DEATHWATCH: Yankee Stadium

J.D. Baldwin

Jul 10, 2001, 11:03:44 AM7/10/01

Yikes. I've never seen a game in that stadium. I guess I'd better
take a road trip soon.

http://www.newsday.com/news/daily/stad710.htm

Yankee Stadium A Relic, Rudy Says

by Robert Polner
Staff Writer

New Yorkers need to get over their "romance with Yankee
Stadium and acknowledge that replacing the historic ballpark
could be a wiser investment of public funds than updating it,
Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said yesterday.

Giuliani contended that nostalgia, which he shares, for the
storied days of Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio shouldn't stand in
the way of a new stadium if one becomes necessary. Talks with
both the Yankees and the Mets over the future of their aging
venues are "at a sensitive stage, he said.

A frequent guest in Yankees owner George Steinbrenner's box,
Giuliani indicated his openness to the possibility of
committing public funds toward construction of a new Yankee
Stadium in adjacent Macombs Dam Park.

In the interests of on-topicness, I'll hold my tongue on my general
opinion of using public funds to build stadiums and other private
ventures.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Louis Epstein

Jul 10, 2001, 11:25:45 AM7/10/01
J.D. Baldwin (INVALID...@example.com) wrote:
:
:
: Yikes. I've never seen a game in that stadium. I guess I'd better

: take a road trip soon.

I have seen a Yankee game,but it was at Shea while Yankee
Stadium was being rebuilt in the 1970s.

: http://www.newsday.com/news/daily/stad710.htm

:
: Yankee Stadium A Relic, Rudy Says
:
: by Robert Polner
: Staff Writer
:
: New Yorkers need to get over their "romance with Yankee
: Stadium and acknowledge that replacing the historic ballpark
: could be a wiser investment of public funds than updating it,
: Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said yesterday.
:
: Giuliani contended that nostalgia, which he shares, for the
: storied days of Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio shouldn't stand in
: the way of a new stadium if one becomes necessary. Talks with
: both the Yankees and the Mets over the future of their aging
: venues are "at a sensitive stage, he said.

And it seems that he's talking them in the wrong direction,
if he wants to tear Yankee Stadium down.Fortunately,he will
be gone from office at the end of the year.

: A frequent guest in Yankees owner George Steinbrenner's box,

: Giuliani indicated his openness to the possibility of
: committing public funds toward construction of a new Yankee
: Stadium in adjacent Macombs Dam Park.
:
: In the interests of on-topicness, I'll hold my tongue on my general
: opinion of using public funds to build stadiums and other private
: ventures.

The thing that I hate about modern stadium projects is the
sale of naming rights.You shouldn't have the name of a commercial
enterprise on a stadium/arena unless it is the largest shareholder
in either the facility or a team that plays there.

Matthew Hubbard

Jul 10, 2001, 7:48:10 PM7/10/01
J.D. Baldwin wrote:

> Yikes. I've never seen a game in that stadium. I guess I'd better
> take a road trip soon.
>
> http://www.newsday.com/news/daily/stad710.htm
>
> Yankee Stadium A Relic, Rudy Says
>
> by Robert Polner
> Staff Writer
>
> New Yorkers need to get over their "romance with Yankee
> Stadium and acknowledge that replacing the historic ballpark
> could be a wiser investment of public funds than updating it,
> Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said yesterday.

I think there's a better chance that New Yorkers will get over
their romance with Rudy and replace that living, breathing relic before
they tear down The House That Ruth Built.

Where do you think the end quote goes?
MattH

Erik L.

Jul 10, 2001, 10:35:13 PM7/10/01

>From: Matthew Hubbard mhub...@csuhayward.edu

>ink there's a better chance that New Yorkers will get over
>their romance with Rudy and replace that living, breathing relic before
>they tear down The House That Ruth Built.
>
>Where do you think the end quote goes?
>MattH

Due to term limits, Giuliani will leave office on January 1, 2002.

Erik L.

Bill Schenley

Jul 11, 2001, 2:16:34 AM7/11/01

> Yikes. I've never seen a game in that stadium. I guess I'd better
> take a road trip soon.

Then you should go. This is the best baseball cathedral you could
ever hope to visit.
Even if you are not a Yankee fan, Yankee Stadium is still the apex
of baseball fields.
If you do go, go early and visit Monument Park. Walk all around the
stadium . . . It oozes baseball history.
I've been to Yankee Stadium . . . 250 to 300 times and I still get chills
driving up Jerome Avenue. There is no other park like it.
Also, don't worry about the neighborhood . . . On game night at least,
the area around the stadium is the safest place in America.

Hyfler/Rosner

Jul 11, 2001, 3:03:39 AM7/11/01

"Bill Schenley" <stra...@erie.net> wrote in message

True. And safe most other nights, too.

I've been there a hundred times or so myself. I get chills every time the
#4 train comes out of the tunnel and the stadium comes into view. I passed
it twice a day the three years I went to high school. Now my son will.

Letterman told Giuliani on national television he'd break his legs if he
moved the Yankees out of town. Maybe the threat needs to be revised.