien-thriller “Predator.” He appeared on innumerable non-western television shows like “The Twilight Zone” and “The Andy Griffith Show,” and was a favorite of Warren Beatty’s. Mr. Beatty cast him in the films “Heaven Can Wait,” “Reds” and as Pruneface in “Dick Tracy.”

Robert Golden Armstrong Jr. was born on April 7, 1917, in Birmingham, Ala. He graduated from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and moved to New York to attend Lee Strasberg’s Actors Studio in the mid-1950s. That led him to parts in Elia Kazan’s original production of Tennessee Williams’s “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” in 1955 (as Dr. Baugh) and in other Broadway shows like “Orpheus Descending” and “The Miracle Worker” before heading for Hollywood’s television studios.

Besides his daughter Robbie, Mr. Armstrong, who was married three times, is survived by two other daughters from his first marriage, Laurie Nell and Daryl Armstrong; a son, Wynn; a daughter from an earlier relationship, Betty; and five grandchildren.

© 2012 The New York Times Company
訊息已遭刪除

Brad Ferguson

未讀,
2012年8月1日 晚上10:46:142012/8/1
收件者:
In article <fflj18ps5saprli7q...@4ax.com>, Terry del
Fuego <t_del...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> After watching "A Face in the Crowd" I was trying to find out if
> Stanley Adams had a bit part.

I've just zipped through it. One of the extras in the Cracker Barrel
Show looks something like Stanley Adams, but it's not he. (I have
screen grabs if you need to see them.) I didn't see any sign of him
anywhere else.
訊息已遭刪除

Brad Ferguson

未讀,
2012年8月2日 上午9:21:022012/8/2
收件者:
In article <d9sk18d3k48d75f5d...@4ax.com>, Terry del
Fuego <t_del...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 22:46:14 -0400, Brad Ferguson
> <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote:
>
> >I've just zipped through it. One of the extras in the Cracker Barrel
> >Show looks something like Stanley Adams, but it's not he.
>
> Sounds like we're talking about the same guy. Moustache, right?
> Whoever he is, he looks familiar. For something of that vintage, that
> usually means I've seen him/her on either "Star Trek" or "Perry
> Mason".
>
> Thanks for the sanity check!

No problem. Me, I got to see the ending of A Face in the Crowd again,
and that was reward enough.

Brian

未讀,
2012年8月2日 晚上9:51:072012/8/2
收件者:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 06:04:20 -0700 (PDT), Diner <bway...@gmail.com>
wrote:
My wife and I both thought that he and Fred Thompson looked very
similar.

peggype...@gmail.com

未讀,
2018年2月26日 上午8:08:222018/2/26
收件者:
I also think Thompson and Armstrong look very much alike although Thompson is (was) 25 years younger. They were both born in Alabama about 123 miles apart. Can'the help but wonder if they are (were) related.
0 則新訊息