Dr. Petter Lindstrom, 93, Ingrid Bergman's ex-husband

Fata Morgana

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Dr. Petter Lindstrom, a neurosurgeon who was abandoned by wife Ingrid
Bergman in a high-profile affair a half-century ago, died in his Sonoma, Calif., home. He
was 93.

Lindstrom, who died May 24, was married to Bergman for 10 years, moving with her from
Sweden to the United States when her acting career took off here in the late '30s and
early '40s.

Bergman began an affair with Italian director Roberto Rossellini in 1948, leaving her
husband and their daughter, Pia, to live with Rossellini in Italy. She bore him a son,
Roberto.

The love triangle and out-of-wedlock birth shocked Bergman fans who were used to seeing
the screen idol playing nuns and martyrs. The U.S. Senate even denounced the affair from
the floor.

She divorced Lindstrom in 1950 to marry Rossellini, and their eight-year marriage produced
two more children, Ingrid and Isabella. Isabella Rossellini became a noted actress in her
own right. Bergman died in 1982.

Lindstrom remained bitter about Bergman's abandonment and helped biographer Laurence
Leamer portray her as a promiscuous woman more concerned about her acting than her
children in the 1986 book ``As Time Goes By, The Life of Ingrid Bergman.''

He was a dentist and eight years older than Bergman when they married in Stockholm. After
joining his wife in Hollywood, he switched from dentistry to brain surgery and became a
U.S. citizen.

Lindstrom later taught neurosurgery at the University of California, Los Angeles. He held
a practice in San Francisco from 1964 until 1978 before relocating to San Diego.

He is survived by his wife, Dr. Agnes Ronavec; daughter, Pia, of New York City; four
children with Ronavec; and eight grandchildren.

Cheers,

Fata Morgana

Terrymelin

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Who would have ever thought that the last member of the trio in this famous
scandal was still alive? And he outlived his ex-wife by almost 18 years and
Rosselini by what 20 or more?

Terry Ellsworth

Brad Ferguson

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
In article <20000531182600...@ng-mf1.aol.com>, Terrymelin
<terry...@aol.com> wrote:

Pia Lindstrom was the theater critic for Channel 4 in NYC for many
years. She had to review one of her mother's stage performances once,
and there was no sense, no whiff of any resentment by her toward
Bergman. Instead, Lindstrom talked happily about how proud she was of
her.

Maybe her dad held a grudge against Bergman (understandable), but I
think any implication that the adult Pia felt the same way is at least
open to question. (The teenaged Pia's testimony against her mother at
the divorce trial was devastating.)

It's funny how the nature of scandal changes from decade to decade,
though. Look at what we do for scandal now: There's that thing about
Angelina Jolie and her brother, and there might not even be anything to
it. Pretty blah.

Message has been deleted

Phoebe9294

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
>Who would have ever thought that the last member of the trio in this famous
>scandal was still alive? And he outlived his ex-wife by almost 18 years and
>Rosselini by what 20 or more?

23. Rossellini died in 1977.

MadCow57

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
>>> . . . He switched from dentistry to brain surgery . . . .<<

>>!
??<<

Not a big deal, provided you have an MD. Same skills - working on tiny things.

Terrymelin

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
From the already married Brad:

>Pia Lindstrom was the theater critic for Channel 4 in NYC for many
>years. She had to review one of her mother's stage performances once,
>and there was no sense, no whiff of any resentment by her toward
>Bergman.

I remember the moving occasion when just a few weeks after her death Ingrid
Bergman's performance as Golda Meir in "A Woman Called Golda" was awarded an
Emmy for Best Actress. Pia Lindstrom accepted the award and the audience rose
spontaneously in her memory. Lindstrom gave a moving and heartfelt speech. A
great TV moment.

Terry Ellsworth

Matthew Kruk

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00

Better, sharper instruments. ;-)

mack

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00

"Matthew Kruk" <mk...@netcom.ca> wrote in message
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And the fees are MUCH bigger! Oh, and it's Peter, not Petter.

merli...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2015, 8:14:18 AM8/31/15
Woman's Infidelity is in any era or society a grave offense
On Wednesday, May 31, 2000 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Brad Ferguson wrote:

« It's funny how the nature of scandal changes from decade to decade, though. Look at what we do for scandal now: There's that thing about Angelina Jolie and her brother, and there might not even be anything to it. Pretty blah. »

What changed is NOT "the nature" of scandal, which actually remains unchanged forever, but its image built and constantly altered by the medias. Ingrid Bergman and her husband, as most people in these circles, were living a dangerous life since constantly living far from each other, e.g. one in L.A., the other in Italy. When Rosselini courted Ingrid, she fell: this is the fault. The laws, the media buzz, the publicly imposed opinions, may change, but some things don't, even if it gets actually forbidden to say or write or recall them; one is that a man loves a woman, very dearly, she belongs to him, so she must NOT give herself to another one (which she is armed to resist because the woman's instinct does NOT pull her, as men, toward affairs); if she does, this is felt, by everyone, even stronger by women than by men, as a very grave offense, no matter the woman's status (ordinary wife, actress, queen, loved or hated by the public opinion, or whatever). Then when she (Ingrid) got pregnant it got even worse and she had no solution but to divorce. If such thing happened today, the *regular* people would have the same reaction.

The kiss between Angelina Jolie and her brother is so instant, temporary, different, that it is actually unrelated.

I am pretty sure that if a big actress, happily married with a loving husband and a lovely daughter, suddenly had an affair with another man, got pregnant and abandoned husband and daughter, she would get the same blame *from regular citizens* in 2015 than in 1950 or 1800 or in the Bible era. The only change would be how the story is recounted and presented by the official medias.

Versailles, Mon 31 Aug 2015 14:14:15 +0200

spar...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2017, 11:25:15 AM9/13/17
It is true. Irrespective of the times, the reaction of those affected and the sensitive is the same. Only the onlookers have become more callous. If it happened today, one would say - To hell with Rosellini or Ingrid Bergman or Petter Lindstrom. From all the Biographies on Ingrid Bergman, particularly by Joe Steele, Alan Burgess and Laurence Leamer, it seems that she was bitter about Petter Lindstom for not divorcing her quickly enabling her to marry Rosellini. However, it is ironic that she had already got pregnant in April,1949 when her husband met her in Messina, Italy asking her to return and tell their child about their separation herself, to which she agreed and later refused to return. She agreed in her autobiography later that all the drama and scandal could have been avoided if she had met with her husband. Her relationship with Rosellini did not last, as it was evidently linked to their artistic attraction mistaken for divine love. Her 3rd marriage to Lars Schmidt was also a relationship based on convenience destined to fail. It would seem that if she had remained with her 1st husband or remained alone after divorcing him, she could have attained more for herself in the show business and her contentment lay in work, not in family life, to this she herself agreed. She was never a free woman as many think, always passing from one man to another and they would control her affairs, till her death. My impression is that she was a lost soul, always discontent, driven for her self fulfilment unmindful of others. Otherwise she would not have chosen a scandalous path but resorted to a dignified one. Once, her lover Bob Caps warned her that success is more corrupting than misfortune, looking at the drive she had to make herself an institution. Petter Lindstrom appears to have been silent all along, only telling his side of the story to Alan Burgess 30 yrs later who deceived him by editing his version along with Ingrid Bergman thereby forcing the Dr. to withdraw his part of the story. Later, some parts of the version given by Lindstrom was published in the biography by Laurence Leamer.