Lynn Evans, 95, lead singer of The Chordettes

Diner

Feb 11, 2020, 6:22:54 PM2/11/20
https://chroniclet.com/news/201619/lynn-evans-mand/
Lynn Evans Mand
Obituaries
Feb 11, 2020 12:00 AM

Lynn Evans Mand (nee Hargate), 95, of Elyria, died Thursday, February 6, 2020. She was born May 2, 1924 in Youngstown, where she was a 1942 graduate of Chaney High School. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1946 with a B.A. in Education and received her Masters Degree in Special Education from Hofstra University in 1969.
For several years she worked as a case worker for the American Red Cross and also the Florence Critttenden Home in Youngstown. From 1952 to 1964, she was the lead singer with the quartet, The Chordettes and produced hits including Mr. Sandman, Lollipop, Eddie My Love, Just Between You and Me and Never On Sunday and were regulars on radio and TV. In 2001, The Chordettes were inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame. Lynn then taught Special Education using her musical talents for 25 years in the Brentwood, Long Island, New York Public School System, retiring in 1989. In 1990, the Chordettes reunited and toured until 1995. Lynn was a member of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, American Association of University Women and the Elyria Musical Arts Society.
Lynn is survived by a son, Robert Evans; daughter, Carolyn Evans; grandchildren, Robert Evans II, Sarah Velasquez, Lisa Rhodes and Hannah Gritman; six great-grandchildren and nieces and nephews including her caregiver, Joan VanWormer.
She was preceded in death by her husbands, Robert B. Evans in 1977 and The Reverend John L. Mand, Jr., in 1999; brothers, The Reverend G. Russel Hargate and The Reverend Arthur W. Hargate and a granddaughter, Carolyn Ruth VanNostrand.
A memorial service will be Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. in St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 300 Third Street, Elyria with The Reverend June Hardy Dorsey officiating, assisted by The Reverend Brian K. Wilbert. Burial will be in Union Cemetery, Niles.
Memorial contributions may be made to Harmony Foundation Intern...@harmonyfoundation.org 866-706-802.
Arrangements are in the care of Dicken Funeral Home & Cremation Service, Elyria.
For online condolences visit dickenfuneralhome.com

That Derek

Feb 11, 2020, 6:45:41 PM2/11/20
Did she go to see Mr. Sandman?

Yeeeeesssss?

Dug

Feb 11, 2020, 6:54:16 PM2/11/20
I'm not sure which rates as their most remembered song but both Lollipop and Mr. Sandman are classics. She's the second from the right I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fty3Nzc-oiY

Diner

Feb 11, 2020, 7:34:43 PM2/11/20
On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 6:54:16 PM UTC-5, Dug wrote:
> I'm not sure which rates as their most remembered song but both Lollipop and Mr. Sandman are classics. She's the second from the right I believe.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fty3Nzc-oiY

She's second from the left. Dick Clark calls them all by their names during the interview segment about three minutes in.

Note that Clark playfully addresses Janet Ertel (far right) as "Mrs. Bleyer." She was married to Archie Bleyer, head of Cadence Records.

Dug

Feb 13, 2020, 1:55:43 AM2/13/20
Yes, second from the left. Love the Mrs. Bleyer bit too. Dick Clark must have known all the music execs.

David Carson

Feb 13, 2020, 9:50:20 AM2/13/20
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 16:34:41 -0800 (PST), Diner <bway...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Whenever I look at audience shots like those, I always think about how
many/most/all of those people are dead now.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

RH Draney

Feb 13, 2020, 1:50:40 PM2/13/20
On 2/13/2020 7:50 AM, David Carson wrote:

> Whenever I look at audience shots like those, I always think about how
> many/most/all of those people are dead now.

I think that's something that applies to everyone, at least here in this
group....r

A Friend

Feb 13, 2020, 4:01:59 PM2/13/20
In article <halk3t...@mid.individual.net>, RH Draney
I feel bad for the pet cats and dogs in old movies.

David Carson

Feb 13, 2020, 11:11:17 PM2/13/20
There's a billboard I have driven by every day for 28 years. It's an ad
for an apartment complex and it has a picture of golden lab on it. It's
never changed in all this time. I spend a lot of my drive time speculating
about how many generations of that dog's descendants have died. The
problem is, I don't know how many years the billboard was up before I
first saw it.

That Derek

Feb 14, 2020, 7:08:08 AM2/14/20
On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 6:22:54 PM UTC-5, Diner wrote:
> https://chroniclet.com/news/201619/lynn-evans-mand/
> Lynn Evans Mand
> Obituaries
> Feb 11, 2020 12:00 AM
>
>> pet cats and dogs in old movies.

Yes, but 1950s celebrity chimpanzee J. Fred Muggs is still off-topic.

Big Mongo

Feb 14, 2020, 1:36:35 PM2/14/20

Larc

Feb 14, 2020, 2:50:51 PM2/14/20
Not the same chimp. The one in the article is only 9. If he's still alive, J. Fred
Muggs is 67 and will be 68 next month.

Larc