Jo Jo Laine; model & groupie who lost her virginity to Hendrix

Hyfler/Rosner

Nov 4, 2006, 6:32:51 PM11/4/06

Jo Jo Laine

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 04/11/2006 Telegraph

Jo Jo Laine, who died on Sunday aged 53 after falling
down a flight of stairs, led a fast-paced life which bore
witness to the dangers of too much beauty combined with an
almost total lack of self-restraint.

Petite, wide-eyed and with waist-length dark auburn
hair, Jo Jo Laine became famous as a model but notorious as
a groupie who numbered among her conquests some of the most
glamorous icons of the Sixties and Seventies rock scene.

After losing her virginity to Jimi Hendrix, her lovers
included Rod Stewart, Jim Morrison and the Wings (and former
Moody Blues) guitarist Denny Laine, to whom she was briefly
married. After a fling with Randy Rhoads, the Black Sabbath
guitarist, she began a relationship with Peter O'Donohue, a
builder who was jailed in 1988 for 11 years for his part in
a £40 million armed raid on a safety deposit centre in
Knightsbridge. Later she became one of the live-in
"wifelets" of the Marquess of Bath, occupying a cottage on
the Longleat estate. Cream's drummer Ginger Baker was quoted
as saying: "No sane man would go near her."

During her rock chick years, Jo Jo Laine consumed
heroic quantities of drugs and alcohol and remained
seemingly unfazed by the premature deaths of at least two of
her former lovers from drug and alcohol abuse. It was only
when she herself was diagnosed with liver cancer in 2003
that she began to have regrets. "If only I could change my
past," she told an interviewer. "Look what it's done to me."

She was born Joanne LaPatrie in Boston, Massachusetts,
on July 13 1953, but gave herself the name Jo Jo in fan
letters she wrote as a girl to Paul McCartney. Aged 17 she
moved to Los Angeles to work as a professional fashion
model, appearing in television commercials and on the covers
of magazines, including Vogue.

By this time she had already become a fixture on the
rock scene. She met Jimi Hendrix backstage at the Woodstock
Festival in 1969. "Those were wild times," she recalled.
"Everyone was tripping. I was introduced to him in his
dressing room and then he shooed everyone out and locked the
door and we started kissing. He started singing Foxy Lady
and then we made love."

The perfunctory nature of their courtship established
a pattern from which Jo Jo Laine rarely deviated. She spent
a "crazy night" with Jim Morrison (of the Doors) who was, by
her account, "already out of it and on a bottle of whisky a
day". She dated Rod Stewart, "virtually my first love", on
and off for two years, later recalling: "He may not have
been the best lover, but he was the best kisser. He never
seemed bothered that I wasn't blonde."

She met Denny Laine backstage at a gig in 1972, and
within two days they were an item. "It was the ultimate
groupie's dream," she recalled. They had a son and a
daughter, and she accompanied Wings on tour, though she
recalled that Linda McCartney was not happy with her
presence on the tour bus, fearing she was trying to steal
her husband. She and Laine married in 1978 and bought Yew
Corner in Sussex, the innocent inspiration for AA Milne's
House at Pooh Corner, which subsequently became notorious
for Jo Jo Laine's wild parties.

In 1978 Jo Jo Laine's brother, a heavy drug-user and
schizophrenic, shot their father at the home they shared in
Florida after a row about his drug taking. Her father
survived, but remained paralysed for more than a year before
dying in 1980.

The tragedy put a strain on Jo Jo Laine's marriage:
Denny began having an affair with her best friend, and Jo Jo
took to drink and antidepressants, filed for divorce and
embarked on an affair with Randy Rhoads which ended with his
death in a plane crash six months later.

By now drinking heavily, she began an affair with
Peter O'Donohue, with whom she had another child before the
relationship broke down amid violent rows. In 1991 she met
Alexander Thynn, the Marquess of Bath, at an art exhibition.

Within weeks she and her children had moved into a
cottage on his estate. During her Longleat period (which
ended in 1996, when she moved back to London), she was
photographed in Playboy cavorting naked on a tiger skin - at
a photosession attended, bizarrely, by the Tory MP Sir
Antony Buck and his then wife, Bienvenida.

