Bob Slade, age?, NYC radio personality (WXLO/99X FM; WBLS-FM; WRKS/Kiss FM)

That Derek

Mar 24, 2019, 1:55:28 PM3/24/19
https://www.musicradio77.com/wwwboard/messages/449209.html

Bob Slade (Kiss FM / WBLS) passes

Posted by T.A. Henry on March 24, 2019 at 12:03:54:

WBLS is reporting the passing of "Open Line" co-host Bob Slade. He had suffered with health issues for several years, and died this morning after being hospitalized for the past two weeks.

Slade was one of the most enduring voices on WRKS (98.7 Kiss), and was WRKS's main news anchor and public affairs host for its entire 30.5-year-run before moving with "Open Line" to WBLS in 2012. He also narrated Kiss FM's "Soul Beginnings" anthology series in the mid-'90s after Kiss went Urban AC. His time at 98.7 went back to before WRKS even existed: He was at the old WXLO prior to the format switch to R&B/call letter change and worked alongside morning host Jay Thomas, among others.

He may have not been a DJ, but he certainly was a giant of Black radio in this market. RIP, Big Bob Slade.

That Derek

Mar 25, 2019, 12:47:29 PM3/25/19
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-bobslade-radio-legend-obit-harlem-open-line-20190324-h3hxjfry3fejphmbq6zprczqua-story.html

New York

Radio legend Bob Slade, host of WBLS’ `Open Line,’ dies after longtime kidney ailment

By Leonard Greene | New York Daily News |
Mar 24, 2019 | 5:31 PM

Velvet-voiced Bob Slade, the longtime host of WBLS’ “Open Line” public affairs show, has died after a longtime bout with kidney disease.

Though he excelled over the airwaves delivering news and commentary, Harlem native Slade’s original dream was to be an actor.

In fact, Slade studied acting at Queens College and was a member of the Negro Ensemble Company and the Harlem YMCA Theater Group.

He developed an interest in radio while performing in off-Broadway shows.

After stints doing news radio on Long Island, Slade moved to New York City’s 98.7 Kiss-FM station, where he became the news director.

There, he developed the venerable “Open Line” program, which he co-hosted with attorney Bob Pickett and musician James Mtume.

The show tackled a host of urban issues from police brutality to education and politics. It moved to WBLS when 98.7 changed its format in 2012.

Tributes poured in from the radio world and across social media.

“RIP, to my brother, friend, and partner, Bob Slade,” tweeted the Rev. Al Sharpton, whose own radio program airs on the same station . “For a quarter of a century we struggled together, you are irreplaceable. Thanks for everything.”

“My Heart is “HEAVY” on this day,” tweeted WBLS’ “Quiet Storm” show host Lenny Green. “May he R.I.P & Comfort. My dear Brother will be missed tremendously.”