Sandy Wood, The Voice of StarDate has died.

Tom Betts

Feb 17, 2024, 2:08:35 PMFeb 17
https://www.wrti.org/wrti-spotlight/2019-07-15/sad-news-about-sandy-wood-the-voice-of-stardate-on-wrti

Sandy Wood, the voice of StarDate, has suffered an illness that has prevented her from recording the second half of July programs for the beloved feature on WRTI and countless public radio stations across the country. After much consideration, Sandy has decided to retire from the program and focus on her health. July 16th will be her last show.

Sandy’s first broadcast aired September 16, 1991, and she recorded a total of 10,166 episodes for StarDate. She took over from original announcer Joel Block after the program’s first dozen years.

"While Sandy will never be replaced in our hearts," says StarDate management, "the show will continue to go on." Starting July 17th, public radio voiceover veteran Billy Henry will begin voicing the StarDate program. If you have any thoughts, prayers, or messages you would like to send to Sandy Wood, please send an email to: casey...@astro.as.utexas.edu

Diner

Feb 17, 2024, 5:50:21 PMFeb 17
On Saturday, February 17, 2024 at 2:08:35 PM UTC-5, Tom Betts wrote:
> https://www.wrti.org/wrti-spotlight/2019-07-15/sad-news-about-sandy-wood-the-voice-of-stardate-on-wrti
>
> Sandy Wood, the voice of StarDate, has suffered an illness that has prevented her from recording the second half of July programs for the beloved feature on WRTI and countless public radio stations across the country. After much consideration, Sandy has decided to retire from the program and focus on her health. July 16th will be her last show.

Um... why is your message titled "Sandy Wood, The Voice of StarDate has died" when the article specifically says that she has NOT died, that she has merely retired??
I am truly confused.

radioacti...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2024, 12:15:14 AMFeb 19
Meanwhile, I wonder if the retired-but-not-at-all-late familiar FM voice Sandy Wood during her long career ever devoted a segment to exposing those Name-a-Star-After-Someone! hucksters, that scam for which commercial newstalk radio accepts ads every holiday season.

(The fee-based operation is dishonest because the name they assign to some Milky Way star is not picked up by any astronomer anywhere, but rather merely rostered in a ledger book the company gets copyrighted, and then is forgotten.)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida

danny burstein

Feb 19, 2024, 12:20:39 AMFeb 19
In <4b761617-79d6-4a66...@googlegroups.com> "radioacti...@gmail.com" <radioacti...@gmail.com> writes:

>Meanwhile, I wonder if the retired-but-not-at-all-late familiar FM voice Sa=
>ndy Wood during her long career ever devoted a segment to exposing those Na=
>me-a-Star-After-Someone! hucksters, that scam for which commercial newstalk=
> radio accepts ads every holiday season.

Is that still a thing? I last heard one of those adverts
quite a few years ago.

Thanks as always

dan...@panix.com

radioacti...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2024, 2:45:20 AMFeb 19
While I haven't heard any Name-a-Star! ads the last couple Yuletide seasons, I do believe I heard them about three years ago.

It's always been frustrating how commercial newstalk radio is so reliant on marginal--to put it politely--advertisers. The biggies--the automakers, the Nabiscos, the Proctor & Gambles out there, tend avoid talk radio. (And I suspect it has little or nothing to do with the conservative taint of the genre.)

Meanwhile, if that Relief Factor juggernaut ends up in the red, AM talk radio may finally go under for good.

STYBLE/Florida