Jean Vander Pyl (Wilma Flinstone) - UPI

Matthew Kruk

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
DANA POINT, Calif., April 13 (UPI) -- The woman who gave voice
to Wilma Flintstone on the 1960s cartoon show ``The Flintstones'' has
died. Jean Vander Pyl was 79 years old.
Vander Pyl was the last of the original cast of the
Flintstones, a self-proclaimed ``modern stone-age family.'' The
animated show ran in prime time from 1960 to 1966. The original
episodes have run in syndication ever since.
Vander Pyl, who also was the voice of Rosie the Robot and Mrs.
Spaceley on ``The Jetsons,'' died of lung cancer. The Orange County
Register newspaper quotes her son, Michael O'Mera, as saying she
wanted to do a television commercial as Wilma warning children not to
start smoking.
``Everybody on the Flintstones smoked and all of them ended up
dying of smoking related diseases,'' O'Mera said.

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
In article <37141738...@netcom.ca>, Matthew Kruk <mk...@netcom.ca> sez:

¢¢ DANA POINT, Calif., April 13 (UPI) -- The woman who gave voice

...major irony: "The Flintstones" was sponsored by Winston cigarettes (I
have a videotape of one of the ads featuring the Flintstones and Rubbles
lighting up and singing the "Winstons taste good like a cigarette should"
jingle)...

--
King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock! (opinions expressed solely his)
heard on WSBC/WCFJ Chicago-WAUK/WAUX Milwaukee-WSUW Whitewater

Matthew Kruk

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
"King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!" wrote:

Some other stuff from the AP report:

``She was an anonymous celebrity,'' O'Meara said. ``You could
go out with her and nobody would recognize her.
``All she'd have to do was go `Fr-ed!' and people would say:
`Wilma Flintstone! I grew up with you!' She'd light up the room,'' her
son said.
Ms. Vander Pyl also voiced Rosie the Robot and Mrs. Spacely on
``The Jetsons'' -- until she became too ill about six months ago. She
also made an appearance in Steven Spielberg's 1994 live-action movie
based on the series.

---

In the movie, she played Mrs. Feldspar. While looking this up in
IMDB, I note that Halle Berry played "Sharon Stone".

Brad Ferguson

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
In article <ultimajock-13...@pm3-ppp233.genevaonline.com> ,
ultim...@england.com (King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!) wrote:

> In article <37141738...@netcom.ca>, Matthew Kruk <mk...@netcom.ca> sez:
>
> ¢¢ DANA POINT, Calif., April 13 (UPI) -- The woman who gave voice
> ¢¢ to Wilma Flintstone on the 1960s cartoon show ``The Flintstones'' has
> ¢¢ died. Jean Vander Pyl was 79 years old.
> ¢¢ Vander Pyl was the last of the original cast of the
> ¢¢ Flintstones, a self-proclaimed ``modern stone-age family.'' The
> ¢¢ animated show ran in prime time from 1960 to 1966. The original
> ¢¢ episodes have run in syndication ever since.
> ¢¢ Vander Pyl, who also was the voice of Rosie the Robot and Mrs.
> ¢¢ Spaceley on ``The Jetsons,'' died of lung cancer. The Orange County
> ¢¢ Register newspaper quotes her son, Michael O'Mera, as saying she
> ¢¢ wanted to do a television commercial as Wilma warning children not to
> ¢¢ start smoking.
> ¢¢ ``Everybody on the Flintstones smoked and all of them ended up
> ¢¢ dying of smoking related diseases,'' O'Mera said.
>
> ...major irony: "The Flintstones" was sponsored by Winston cigarettes (I
> have a videotape of one of the ads featuring the Flintstones and Rubbles
> lighting up and singing the "Winstons taste good like a cigarette should"
> jingle)...

I can guarantee that you're not making that up, as bizarre as it sounds. I
have a copy of it, too. (Fred used a little stone Zippo-ish lighter that
scratched two sticks together, IIRC.)

---
Stop by http://www.fred.net/thirteen
---
Remove XOX from eddress for email

Brad Ferguson

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
In article <37143F2A...@netcom.ca> , Matthew Kruk <mk...@netcom.ca>
wrote:

I didn't see the movie, but I read somewhere that, although the name "Sharon
Stone" was used in the script and even in the previews, it was changed to
Rosetta Stone in the film itself.

Too bad; I thought the "Sharon Stone" thing was a stroke of genius. Even
better than Stony Curtis.