David Libert death, American musician & author passed away at 81 (The Happenings)

Tom Betts

Feb 21, 2024, 9:17:06 AMFeb 21
https://medicotopics.com/david-libert-musician-author-passed-away/

Medico Topics
by Dhaleela
February 21, 2024

David Libert, Founder of The Happenings in the 1960s, passed away leaving the music world in deep sorrow.

As we reflect on his prolific career and indelible contributions to the realm of music, we celebrate the life and legacy of this revered artist who left an indelible mark on the industry.

David Libert passed away:
David Libert, who co-founded the popular 1960s music group The Happenings passed away on February 20, 2024. This sad news was confirmed by his family members via his official social media site. The statement reads,

We are saddened to announce that today the world lost David. He passed away peacefully in his sleep surrounded by people who loved him dearly. His humor and grit will be missed, he was a true Rock and Roll Warrior!

David Libert cause of death:
The “Rock and Roll Warrior” “passed away peacefully in his sleep surrounded by people who loved him dearly,” according to the post. He was 81 years old.

Dennis Dunaway posted a tribute to him on social media post, saying,

Sad to hear about David Libert’s passing. Dave was the tour manager for tghe Billion Dollar Babies Tour in 1973. Here he is with Dolly the Dog and booking agent Jonny Podell.

Who was David Libert?
David Libert was an American music executive, author, and musician who was born on January 20, 1943. He was one of the original members of The Happenings, a US band from Paterson, New Jersey.

Libert founded the Four Graduates in 1961 with his high school classmates Bob Miranda, Tom Giuliano, and Ralph DiVito; they later changed their name to The Happenings.

With their soaring vocals on the cover songs “See You in September” from 1966 and “I Got Rhythm” from 1967, spent 14 weeks at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles charts. These two were among their nine chart-topping hits and were certified Gold by the RIAA, signifying sales of over a million copies.

Later, Libert left the group to work as a booking agent for the Willard Alexander Agency. Following a brief period as Rare Earth’s road manager, Libert took on the role of tour manager for Alice Cooper during the height of Alice’s power (1971–1975).

Libert played a significant role in Bob Greene’s book about assisting Cooper’s band on the 1973 album Billion Dollar Babies tour.

Musical career:
Libert was also credited with singing background vocals on the 1973 album Billion Dollar Babies, recorded at Morgan Studios in London.

After relocating to Los Angeles from New York in 1975, Libert founded the David Libert Agency in 1976, representing George Clinton, Bootsy’s Rubber Band, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, and Parliament/Funkadelic.

Available Entertainment:
Libert and Alan Oken, an entertainment lawyer, founded Available Entertainment in the late 1990s. Later, George Clinton, Parliament/Funkadelic, Brian Auger, Living Colour, Sheila E, Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, Iranian singer, writer, and performer Sussan Deyhim, Skye Issac, The Fabulous Miss Wendy, The Coryell Auger Sample Trio, and Tomi Rae Brown were all represented by Available Entertainment, a personal management company.

Libert also penned hit songs for artists The Tokens, The Chiffons, and Gerry & The Pacemakers. Throughout his career, Libert has promoted numerous events, such as George Clinton’s sold-out performances at Madison Square Garden in New York and Kool and the Gang’s performance at the Cricket Wireless Amphitheater in Kansas City.

In addition to producing Tomi Rae Brown, Attus, Steel Water Blue, and Eric Kellogg’s Imaginary Band on his own, he also co-produced The Happenings album Piece of Mind with fellow Happenings member Bobby Miranda.

Libert recently completed his autobiography, “Rock and Roll Warrior” (ISBN 978-1-68524-435-4), which Sunset Blvd Books published on September 23, 2022.

Tributes to Libert:
Michael Allen posted,

I’m deeply sorry to hear of David’s passing. We got to talk over the phone a couple of times and he gave me some great advice on book writing and publishing . We also got to reminisce about our time with the Alice Cooper Group. He said,”He would like to have been present for the very beginning. That would have been something special.”David I only hope I explained it to your satisfaction.
You will be missed.

Murray Fletcher wrote,

So very sorry to hear this sad news.
I chatted with David a couple of times in regards to his book.
My condolences to family and friends.
May you rest in peace David Libert.

Anita Faragher wrote,

I’m so sorry to hear this! My heart is broken. My deepest sympathies to you all. May you rest in Paradise David

Amy Wohlitz wrote,

My condolences. I have been meaning to pick his book up for some time, just finally ordered a copy. I look forward to reading it in his memory.

Angie Gray posted,

RIP. DL. David Libert, Founding Member of ’60s Group The Happenings, Dies

radioacti...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2024, 3:29:46 PMFeb 21
He had rhythm.

(As did George Gershwin, songsmith of Libert's vocal group's melodic--and most memorable--AM radio hit.)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida