Hank Beebe, 96, composer of industrial musicals ("Bathtubs Over Broadway" subject)

Diner

Feb 6, 2023, 11:14:43 AM2/6/23
https://www.facebook.com/BathtubsOverBroadway/posts/pfbid0xxPESM17W4MZAUyVapeHNS2sTWvx1JhSkMfx6SKjWT2KPtPW2Yb2UMAjL1HHNbgpl

Bathtubs Over Broadway is with Steve Young and Dava Whisenant.
Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 3:30 PM

With heavy hearts, we are sharing the news that the great HANK BEEBE has died at 96.
Bathtubs Over Broadway fans know Hank for his legendary industrial shows like “Diesel Dazzle” and “Got to Investigate Silicones,” as well as for his warmth and wisdom that won him so many admirers. His musical prowess also went far beyond industrials. In seven decades of writing and composing, Hank produced a vast output of shows, scores, and songs, including an enormous library of sacred music that has been played around the world.
He was also a veteran of the US Navy, and a deeply devoted husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. He loved living with his large extended family in their big house in Maine, and he shared an exquisite love story with his dear wonderful wife of 71 years, Nancy.
Steve Young and Bathtubs’ director Dava Whisenant stayed in close touch with Hank in recent years, visiting him in Maine many times and enjoying frequent, often weekly, phone conversations. He was a friend, a mentor, a colleague, and an inspiration. He loved being busy, continuing to write and work and inspire even in the last months of his life.
Hank Beebe represented the best of humanity in so many ways. We will miss him terribly, we’re grateful that we knew him, and we're grateful that we had the honor of sharing him with the world. We love you, Hank. ❤️
Here is the Beebe/Heyer tune "We Were There" for your listening enjoyment. It's a beauty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuio_sND-AY

David Samuel Barr

Feb 6, 2023, 9:28:18 PM2/6/23
Hank Beebe's name immediately calls to mind
the 1976 Off-Broadway musical "Tuscaloosa's
Calling Me...But I'm Not Going!", for which
he wrote the music and co-wrote the book
along with lyricist Bill Heyer and (my Dad's
cousin) Sam Dann. Probably the most memorable
song from it is "Delicatessen", a tango
celebrating New York's superiority thereof
to that of all other places'; unfortunately
no one seems to have posted a YouTube of the
cast album other than the title song, nor
any of the lyrics, and I don't have access
now to my copy of the original cast album
to try to remedy that.