COVID question

Lenona

Oct 20, 2021, 3:16:46 PM10/20/21
Quote:

"Does any individual capable of logical thinking believe that the COVID virus will stop doing its occasionally nefarious thing as a consequence of vaccines, even if it could be proven that the vaccines in question do more good than harm? COVID is going to be with us forever. Given that its mortality rate is lower than that of the seasonal flu, I fail to see reason for uproar or even more than commonsensical precautions. A friend contracts COVID? Don’t go around your friend until he or she has recovered. Wow! What brilliance...

"...My wife and I went to a local (New Bern, North Carolina) restaurant for lunch today. Of six visible employees, five were mask-less, one was wearing a mask that a virus can pass through as easily as a mosquito can pass through a chain-link fence. Easier, in fact, by much...When I asked him why he was the only employee wearing a mask, he began mumbling incoherently..."

(snip)

My question is, can anyone here guess how he got the idea that COVID is less dangerous than the flu - or that masks do little to protect the people around you? (I don't mean "sources" like Fox News.) *I* can't imagine.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 20, 2021, 5:12:21 PM10/20/21
I got the idea that masks are ineffective from a study that showed if
one had the misfortune of being in the vicinity of a superspreader
indoors, you're fucked. The droplets with the virus can linger in the
air if the superspreader moves away. You can get it if you are within 12
feet. It's possible if either of you are masked or you're both masked.

Sorry, but you breathe in and breathe out the same volume of air mask or
no mask.

The superspreader shows no obvious symptoms. That's why this disease is
so insideous.

Meteorite Debris

Oct 21, 2021, 7:58:40 AM10/21/21
A mask will catch the aerosols in which virus particles are found. On a cold morning you can see the effect of masks yourself as I have. Breath in and out without a mask and you can see your breath in water droplets. Put your mask on and breath in and out and you can not see your breath. Masks work. If they didn't surgeons would not wear them in operations. Anti-maskers should request their surgeon NOT to wear a mask the next time they are unconscious on the metal slab table, if they REALLY believe that masks are useless.

Matthew Kruk

Oct 21, 2021, 12:30:02 PM10/21/21
"Terry del Fuego" <t_del...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 12:16:44 -0700 (PDT), Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Does any individual capable of logical thinking believe that the COVID virus
>>will stop doing its occasionally nefarious thing as a consequence of vaccines,
>>even if it could be proven that the vaccines in question do more good than
>>harm?
>
> Let's ask smallpox and polio.

Glad you mentioned it. Both made people sick or killed them - and I'll add
measles. Luckily vaccines were developed. I'd like to think that most mothers
would not think twice about having their kids vaccinated against them. (I think
smallpox is no longer a concern as it is considered irradicated.)

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 21, 2021, 5:38:20 PM10/21/21
I know what the theory of masking is. The study didn't support it.
Ordinary people don't wear masks the way surgical nurses are taught.

>On a
>cold morning you can see the effect of masks yourself as I have. Breath
>in and out without a mask and you can see your breath in water droplets.
>Put your mask on and breath in and out and you can not see your breath.
>Masks work. If they didn't surgeons would not wear them in operations.

No one on the surgical team is supposed to be invected with a diseases
as communicable as COVID-19, duh. Surgical masks are meant to prevent
sweat and snot from falling into the surgical cavity to mitigate against
bacterial infection. They aren't trying to mitigate against viral
infections like COVID-19. If anyone on the team is infected with
COVID-19, they must not operate.

>Anti-maskers should request their surgeon NOT to wear a mask the next
>time they are unconscious on the metal slab table, if they REALLY
>believe that masks are useless.

You don't believe in the science.

Meteorite Debris

Oct 21, 2021, 7:45:57 PM10/21/21
I have seen the slow mo footage. Masks capture aerosols and aerosols carry viral particles. Viral particles not carried by aerosol will not last long. They are very sensitive to dryness and to sunshine. That is the science. If you REALLY believe that masks only stop sweat then ask your surgeon to take off his mask and breathe into the incision he makes into your stomach next he operates on you as an experiment for the rest of us. Masks work.

Still I ask you to take the opportunity this coming winter to do the visual experiment of breathing with and without a mask and you can see the aerosol on a cold morning without a mask and you can not see the aerosol with a mask. Unless you're afraid of being wrong.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 21, 2021, 9:29:20 PM10/21/21
Goodie. You refuse to read the report. As I recall, it was by MIT but I
might be wrong about that. I saw it a few months back.

>Masks capture aerosols and aerosols
>carry viral particles. Viral particles not carried by aerosol will not
>last long. They are very sensitive to dryness and to sunshine. That is
>the science.

What part of encountering the superspreader indoors was unclear to you?
This is how the vast majority of people caught the disease.

You've gone off on a tangent and the rest snipped.

Meteorite Debris

Oct 22, 2021, 7:36:51 AM10/22/21
Mask are effective and superspreaders exist. That's why it's wise to wear a mask. Do the cold morning test yourself if you don't believe me.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 22, 2021, 10:38:33 AM10/22/21
According to the study, masks do not effectively present spread of the
disease indoors within 12 feet of the superspreader even for a short
period of time after the superspreader has left the immediate vicinity.

What applies to other diseases doesn't apply to this disease. Also, most
people don't wear masks as a surgical team has been taught to wear them.

I can repeat this additional times but you're ignoring studies and just
don't care.

Lenona

Oct 22, 2021, 2:34:44 PM10/22/21
The operating room clearly requires far more precautions than in everyday settings. After all, during surgery, incisions are made in the patient.

But, even IF medical workers will tell you (under pressure) that masks don't stop most of a virus, per se, I think there's a very good reason for them to keep quiet about that.

