Archival 2007 death: Bobby "Boris" Pickett, 69

radioacti...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2021, 8:54:24 AM10/16/21
I've never seem the late Pickett--who died from leukemia on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 in L.A. (and as it happened was nine days after the Virginia Tech massacre)--perform this onstage, so maybe this vid is new as well (to those herein interested).

To me this sounds identical to the released 1962 single, so I guess it's lip-synched. I would think trying to lip-synch a talkin' vocal like this is WAY more difficult than a song that's sung, and it's also an impression--two, actually-- which strikes me as even MORE difficult to synch. But it sure seems seamless.

And who's the Bandstand regular under the rubber mask whom Clark is chatting up?

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
===================================
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNuVifA7DSU

Lenona

Oct 16, 2021, 11:24:08 AM10/16/21
And here's the "Monster Swim"!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KSZD45fXTek

Musically, it's not as good. Lyrics-wise...quite impressive!

And, I found out there WAS a dance called the Swim, which is likely why Boris didn't name it "Monster Splash."

That Derek

Oct 16, 2021, 2:23:48 PM10/16/21
"Monster Mash" was Number One on Billboard the week that That Derek was born. There was something going on about missiles in Cuba contemporaneously.

I oncc saw Bobby Pickett performing "Monster Mash" at NYC's The Bottom Line as part of a Dr Demento package tour. He lost his ability to impersonate Boris Karloff after the song's first line.

Sheb Wooley tried out some jokes between songs and bombed big-time.

Louis Epstein

Oct 16, 2021, 7:00:03 PM10/16/21
At the time of his death,Pickett's website claimed that he could still
be dug up to perform a medley of his hit.
Has anyone had success doing so since?

-=-=-

Marc Catone

Oct 16, 2021, 10:23:40 PM10/16/21
The Monster Mash was released in 1962. The Swim (Bobby Freeman) came out two years later in 1964.