अब Google Groups, यूज़नेट फ़ोरम में नई पोस्ट करने या उसकी सदस्यता लेने की सुविधा नहीं देता है. हालांकि, यूज़नेट फ़ोरम में मौजूद पुराना कॉन्टेंट देखा जा सकता है.

Semi-OT: "The Unvaccinated May Not Be Who You Think"

13 बार देखा गया
नहीं पढ़े गए पहले मैसेज पर जाएं

Lenona

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 अक्तू॰ 2021, 12:34:13 pm16/10/21
ईमेल पाने वाला
This column is REALLY long. Even if you took out the photo, I'd say it would take up one-third of the page at the NYT.

(I was slightly shocked at the details on Fox's Tucker Carlson - but then, I 've never watched him.)

By Ms. Zeynep Tufekci.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/opinion/covid-vaccines-unvaccinated.html

Excerpts:

...The loud, ideological anti-vaxxers exist, and it’s not hard to understand the anger directed at them. All this may make it seem as if almost all the holdouts are conspiracy theorists and anti-science die-hards who think that Covid is a hoax, or that there is nothing we can do to reach more people.

Real-life evidence, what there is, demonstrates that there’s much more to it.

Almost 95 percent of those over 65 in the United States have received at least one dose. This is a remarkable number, given that polling has shown that this age group is prone to online misinformation, is heavily represented among Fox News viewers and is more likely to vote Republican. Clearly, misinformation is not destiny.

Second, reality has refuted dire predictions about how Americans would respond to vaccine mandates. In a poll in September, 72 percent of the unvaccinated said they would quit if forced to be vaccinated for work. There were news articles warning of mass resignations. When large employers, school districts, and hospital systems did finally mandate vaccines, people subject to mandates got vaccinated, overwhelmingly. After United Airlines mandated vaccines, there were only 232 holdouts among 67,000 employees. Among about 10,000 employees in state-operated health care facilities in North Carolina, only 16 were fired for noncompliance.

The remarkable success of vaccine mandates shows it is not firm ideological commitments that have kept everyone from getting vaccinated, and that the stubborn, unpersuadable holdouts may be much smaller than we imagine.

Let’s start with what we do know about the unvaccinated...

...Of course, there are some people who it seems will never be persuaded. One strategy that has been shown to work is to highlight deceptive practices. In campaigns to keep teens from smoking, advertisements pointed out how the tobacco industry manipulated people. For Covid, the unvaccinated could be shown that they have been taken in by people who have misled them even while those people themselves got vaccinated.

Just recently, there was a brief glimpse at how Fox News actually looks behind the camera: Everyone in the office was wearing masks, even as the hosts have often talked about the alleged tyranny of it all. Stars like Tucker Carlson rant against vaccines, even as their network says that more than 90 percent of full-time employees have been vaccinated. Realizing that one may have been conned and manipulated by opportunists who do not practice what they preach may — just may — be the breakthrough for some....
0 नया मैसेज