Namely, while even elderly patients have been known to catch COVID and survive, they might not have survived if they had already caught some BACTERIAL disease.

And children, especially, are bacteria vectors, which is why, even pre-pandemic, they weren't allowed to visit most patients in hospitals.

Need I say more?

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 22, 2021, 4:05:40 PM10/22/21
Lenona <leno...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The operating room clearly requires far more precautions than in
>everyday settings. After all, during surgery, incisions are made in the
>patient.

They smear betadine on the skin before making the incision to help
prevent staph infections. The masks will help prevent staph and other
bacterial infections from being passed on to the patient.

The point I'm making is that they wear surgical masks correction. Those
of us who aren't on surgical teams don't.

>But, even IF medical workers will tell you (under pressure) that masks
>don't stop most of a virus, per se, I think there's a very good reason
>for them to keep quiet about that.

I don't care what they say or don't say. If they know they are sick with
flu or a cold, then they must not participate in surgery. They aren't
going to know they don't have COVID-19, of course.

>Namely, while even elderly patients have been known to catch COVID and
>survive, they might not have survived if they had already caught some
>BACTERIAL disease.

>And children, especially, are bacteria vectors, which is why, even
>pre-pandemic, they weren't allowed to visit most patients in hospitals.

That hasn't been a common restriction in a long time. That was more myth
than reality. We certainly are well aware that adults don't properly
scrub up themselves.

>Need I say more?

Topic Cop

Oct 22, 2021, 8:17:50 PM10/22/21
For the past few days I had a slight scratchy throat.

Do I stay home the next day 15 days (including forfeiting concert tix and my birthday) or say fuck it yo, I am vaxxed and if you're not that's your problem?

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 22, 2021, 9:38:23 PM10/22/21
If you're on a surgical team, stay home.

Lenona

Oct 23, 2021, 2:20:40 PM10/23/21
On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 4:05:40 PM UTC-4, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Lenona wrote:

> >But, even IF medical workers will tell you (under pressure) that masks
> >don't stop most of a virus, per se, I think there's a very good reason
> >for them to keep quiet about that.

> I don't care what they say or don't say. If they know they are sick with
> flu or a cold, then they must not participate in surgery. They aren't
> going to know they don't have COVID-19, of course.

Maybe I should have clarified that. My point was that maybe health care workers, since March of 2020, have pushed for people to wear masks in GENERAL because, that way, even those who end up catching COVID outside of a hospital are less likely to die, if they've been protected from catching bacteria beforehand.

It reminds me of how every responsible adult will tell small children to stay away from yew bushes and their berries, which are a common decoration outside houses. But...the berries are actually edible! The trouble is that the SEEDS can be deadly. So obviously, it only makes sense to forfeit the pleasure of eating the berries to avoid the chance of swallowing even one seed. (We just don't explain that to children, since kids tend to be reckless in their pursuit of pleasure and think adults worry too much about danger. In the same vein, too many adults are unbelievably selfish when it comes to protecting the strangers around them, so there's no reason to tempt them to wear masks even less often.)

.
> >And children, especially, are bacteria vectors, which is why, even
> >pre-pandemic, they weren't allowed to visit most patients in hospitals.

> That hasn't been a common restriction in a long time. That was more myth
> than reality. We certainly are well aware that adults don't properly
> scrub up themselves.

Got a source for that? I'm not sure just how to search for pre-pandemic rules, but what I did find implied that right now, at least, some hospitals won't let in any visitor under 5 - and some said 12.

And I've NEVER heard that the rules for kids had anything to do with bathing or grooming habits. Even clean kids are more likely to be infected with lice than clean adults - never mind juvenile diseases.

Dave P.

Oct 24, 2021, 3:49:00 AM10/24/21
Lenona wrote:
> Quote: [...]
> My question is, can anyone here guess how he got the idea that COVID
> is less dangerous than the flu - or that masks do little to protect the
> people around you? (I don't mean "sources" like Fox News.) *I* can't imagine.
------
If we had taken steps to control population, 50 years ago,
when the scientists called for Zero Population Growth,
we could have prevented climate change, the refugee crisis,
environmental degradation, and the decimation of wildlife,
but most people refused to take those scientists seriously!

Nowhere else in Nature does a population keep increasing
indefinitely without a crash! Instead of stupidly waiting for
a crash, we should stop making flu, MMR, and Covid shots!
The most sensible way to control population is the natural
way, by communicable disease!
..
..

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 24, 2021, 3:14:28 PM10/24/21
A rapid systematic review of the efficacy of face masks and respirators
against coronaviruses and other respiratory transmissible viruses for
the community, healthcare workers and sick patients
by C Raina MacIntyre, Abrar Ahmad Chughtai
International Journal of Nursing Studies
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32512240/

This was last year's advice.

This study disagrees.

A guideline to limit indoor airborne transmission of COVID-19
by Martin Z. Bazant and John W. M. Bush
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the
United States of America
https://www.pnas.org/content/118/17/e2018995118

Note that you can still be fucked at 60 feet. The study basically
concluded never be indoors.

Lenona

Oct 24, 2021, 5:08:34 PM10/24/21
Another Doonesbury strip.

I admit I don't know the five who died from COVID, but it's still interesting.

https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/2021/10/24

Topic Cop

Oct 24, 2021, 8:35:35 PM10/24/21
I assumed internet porn would limit population growth but it only seems to be working in my household.

Dave P.

Oct 25, 2021, 3:16:09 PM10/25/21
------
The mistake was made 50 years ago, when our parents and
grandparents didn't listen to the scientists! In order to see the
costs and consequences of over-population, you have to read,
and most people still don't read!
..