During her rock chick years, Jo Jo Laine performed as
a backing singer with several bands and for a time even had
her own band, called Jo Jo Laine & The Firm.

In the 1980s she teamed up with the Rolling Stones'
producer Jimmy Miller to record a cover version of the Gerry
Goffin and Carole King classic I'm Into Something Good.
Later she performed with her children in the No Name band at
a London nightclub, the Playroom.

Her worsening health failed to dampen Jo Jo Laine's
enthusiasm for partying. In 2003 she stunned partygoers
attending a book launch in the Cabinet War Rooms by
embarking on a "sex romp" with the transsexual performer
Sasha de Suinn. Jo Jo was unrepentant about the incident,
though she confessed: "I can't believe he was a she."

Jo Jo Laine is survived by a daughter and two sons.

Ponty

Nov 4, 2006, 7:32:28 PM11/4/06
Very cool obit! Thanks.

agrg...@portup.com

Nov 4, 2006, 7:37:13 PM11/4/06

If this woman doesn't have a biography, someone should write one.
Her obit reads like a Jackie Collins novel.

AJG

danny burstein

Nov 4, 2006, 7:49:34 PM11/4/06
[ snip ]

whacky-parsed as "Jack la-Laine ", which certainly
changed the images in the story...

dan...@panix.com

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 4, 2006, 8:25:24 PM11/4/06

In the previous article, Hyfler/Rosner <rel...@rcn.com> wrote:
> [...] She dated Rod Stewart, "virtually my first love", on
> and off for two years, later recalling: "He may not have
> been the best lover, but he was the best kisser. He never
> seemed bothered that I wasn't blonde."

Tchah. Who needs blondes when you can have a girl with long auburn
hair?
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Matthew Kruk

Nov 4, 2006, 8:50:45 PM11/4/06
Picture of Jo Jo with ex Denny:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=413514&in_page_id=1770

"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Matthew Kruk

Nov 4, 2006, 9:02:06 PM11/4/06
"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> She was born Joanne LaPatrie in Boston, Massachusetts, on July 13 1953,
> but gave herself the name Jo Jo in fan letters she wrote as a girl to Paul
> McCartney...

Hmm, get back?

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner
But he knew it wouldn't last.
Jojo left his home in tucson, arizona
For some california grass

Nah.

Cisco

Nov 4, 2006, 9:03:03 PM11/4/06
in article Vrb3h.86659$E67.3867@clgrps13, Matthew Kruk at
Matthe...@Telus.net wrote on 11/4/06 7:50 PM:

Whoa! She named her son with Deny "Laine Laine" ??

"She and her husband went on to have two children, Laine and Heidi, before
marrying in 1978. However she filed for divorce after discovering he had
been having a fling with her best friend. "

King Daevid MacKenzie

Nov 4, 2006, 9:23:00 PM11/4/06
Matthew Kruk quotes "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> 'n sez:

>> She was born Joanne LaPatrie in Boston, Massachusetts, on July 13 1953,
>> but gave herself the name Jo Jo in fan letters she wrote as a girl to Paul
>> McCartney...
>
> Hmm, get back?
>
> Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner
> But he knew it wouldn't last.
> Jojo left his home in tucson, arizona
> For some california grass
>
> Nah.

...the latest theory I've heard is that the "JoJo" of the song "Get
Back" was the owner of JoJo's, a popular Tucson bar when Linda Eastman
went to college there. It's new to me, anyway...

--
King Daevid MacKenzie, WLSU-FM 88.9 La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.myspace.com/kingdaevid

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Kenny McCormack

Nov 4, 2006, 9:41:09 PM11/4/06
In article <1162687033....@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
<agrg...@portup.com> wrote:

>If this woman doesn't have a biography, someone should write one.
>Her obit reads like a Jackie Collins novel.

Somehow, I am reminded of the Tom Lehrer song "Alma".

MGW

Nov 4, 2006, 10:07:04 PM11/4/06
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 02:41:09 +0000 (UTC), gaz...@xmission.xmission.com
(Kenny McCormack) scrawled:

ROTFL! I'd forgotten that one, but it fits beautifully!

