Judith Vigna, 83, in June 2019 (UK-born writer/illustrator: "Nobody Wants a Nuclear War," 1986)

Lenona

Mar 29, 2023, 1:26:46 PM3/29/23
I could be making a terrible mistake, but according to livingordead.com, she died on June 24th, 2019. (Most mistaken tiny death notices don't get that specific.)

Please let me know if that site was wrong. (As it happens, Radaris also implies she died, though it does not have a date. See below.)

https://radaris.com/p/Judith/Vigna/

You have to scroll to the bottom.

What I posted in 2016:

Her surname is pronounced Veen-ya.

A former journalist, she was born in Gedney, England, came to the U.S. in 1958, lived in Pennsylvania and now apparently lives in Little Neck, New York.

She won the Jane Addams Children's Book Award in 1987 for "Nobody Wants a Nuclear War."

From "Contemporary Authors":
"My goal in putting together a picture book is to approach common childhood problems such as a new baby or loss of a precious possession, with a humorous touch that can help a child over a painful experience. Most of the situations in my books are dug up from my own childhood -remembering uncomfortable feelings, minor calamities (that seemed major at the time!)--or overwhelming joy. In trying to keep in touch with a child's feelings, I find it helpful to remember that many emotions we experience as adults are enormously intensified in children. Always acknowledging the marvelous sense of humor children have, I try to combine these emotions with a bit of fun and whimsy."

https://2warpstoneptune.com/2016/03/01/nobody-wants-a-nuclear-war-by-judith-vigna-albert-whitman-co-1986/
(about "Nobody Wants a Nuclear War")

http://www.sweet-juniper.com/2009/03/another-selection-from-our-collection.html
(negative perspective on "I Wish Daddy Didn't Drink So Much")

http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2000/mar/26/life1.lifemagazine1
(from 2000, about Vigna's "My Big Sister Takes Drugs" and other "problem" books)

https://www.google.com/search?q=judith+vigna&biw=1280&bih=563&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiUgODvnq_MAhXLVD4KHRPuCTsQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=_
(book covers)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/search/books/?q=judith%20vigna&sf=t
(three Kirkus reviews)

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/authorpage/judith-vigna.html
(two PW reviews, including one for Black Like Kyra, White Like Me)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/78180.Judith_Vigna
(reader reviews)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22judith+vigna%22&biw=1366&bih=649&tbm=vid&ei=bG0kZIb1PP2r5NoPtLOGuAs&ved=0ahUKEwiG29G1zYH-AhX9FVkFHbSZAbcQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq=%22judith+vigna%22&gs_lcp=Cg1nd3Mtd2l6LXZpZGVvEAMyBggAEAcQHjIECAAQHjoFCCEQoAE6BggAEBYQHlCTCFiWHGCgHmgAcAB4AIAB3gGIAeoDkgEFMC4yLjGYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz-video
(read-alouds on video)

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:
JUVENILE; SELF-ILLUSTRATED

Gregory's Stitches, Albert Whitman (Niles, IL), 1974.
The Little Boy Who Loved Dirt and Almost Became a Superslob, Albert Whitman, 1975.
Couldn't We Have a Turtle Instead?, Albert Whitman, 1975.
Everyone Goes as a Pumpkin, Albert Whitman, 1977.
Anyhow, I'm Glad I Tried, Albert Whitman, 1978.
The Hiding House, Albert Whitman, 1979.

She's Not My Real Mother, Albert Whitman, 1980.
Daddy's New Baby, Albert Whitman, 1982.
Grandma Without Me, Albert Whitman, 1984.
Nobody Wants a Nuclear War, Albert Whitman, 1986.
Mommy and Me by Ourselves Again, Albert Whitman, 1987.
I Wish Daddy Didn't Drink So Much, Albert Whitman, 1988.
Boot Weather, Albert Whitman, 1989.

My Big Sister Takes Drugs, Albert Whitman, 1990.
Saying Goodbye to Daddy, Albert Whitman, 1991.
Black Like Kyra, White Like Me, Albert Whitman, 1992.
When Eric's Mom Fought Cancer, Albert Whitman, 1993.
Uncle Alfredo's Zoo, Albert Whitman, 1994.
My Two Uncles, Albert Whitman, 1995.
I Live with Daddy, Albert Whitman, 1997.