Fred Berry, "Rerun" of What's Happening -- ?

PSierut

Oct 22, 2003, 7:48:23 PM10/22/03
Someone on another newsgroup is reporting he was found dead in his home at age
52. Haven't seen any confirmation in the media though.

Bermuda999

Oct 22, 2003, 7:55:25 PM10/22/03
>psi...@aol.com (PSierut)
>Date: 10/22/2003 7:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>Someone on another newsgroup is reporting he was found dead in his home at
>age
>52. Haven't seen any confirmation in the media though.

Fred "Rerun" Berry Dead
1 hour, 29 minutes ago

By Joal Ryan

Fred Berry was well into his 20s when he was cast as a high-schooler on the
1970s sitcom What's Happening!! Well into middle age, he was still playing the
role.

Berry, who portrayed the beret-wearing, suspender-clad teen known as Rerun on
the 1976-79 series, and was rarely without his signature accessories in the
nearly quarter-century since, was found dead in his Los Angeles apartment
Tuesday, E! has learned. He was 52.

Berry's agent, Arlene Thorton, says the actor died sometime between Monday
night and Tuesday morning in his bed. The Los Angeles coroner is planning to
perform an autopsy to determine cause of death. There were no signs of foul
play, Thorton said.

Berry recently cameoed in the David Spade comedy, Dickie Roberts: Former Child
Star, and looked for love on E!'s Star Dates. According to IMDb.com, Berry was
a veteran groom, marrying six times to four women.

He played himself in an episode of NBC's Scrubs last April. Per usual, he wore
the Rerun red beret, and the Rerun red suspenders.

Until recently, Berry had been one of the on-demand telephone friends for the
new service HollywoodIsCalling.com.

"I bet you that I've made more calls than anyone on this service," Berry told
the Washington Post in August.

Never able to shake the role that made him famous, Berry reprised his Rerun
self in 1985-86 for the updated What's Happening!! series, What's Happening
Now!.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/eo/20031022/en_celeb_eo/12758

Bob Flaminio

Oct 22, 2003, 7:56:44 PM10/22/03

Confirmed:
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/entertainment/2574596/detail.html

What's happening? Not him anymore...

--
Bob

Andrewjmilner

Oct 22, 2003, 8:16:48 PM10/22/03
A few years ago Shirley Hemphill, the fat waitress on that show, also died
alone in her home.

Sad.

Turd Ferguson

Oct 22, 2003, 8:57:54 PM10/22/03
David Carson wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:56:44 -0700, "Bob Flaminio" <b...@flaminio.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Confirmed:
>>http://www.thewbalchannel.com/entertainment/2574596/detail.html
>>
>>What's happening? Not him anymore...
>

> Now, it's really official ... 2003 is the worst celebrity death year ever.

Hurry up Pamela Anderson, it's almost November! You still can get in on
the best year for Celebrity Deaths!

Exeter

Oct 22, 2003, 8:45:08 PM10/22/03

"Bob Flaminio" <b...@flaminio.com> wrote in message

> Confirmed:
> http://www.thewbalchannel.com/entertainment/2574596/detail.html
>
> What's happening? Not him anymore...

I was surprised that Ernest Thomas, who played Raj, is actually older than
Fred Berry. He was born in 1950, which means he was almost 26 when
the show began in 1976, playing a teenager. Haywood Nelson, who played
Dwayne and the actress who played Dee were the only ones who were
actually playing characters their age (Danielle Spencer was 11 in 1976).

Dead main actors from the show:
Thalmus Rasulala(1991)
Mabel King(1999)
Shirley Hemphill(1999)
Fred Berry(2003)

Louis Epstein

Oct 22, 2003, 9:13:30 PM10/22/03
Exeter <exe...@metaluna.net> wrote:

: "Bob Flaminio" <b...@flaminio.com> wrote in message

Does it have enough dead to qualify as "cursed"?

-=-=-

Shorty Blackwell

Oct 22, 2003, 9:22:15 PM10/22/03
<<From: andrew...@cs.comnojunk (Andrewjmilner)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: 23 Oct 2003 00:16:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Fred Berry, "Rerun" of What's Happening -- ?

A few years ago Shirley Hemphill, the fat waitress on that show, also died
alone in her home.

Sad.>>

It sure is sad.

James Neibaur

Oct 22, 2003, 9:26:06 PM10/22/03
in article 20031022194823...@mb-m15.aol.com, PSierut at
psi...@aol.com wrote on 10/22/03 6:48 PM:

> Someone on another newsgroup is reporting he was found dead in his home at age
> 52. Haven't seen any confirmation in the media though.

It has been reported. He has passed away.

JN

James Neibaur

Oct 22, 2003, 9:29:22 PM10/22/03
in article nJ-dnU3q8Lb...@speakeasy.net, David Carson at
da...@neosoft.com wrote on 10/22/03 7:18 PM:

> Now, it's really official ... 2003 is the worst celebrity death year ever.

Yeah, Rerun definitely puts it over the top!

JN

Exeter

Oct 22, 2003, 9:45:58 PM10/22/03

"Louis Epstein" <lep...@PUF.FCC.NET> wrote in message

> : Dead main actors from the show:
> : Thalmus Rasulala(1991)
> : Mabel King(1999)
> : Shirley Hemphill(1999)
> : Fred Berry(2003)
>
> Does it have enough dead to qualify as "cursed"?