--
MGW
Statistics means never having to say you're certain.

(Note: my Hotmail address is seldom checked)

Matthew Kruk

Nov 4, 2006, 10:31:19 PM11/4/06

"TJ-BF" <r...@att.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Matthew Kruk" <Matthe...@Telus.net> wrote in message
> Not unless Jo Jo had a sex-change operation!

That's the next set:

Sweet Loretta Martin thought she was a woman
But she was another man
All the girls around her say she's got it coming
But she gets it while she can

Cisco

Nov 4, 2006, 10:43:53 PM11/4/06
in article bWc3h.43580$P7.512@edtnps89, Matthew Kruk at
Matthe...@Telus.net wrote on 11/4/06 9:31 PM:

When did *anything* Paul wrote after 1966 make any sense anyway? They're
all rhymes with nonsensical lyrics.

Cisco

Nov 4, 2006, 10:45:24 PM11/4/06
in article C172BA19.F1B5%mortall...@gmail.com, Cisco at
mortall...@gmail.com wrote on 11/4/06 9:43 PM:

I refer you to "Junior's Farm" for beginners, and anything in which he
included the retarded "Sailor Sam".

arf@flipflop.com Apairateef

Nov 4, 2006, 11:29:17 PM11/4/06

"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> Jo Jo Laine
>
> Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 04/11/2006 Telegraph
>

> Jo Jo Laine, who died on Sunday aged 53 after falling down a flight
> of stairs, led a fast-paced life which bore witness to the dangers of too
> much beauty combined with an almost total lack of self-restraint.
>
> Petite, wide-eyed and with waist-length dark auburn hair, Jo Jo Laine
> became famous as a model but notorious as a groupie who numbered among her
> conquests some of the most glamorous icons of the Sixties and Seventies
> rock scene.
>
> After losing her virginity to Jimi Hendrix, her lovers included Rod
> Stewart, Jim Morrison and the Wings (and former Moody Blues) guitarist
> Denny Laine, to whom she was briefly married. After a fling with Randy
> Rhoads, the Black Sabbath guitarist, she began a relationship with Peter
> O'Donohue, a builder who was jailed in 1988 for 11 years for his part in a
> £40 million armed raid on a safety deposit centre in Knightsbridge. Later
> she became one of the live-in "wifelets" of the Marquess of Bath,
> occupying a cottage on the Longleat estate. Cream's drummer Ginger Baker
> was quoted as saying: "No sane man would go near her."

LMFAO! Sorry...reminds me a bit of 'pass the parcel'

--
Cheers,

Sarndra, Christchurch, New Zealand
www.angelfire.com/ok/nzfamily

This is my country,
The land that begat me,
These windy spaces
Are surely my own.
And those who toil here
In the sweat of their faces
Are flesh of my flesh
And bone of my bone.

Sir Alexander Gray

Hoodini

Nov 5, 2006, 12:42:02 AM11/5/06
Hyfler/Rosner said the following:

> During her rock chick years, Jo Jo Laine consumed
> heroic quantities of drugs and alcohol

Although "heroic" is not an incorrect word in this case, using it to
describe chemical abuse might lead some folks to misconstrue the
activity as being 'courageous', which it certainly is not.

> In 1978 Jo Jo Laine's brother, a heavy drug-user and
> schizophrenic, shot their father at the home they shared in
> Florida after a row about his drug taking. Her father
> survived, but remained paralysed for more than a year before
> dying in 1980.
>
> The tragedy put a strain on Jo Jo Laine's marriage:
> Denny began having an affair with her best friend,

Were her father's death and Denny's infidelity related? Seems like a
stretch to imply that they were.

> During her rock chick years, Jo Jo Laine performed as
> a backing singer with several bands and for a time even had
> her own band, called Jo Jo Laine & The Firm.

Did her brother use _Jo Jo('s) gun(n)_ to kill their father?

--
Flat Mouth never met George W. Bush...

