Robert Steinau, Pulitzer-winning photographer

Hyfler/Rosner

Jun 30, 2004, 12:01:10 AM6/30/04
Robert Steinau, Pulitzer-winning photographer, dies at 81

DATELINE: LOUISVILLE, Ky.

AP

Retired photographer Robert Steinau, who won a Pulitzer
Prize and shot his 60th consecutive Kentucky Derby last
year, died Sunday. He was 81.

Steinau was a member of the photo staff for The
Courier-Journal and Louisville Times that won journalism's
highest award in 1976 for covering court-ordered busing for
desegregation. It was the first time a photography staff had
been recognized as a team with a Pulitzer.

"The great thing about Bob Steinau was that he could handle
most any assignment, whether it was sports or fashion or
studio work. He could handle it with great creativity and
spirit," said C. Thomas Hardin, a former Courier-Journal
photography editor.

Steinau joined the paper in 1944 and shot a multitude of
assignments, including the Kentucky Derby, Richard Nixon's
visit to Louisville in 1960 and the Beverly Hills Supper
Club fire in 1977 in which 165 people were killed.

Although he retired in November 1982, he continued
freelancing until the end of last year, when he officially
retired from working, said his daughter, Julie Steinau.

Robert Steinau had been ill since February, when he suffered
numerous strokes, Julie Steinau said.

A funeral service is scheduled for noon Thursday at
Resthaven Funeral Home with burial in Resthaven Memorial
Park.

Bill Schenley

Jun 30, 2004, 12:07:15 AM6/30/04
> Robert Steinau, Pulitzer-winning photographer,
> dies at 81 ...

Great photo by Robert Steinau [and on-topic] ...

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2004/04/03ky/gallery_tornado/12.html

Also:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~kyunion/prisoner.htm

Hyfler/Rosner

Jun 30, 2004, 12:20:43 AM6/30/04

"Bill Schenley" <stra...@ma.rr.com> wrote in message

and

http://www.courier-journal.com/ali/gallery/alilamar.html

But I haven't been able to find the photos that won the
Pulitzer for his team at the paper in 1976.

April Cool

Jun 30, 2004, 2:13:46 AM6/30/04
In article <40e23b06$0$23328$61fe...@news.rcn.com>, Hyfler/Rosner
<rel...@rcn.com> wrote:

> Steinau was a member of the photo staff for The
> Courier-Journal and Louisville Times that won journalism's
> highest award in 1976 for covering court-ordered busing for
> desegregation. It was the first time a photography staff had
> been recognized as a team with a Pulitzer.

This is wrong. The staff of the New York Daily News was first, in
1956, "for its consistently excellent news picture coverage in 1955, an
outstanding example of which is its photo, 'Bomber Crashes in Street,'"
according to pulitzer.org.

Hyfler/Rosner

Jun 30, 2004, 8:56:24 AM6/30/04

"April Cool"\\ wrote:

> > Steinau was a member of the photo staff for The
> > Courier-Journal and Louisville Times that won
journalism's
> > highest award in 1976 for covering court-ordered busing
for
> > desegregation. It was the first time a photography staff
had
> > been recognized as a team with a Pulitzer.
>
> This is wrong. The staff of the New York Daily News was
first, in
> 1956, "for its consistently excellent news picture
coverage in 1955, an
> outstanding example of which is its photo, 'Bomber Crashes
in Street,'"
> according to pulitzer.org.

I guess you were trying to find the photos, too. Thanks.