Nah. I believe that Mabel King & Fred Berry were both diabetics, for one
thing. That increases the odds that bad things well happen later in life.
Mabel King ended up with both her legs amputated before she died.

RMSwsTitanic1912

Oct 22, 2003, 11:34:12 PM10/22/03
I thought she dropped dead in her garden

The Kentucky Wizard

Oct 23, 2003, 12:24:45 AM10/23/03
Upon receiving news that PSierut had made the remarks below, and
after consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff, being briefed
by members of my Cabinet and telephone conversations with
various world leaders, I have come to the following conclusions:

> Someone on another newsgroup is reporting he was found dead in
his home at age
> 52. Haven't seen any confirmation in the media though.

Damn, that sucks. I liked that show, and he was a lot funnier
than that "Bookman" was on "Good Times"

--
© The Wiz ®

The Kentucky Wizard

Oct 23, 2003, 12:25:38 AM10/23/03
Upon receiving news that Turd Ferguson had made the remarks

below, and after consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff,
being briefed by members of my Cabinet and telephone
conversations with various world leaders, I have come to the
following conclusions:

Since when did she become a "celebrity"? ;-)~

--
© The Wiz ®

The Kentucky Wizard

Oct 23, 2003, 12:27:11 AM10/23/03
Upon receiving news that James Neibaur had made the remarks

below, and after consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff,
being briefed by members of my Cabinet and telephone
conversations with various world leaders, I have come to the
following conclusions:

Sooooo, if they save Rerun for the very last Oscar tribute, does
that mean they will start showing the whole thing over again
from the beginning?

--
© The Wiz ®

Corby Gilmore

Oct 23, 2003, 1:41:52 AM10/23/03
"Rob Petrie" (r*@att.net) writes:
> x-no-archive: yes

> "Bob Flaminio" <b...@flaminio.com> wrote in message
>
>> PSierut wrote:
>> > Someone on another newsgroup is reporting he was found dead in his
>> > home at age
>> > 52. Haven't seen any confirmation in the media though.
>>
>> Confirmed:
>> http://www.thewbalchannel.com/entertainment/2574596/detail.html

I will include him on my "LOCK" list, for now.
--
Corby Gilmore
co...@ncf.ca

Kathi

Oct 23, 2003, 3:36:48 AM10/23/03
imDb states that Fred's salary for
"What's Happening Now!" (1985) was a less-than-staggering
$500/episode. Good thing his cocaine days were over by then - sure
couldn't buy a lot of blow with that small change.

MadCow57

Oct 23, 2003, 3:44:22 AM10/23/03
>>I thought she dropped dead in her garden<< -- RMSwsTitanic

You're thinking of Vito Corleone.

Terrymelin

Oct 23, 2003, 9:12:29 AM10/23/03
This is such an extraordinary loss to the entertainment community. His
wide-ranging talent and abilities will be missed and that Oscar will now never
come. How very sad indeed.

Terry Ellsworth

Terrymelin

Oct 23, 2003, 9:13:50 AM10/23/03
>Now, it's really official ... 2003 is the worst celebrity death year ever.

No, I think we still need the deaths of William Shatner, Bob Denver, Gary
Coleman, and Victoria Principal to make it truly complete.

Terry Ellsworth

James Neibaur

Oct 23, 2003, 4:01:59 PM10/23/03
in article 20031023091229...@mb-m13.aol.com, Terrymelin at
terry...@aol.com wrote on 10/23/03 8:12 AM:

> This is such an extraordinary loss to the entertainment community. His
> wide-ranging talent and abilities will be missed and that Oscar will now never
> come. How very sad indeed.

Terry, take heart, at least Jim Belushi is still with us.

JN

Terrymelin

Oct 23, 2003, 4:28:51 PM10/23/03
>Terry, take heart, at least Jim Belushi is still with us.
>
>JN

Yes, and who believes the premise that that oaf could possibly be married to
that blonde babe. I, mean, it isn't even lokithing.

Terry Ellsworth

James Neibaur

Oct 23, 2003, 6:33:33 PM10/23/03
in article poXlb.3445$I04....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net, Rob Petrie
at r*@att.net wrote on 10/23/03 4:05 PM:

>> Terry, take heart, at least Jim Belushi is still with us.
>

> But not John. <bows head in memory>

If he lived he'd be Jim

JN

Terrymelin

Oct 23, 2003, 8:07:28 PM10/23/03
>If he lived he'd be Jim
>
>JN

If he lived he probably would be a dumber Joohn Goodman.

Terry Ellsworth

Topic Cop

Dec 4, 2022, 12:30:45 PM12/4/22
On Wednesday, October 22, 2003 at 4:48:23 PM UTC-7, PSierut wrote:
> Someone on another newsgroup is reporting he was found dead in his home at age
> 52. Haven't seen any confirmation in the media though.

According to this excellent documentary he lost weight during a hiatus and he was told by producers to bulk up and the weight never came off again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkJJLXMj6vU

Louis Epstein

Dec 5, 2022, 5:45:48 PM12/5/22
Too bad he couldn't re-run his weight loss.