"Tell him I blame him for the children we have lost, for the sickness
we have suffered, and for the hunger we have endured. The fault rests
on his shoulders."
~ Aysh-ke-bah-ke-ko-zhay (Flat Mouth), Leech Lake Ojibwe speaking of
Territorial Governor Alexander Ramsey

Bill Schenley

Nov 5, 2006, 1:07:37 AM11/5/06

Brad Ferguson

Nov 5, 2006, 11:51:23 AM11/5/06
In article <t9lqk2511um6tnpc0...@4ax.com>, MGW
<mgw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 02:41:09 +0000 (UTC), gaz...@xmission.xmission.com
> (Kenny McCormack) scrawled:
>
> > In article <1162687033....@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> > <agrg...@portup.com> wrote:
> > >If this woman doesn't have a biography, someone should write one.
> > >Her obit reads like a Jackie Collins novel.
> >
> > Somehow, I am reminded of the Tom Lehrer song "Alma".
>
> ROTFL! I'd forgotten that one, but it fits beautifully!

You're not kidding.

Jo Jo, tell us
All modern groupies are jealous
Though you drank and used drugs by the load
You got Jimi and Denny and Rhoads.

Jane Margaret Laight

Nov 5, 2006, 12:52:31 PM11/5/06

Denny's real name was Brian Hines, and it doesn't appear that he ever
changed it legally to Denny Laine, as an article on Denny & Jo Jo's
daughter refers to her as "Heidi Hines"--check out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=414562&in_page_id=1879

JML

Kenny McCormack

Nov 5, 2006, 5:27:52 PM11/5/06
In article <051120061151233646%thir...@frXOXed.net>,

Ha Ha!! Very good.

abby now

Nov 6, 2006, 9:35:03 AM11/6/06

<agrg...@portup.com> wrote in message

>If this woman doesn't have a biography, someone should write one.
>Her obit reads like a Jackie Collins novel.

Famous Groupies by Paul McCartney:

"Those Magnificent Examples Of Female Pulchritude And Luminosity, Direct
From Their Global Perambulations To The Very Boards Of This Supremely
Magnificent Proscenium Arch - Ladies And Gentlemen; I Give You Famous
Groupies! "

All Stand Back, Let The People See
Take A Snap Of The Famous Groupies For Me

Behold The Famous Groupies
They Are Alike As Two Peas
And Where The Other Goes, The Other Goes
But Though The Famous Groupies
Are Only Paid In Rupies
Nobody Knows What The Famous Groupies Know
And Nobody Goes Where The Famous Groupies Go

There Was A Bango Player
Who Kept An Extra Layer
Of Dunlopillo Mattress In His Van
But When The Famous Groupies
Arived With Their Twin Snoopies
Nobody Saw Which Way The Poor Boy Ran
Nobody Does It Like A Famous Groupie Can

All Stand Back, Let The People See
Take A Snap Of The Famous Groupies For Me

There Was A Lead Guitarist
Who Lived In Epping Forest
And All He Ever Wanted Was To Blow
When The Girls Were With Him
He Never Lost His Rhythm
And Nobody Knows What The Famous Groupies Know
Nobody Goes Where The Famous Groupies Go

There Was A Classic Story
Of A Roadic Nicknamed Rory
Who Used To Practice Voodoo On The Side
When The Famous Twosome
Suggested Something Gruesome
All That They Found Was A Crater Two Miles Wide
Which Left The Music Business Absolutely Horrified

Louis Epstein

Dec 15, 2006, 6:47:28 PM12/15/06
Hyfler/Rosner <rel...@rcn.com> wrote:
:
: Jo Jo Laine

:
[...]

Are sexually generous young beauties ALWAYS substance-abusers?

: seemingly unfazed by the premature deaths of at least two of

As that marriage collapsed,Bienvenida Buck cost the Chief of the Defence
Staff (Marshal of the RAF Sir Peter Harding) his job through having an
affair with him.

[...]

-=-=-

BigSamMcClain

Dec 15, 2006, 6:49:20 PM12/15/06
in article L7GdnVisRY2NqR7Y...@velocitywest.net, Louis Epstein
at l...@main.put.com wrote on 12/15/06 5:47 PM:

Geez, a good hard-on is taller than Hendrix was.