Dances With Wolves actor Jimmy Herman dies in Edmonton

Matthew Kruk

Sep 16, 2013, 9:35:30 PM9/16/13
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Dances+With+Wolves+actor+Jimmy+Herman+dies+Edmonton/8915535/story.html

Dances With Wolves actor Jimmy Herman dies in Edmonton
By Marty Klinkenberg, Edmonton Journal
September 16, 2013

EDMONTON - Native actor Jimmy Herman, who rose to prominence with a role in the
Academy Award-Winning film Dances with Wolves, died in Edmonton on Friday at age
72.

Born on the Cold Lake Reserve, Herman attended a residential school and battled
alcohol before taking up aboriginal studies at Grant MacEwan College and going
to work for the Native Counseling Services of Alberta.

In 1989, he decided to pursue performing arts and a year later was cast as a
Sioux warrior in Kevin Costner's epic film, a portrayal that launched a
distinguished career.

The son of a fur trapper who lived off the land in northeastern Alberta, Herman
appeared in numerous movies and television programs over the last two decades,
including a 10-year stint as Joe Gomba - a fur trapper - in the CBC series North
of 60. He was also cast in the film Reindeer Games, had a cameo role in Clint
Eastwood's Oscar-winning western Unforgiven, played Geronimo in a made-for-cable
movie and appeared on the X-Files.

In 2005, he was honoured by Edmonton's Dreamspeakers Film Festival Society with
a plaque on its Aboriginal Walk of Fame.

"Jimmy was a pioneer," said Murray Jurak, vice-president of the Dreamspeakers
Society. "It was a shock when I heard he died.

"He was one of the first people to get involved in media and tell our stories
and, despite all of his success, remained a humble guy.

"He always stood with the First Nations community."

A father of two daughters with one grandchild, Herman had fallen ill for several
months. He collapsed at home on Thursday night shortly after asking his wife,
Shirley, to take him to the hospital, his brother, Jerry, said.

A viewing will be held from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday at the Sacred Heart
Church of the First Peoples in Edmonton, in the same neighbourhood where he
worked to counsel other aboriginals who have fallen upon hard times. His funeral
will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. on the Cold Lake First Nation.

"The thing that was most amazing about him was the path in life that he took,"
Jerry Herman said Sunday night. "He had many struggles, but he came a long way
and made himself into what he had become."

An activist for native rights in recent years, Jerry Herman said Jimmy
counselled inmates and worked with youth on the Cold Lake First Nation,
encouraging them to take pride in who they were.

"Everyone knows where he came from," Jerry Herman said. "He tried to tell young
people that if he could make it, anybody could.

"I was so very proud of him."

mklink...@edmontonjournal.com
� Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

cathyc...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2013, 11:34:03 PM9/16/13
Worst. Best. Picture. Winner. Ever.

Sauve Maria

Sep 17, 2013, 12:32:44 AM9/17/13
Now, dancing with Elvis.

News

Sep 17, 2013, 11:59:33 PM9/17/13
<cathyc...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Worst. Best. Picture. Winner. Ever.

Another dumb opinion by 'Cathy'.

Michael OConnor

Sep 18, 2013, 6:30:47 AM9/18/13
Dances With Wolves was not one of the worst BP winners ever, off the top of my head, I would think Argo (while a fine film) will in time be regarded as one of the very lesser BP film winners; the best film of 2012 probably should have been Life of Pi. Crash, Gladiator, Ordinary People, Kramer vs. Kramer are a couple poor choices that come to mind. I think the worst BP winner of my lifetime was probably Rocky, which won over Network, not to mention All the Presidents Men and Taxi Driver.

As far as Dances With Wolves, I think it was a good selection. For one thing, Hollywood likes a risk taker, and Kevin Costner gambled his career as a leading man on making this movie, taking no salary and borrowing every penny he could to revive a genre that hadn't seen a hit movie in over 20 years, since True Grit. When the movie was being made, they were referring to it as Kevin's Gate, people were expecting a disaster that would have ruined his career. He shocked the film world by hitting it out of the park and the film became a hit and he earned his Oscar for the risk he took. As it turned out, Costner gambled on a pair of post-apocalyptic films, Waterworld (which was a mess, but the three hour Directors Cut was a substantial improvement on the Theatrical Version) and The Postman (which I didn't think was a bad film, not as bad as the reviews), which did doom his career as a movie star. I love Goodfellas, great film, and if it had won BP I would not have been disappointed, but I understand why Dances with Wolves won Best Picture.

cathyc...@aol.com

Sep 18, 2013, 7:30:11 AM9/18/13
Rocky over Network was a joke. Argo was a much better flick. Crash is good but plays like a good TV film.
Recently, the ones I think are jokes are Wolves, Braveheart, Beautiful Mind, American Beauty, and gladiator.

News

Sep 18, 2013, 12:07:30 PM9/18/13
"Michael OConnor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message

Dances With Wolves was not one of the worst BP winners ever, off the top of
my head, I would think Argo (while a fine film) will in time be regarded as
one of the very lesser BP film winners; the best film of 2012 probably
should have been Life of Pi. Crash, Gladiator, Ordinary People, Kramer vs.
Kramer are a couple poor choices that come to mind. I think the worst BP
winner of my lifetime was probably Rocky, which won over Network, not to
mention All the Presidents Men and Taxi Driver.

---
Rocky (1976) was merely a live cartoon, although the public loved
it. Network was so much better, and All the President's Men would also have
been a better choice. Sylvestor Stallone was also nominated for (writing)
Best Screenplay, but lost. I didn't bother seeing the violent Taxi Driver.

---

[...]

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule."
--H.L. Mencken

Read more at
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/hlmencke143263.html#u0hle4TW5gZ1IcyS.99

Michael OConnor

Sep 18, 2013, 4:38:55 PM9/18/13

> Recently, the ones I think are jokes are Wolves, Braveheart, Beautiful Mind, American Beauty, and gladiator.

Braveheart is one I missed; I've always felt Apollo 13 should have won BP in 1995. Historical epics tend to win, and while I think Gandhi was a great film and Ben Kingsley certainly deserved the Oscar, Tootsie should have won the Best Picture for 1982.

cathyc...@aol.com

Sep 18, 2013, 5:02:22 PM9/18/13
1982 was a tough year. I remember presenter Carol Burnett saying "there should be a five way tie.

Matthew Kruk

Sep 18, 2013, 6:01:36 PM9/18/13
"Michael OConnor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message
Braveheart ... meh, Mel Gibson, lots of testosterone, blah blah, men in skirts,
sword waving, bravado speaking, etc.

patcoo...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2016, 12:44:10 AM3/11/16
Jimmy Herman was one of the best actors note was among the best actors in the film Dances With Wolves he will be greatly missed he was truly an artisan. I thoroughly enjoyed his acting in the movie and everytime it comes on I watched it. I guess I've seen it about 50 to 60 times. I did have the movie home video but someone stole it from me so I just have to keep watching it on TV. To the family of Jimmy Herman know that your husband father grandfather will be truly missed God bless you all

Sarah Ehrett

Mar 11, 2016, 1:47:06 PM3/11/16
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 21:44:07 -0800 (PST), patcoo...@gmail.com
wrote:

Died: Sep 13, 2013 · Edmonton, Canada

It might be nice to put a link to the death notice/story or at least
tell people this *news* is nearly three years old.