H.S.H. Prince Alexander Croy, (1912-2002)

Michael Rhodes

May 9, 2002, 6:09:16 AM5/9/02
His Serene Highness Prince Alexander Georg Maria Ignatius Croy died 3
May, 2002, aged 89.

Prince Alexander was born at Konigsfeld, 27 November, 1912, the
younger son of Prince Alexander Maria August Stephan Clemens Croy.

See Croy genealogy here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://genroy.free.fr/croy.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dprince%2Balexander%2Bcroy%2Bwinch%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff

He married firstly, at London, 17 February, 1938 (div. 1968), Anne
Elspeth, (b. 16 August, 1917, died at Munich, 27 May, 1986), only
child of Brigadier-General William Maclaren Campbell, CBE, MVO, The
Black Watch, (1864-1924), by his wife, Dorothy Clotilda, widow of Col.
Frank Shuttleworth, DL, JP, & daughter of the Rev. Robert Lang, MA,
Vicar of Old Warden, Bedfordshire.

Prince Alexander's first wife was a scion fo the Campbells of
Glendaruel, descended from the Campbells of Lochnell, and from Colin
Campbell,3rd Earl of Argyll, and his wife Lady Jane Gordon, daughter
of the 3rd Earl of Huntly.

Prince Alexander married secondly, London, 25 July, 1978, Ethel Evelyn
Primrose Winch, who was born in London, 22 March, 1928, (a descendant
of the 8th Marquess of Tweeddale & the 6th Duke of Manchester?).

He leaves three children, from his first marriage, (i) Charlotte, (b.
1938); Emma Rosanne, (b. 1943); & Maximilian, (b. 1946).

A Requiem Mass takes place at the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer,
Cheyne Row, London, Monday 13 May, 2002, at 11 a.m. followed by burial
in Kent.

Michael Rhodes

May 9, 2002, 10:01:59 AM5/9/02
michaellawr...@btinternet.com (Michael Rhodes) wrote in message news:<8f00a961.0205...@posting.google.com>...

> His Serene Highness Prince Alexander Georg Maria Ignatius Croy died 3
> May, 2002, aged 89.

(...Snip)

> Prince Alexander married secondly, London, 25 July, 1978, Ethel Evelyn
> Primrose Winch, who was born in London, 22 March, 1928, (a descendant
> of the 8th Marquess of Tweeddale & the 6th Duke of Manchester?).

In fact I have now located some ancestors of Prince Alexander's widow.
She is a daughter of Aubrey Brooke Winch, OBE, Royal Scots Greys, by
his wife, Marie Elspeth Agnes Makgill, and is a granddaughter of Sir
George Makgill, 11th Baronet, (1868-1926). The Makgill baronets have
(in 1977) successfully claimed the Viscountcy of Oxfuird.

theresa

May 9, 2002, 4:28:03 PM5/9/02
Are H.S.H.'s "Serene" because no one can take their titles away?

andrew.loughrey

May 9, 2002, 6:33:04 PM5/9/02
Interestingly the notice in the Telegraph notes Prince Alexander being a
great-grandfather. Any further info.

Andrew Loughrey

"Michael Rhodes" <michaellawr...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Steven Lavallee

May 10, 2002, 6:44:38 AM5/10/02
"andrew.loughrey" <andrew....@ntlworld.com> wrote

> Interestingly the notice in the Telegraph notes Prince Alexander being a
> great-grandfather. Any further info.

Andrew, doesn't the Hohenlohe granddaughter
who married the French aristocrat have a child?
Steven

Shinjinee

May 10, 2002, 10:39:54 AM5/10/02
Hrad...@home.com (Steven Lavallee) wrote in message news:<978ad1a2.02051...@posting.google.com>...

>> Andrew, doesn't the Hohenlohe granddaughter
> who married the French aristocrat have a child?
> Steven

Steven, I may be mistaken but there are at least two possibilities.

http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/waldburg.html
6c) Ferdinand Ludwig Josef Maria Wunibald Konrad von Parzham
Christophorus (Waldsee 17 Dec 1933-Kitzbühel 12 Jun 2001); m.(civ)
Munich 20 May 1964 (rel) Aurach bei Kitzbühel 8 Jun 1964 Emma Pss von
Cro˙ (b.Sutton, Sussex 30 Dec 1943)
1d) Richard Heinrich Gebhard Wunibald Bernhard (b.Augsburg 20
May 1965)
2d) Sebastian Willibald Dietrich Florian (b.Augsburg 19 Jan
1967);
m.Barcelona 27 Jun 1998 Teresa de Jesus Guardans Hontoria
(b.Barcelona
8 Sep 1972)
3d) Camilla Miriam Walburga Ludovica Elisabeth (b.Munich 30 May
1976)

Perhaps Graf Sebastian and his wife have had a child, not listed
earlier. Or Cyril de Commarque and Cecile Pzn zu
Hohenlohe-Langenburg, as you mentioned.

And, I also believe that Ferdinand von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee
and Emma von Croy were divorced some time back.

Shinjinee

andrew.loughrey

May 10, 2002, 7:02:31 PM5/10/02
"Shinjinee" <ssen_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hrad...@home.com (Steven Lavallee) wrote in message
> >> Andrew, doesn't the Hohenlohe granddaughter
> > who married the French aristocrat have a child?
> > Steven
> Perhaps Graf Sebastian and his wife have had a child, not listed
> earlier. Or Cyril de Commarque and Cecile Pzn zu
> Hohenlohe-Langenburg, as you mentioned.

I suppose if it's de Commarque we'll have to wait til the QVD update. If
Waldburg the child was presumably born since late 2000. Maybe there will be
a "proper" announcement in a German newspaper, with full descendant details.

> And, I also believe that Ferdinand von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee
> and Emma von Croy were divorced some time back.

The Waldburg/Croy divorce was oddly not mentioned in the 2001 Starke which
covered Waldburg (though there was a good deal else missing). I've never
seen even a year for this divorce.

Andrew

Shinjinee

May 12, 2002, 5:53:51 PM5/12/02
"andrew.loughrey" <andrew....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<CnYC8.3490$p56.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...

> The Waldburg/Croy divorce was oddly not mentioned in the 2001 Starke which
> covered Waldburg (though there was a good deal else missing). I've never
> seen even a year for this divorce.
>
> Andrew

I saw something about the parents being divorced a long time ago. I
may be mistaken of course, since I failed to make a note of it (I was
not then covering Waldburg and am not now).

As for Pzn Cecile, I saw a photograph of "Countesse Cyril de
Commarque" in May's Harper & Queen. Perhaps she is now using her
married style?

Shinjinee

Michael Rhodes

May 13, 2002, 8:05:56 AM5/13/02
michaellawr...@btinternet.com (Michael Rhodes) wrote in message news:<8f00a961.0205...@posting.google.com>...
> His Serene Highness Prince Alexander Georg Maria Ignatius Croy died 3
> May, 2002, aged 89.

More correctly...HSH Prince Alexander von Croy.

Netty

May 13, 2002, 3:47:09 PM5/13/02
"andrew.loughrey" <andrew....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<CnYC8.3490$p56.1...@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...
> I suppose if it's de Commarque we'll have to wait til the QVD update. If
> Waldburg the child was presumably born since late 2000. Maybe there will be
> a "proper" announcement in a German newspaper, with full descendant details.

I went through the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and the Süddeutsche
Zeitung, but there was nothing in there so far.

Netty