Julie Anne Peters, 71, whose Young-Adult books caused a stir

Michael Rhodes

Mar 29, 2023, 8:07:47 PM3/29/23
Julie Anne Peters, whose 2004 book, “Luna,” is thought to have been the first young-adult novel with a transgender character to be released by a mainstream publisher, and whose books have been among those singled out by conservative groups in Texas and other states for removal from library shelves, died on March 21 2023 at her home in Wheat Ridge, Colo. She was 71.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/books/julie-anne-peters-dead.html

Lenona

Mar 30, 2023, 9:41:37 AM3/30/23
She had at least three entries in the "Something About the Author" encyclopedias. (My volume with an index, 207, is from 2010, so for all I know, there's a fourth entry somewhere after that year.) The first entry was in the mid-1990s.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/julie-anne-peters/
(14 Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/52989.Julie_Anne_Peters
(reader reviews)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22julie+anne+peters%22&rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS1051&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7jK2L44P-AhVhjIkEHWkRCxQQ0pQJegQIBRAI&biw=1366&bih=649&dpr=1
(videos)

Louis Epstein

Mar 30, 2023, 2:33:52 PM3/30/23
Michael Rhodes <mig73alle...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Julie Anne Peters, whose 2004 book, ?Luna,? is thought to have been the
> first young-adult novel with a transgender character to be released by a
> mainstream publisher, and whose books have been among those singled out by
> conservative groups in Texas and other states for removal from library
> shelves, died on March 21 2023 at her home in Wheat Ridge, Colo. She was 71.

If the transgender identification is not presented as a disorder
better suppressed than indulged,a case can be made that the book
is harmful.A lot depends on context.

> https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/books/julie-anne-peters-dead.html

-=-=-