Re: Famous Last Words: "damn, cigarettes" --Johnny Carson

Message has been deleted

Tregembo

Jan 28, 2005, 12:55:10 AM1/28/05

"Rob Petrie" <r...@att.net> wrote in message
news:DnkKd.7569$YD5....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> In his last days, Johnny Carson is reported to have damned his prior
> lifetime smoking of cigarettes, leading to his recent death from
emphysema.

Hardly confirmed as his last words. I believe Ed McMahon mentioned that on
his last visit Carson said, "It's those damned cigarettes."

Ray Arthur

Matthew Kruk

Jan 28, 2005, 12:57:25 AM1/28/05
Rob Petrie wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> In his last days, Johnny Carson is reported to have damned his prior
> lifetime smoking of cigarettes, leading to his recent death from emphysema.

Had he not then he would have lived to ... ? Nowadays, less people smoke
especially among teenagers ... but many teenagers are developing diabetes
because of all the junk they're eating.

So, maybe 30 years from now, Jay Leno will have been reported saying he damned
his lifelong habit of eating two bags of Fritos with a Coke each night.

20-20 is wonderful.

Message has been deleted

Tregembo

Jan 28, 2005, 1:04:21 AM1/28/05

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Tregembo" <tr...@iwvisp.com> wrote in message

> > "Rob Petrie" <r...@att.net> wrote in message
>
> >> In his last days, Johnny Carson is reported to have damned his prior
> >> lifetime smoking of cigarettes, leading to his recent death from
> > emphysema.
> >
> > Hardly confirmed as his last words. I believe Ed McMahon mentioned that
> > on
> > his last visit Carson said, "It's those damned cigarettes."
>
> It wasn't meant to be THE last words he ever said, as I'm sure you
> understood the point to be made.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought, based on the history of this ng, that when the
subject line read "Famous Last Words"......

Ray Arthur

Message has been deleted

JoeThomas

Jan 28, 2005, 6:41:35 PM1/28/05
I wish the American Lung Association and other such health organizations
would get in touch with famous smokers dying of smoking related illness,
Johnny for example, and try to get them to make anti smoking commercials on
their death beds. Yes, would be exploiting them, but it might stop some
folks from ever smoking, or even convince them to quit. Remember the anti
smoking ads by William Talman & Yul Brynner? Think what a spot by a dying
Walt Disney begging children not to ever smoke might have accomplished.
Meanwhile, on the cover of Cigar Aficionado...
Joe

"Rob Petrie" <r...@att.net> wrote in message

> x-no-archive: yes

Oogie

Jan 28, 2005, 7:02:49 PM1/28/05
Rob Petrie wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> In his last days, Johnny Carson is reported to have damned his prior
> lifetime smoking of cigarettes, leading to his recent death from emphysema.

Yul Brynner ran an ad before he died telling people flat out "Don't smoke!"
I also think the guy who was the prosecutor in Perry Mason ran one too
while his lungs were filled with cancer speaking about the hazards of
smoking. He was pretty straightforward, saying that he was dying and
urged all the viewers to stop smoking. This was back in the 60's too!

Oogie

James Neibaur

Jan 28, 2005, 7:48:48 PM1/28/05
in article ba5c6$41fad2a8$18e19de3$29...@allthenewsgroups.com, Oogie at
al_r...@yahoo.com wrote on 1/28/05 6:02 PM:

> I also think the guy who was the prosecutor in Perry Mason ran one too
> while his lungs were filled with cancer speaking about the hazards of
> smoking. He was pretty straightforward, saying that he was dying and
> urged all the viewers to stop smoking. This was back in the 60's too!

I remember that commercial very well. It was around 1968 or 1969. I
started smoking in 1973. It didn't work on me.

(I quit in 1981 because cigs went up to sixty cents a pack and I thought
nobody would buy them at that ridiculously high price)

JN

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

The Kentucky Wizard

Jan 29, 2005, 1:46:49 AM1/29/05
Rob Petrie wrote:

> In his last days, Johnny Carson is reported to have damned his prior
> lifetime smoking of cigarettes, leading to his recent death from
> emphysema.

Wow, what a revelation. Who would have thunk it.

--
© The Wiz ®

The Kentucky Wizard

Jan 29, 2005, 1:47:50 AM1/29/05

You *did* notice who the poster was, didn't you, Ray?

--
© The Wiz ®

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

James Neibaur

Jan 30, 2005, 10:16:19 AM1/30/05
in article 2yEKd.737$cl1...@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net, Rob Petrie at
r...@att.net wrote on 1/28/05 10:45 PM:

>> I remember that commercial very well.
>

> So do I.

> It was around 1968 or 1969. I
>> started smoking in 1973. It didn't work on me.
>

> See that commercial did little good.

Yeah, that stuff is well-intentioned and I have no problem with it, but I
don't think it has any real impact. There have been anti-smoking PSAs for
many decades, and people (including young people) still smoke.

>> (I quit in 1981 because cigs went up to sixty cents a pack and I thought
>> nobody would buy them at that ridiculously high price)
>

> Economics and incentives/disincentives have proven to have much more
> impact on peoples' action (or not) than most verbal warnings they get.

Nowadays people spend more on a pack of cigs than I spent on an entire
carton back in the 70s.

> I grew up way too poor of any money I personally had to waste it on
> cigarettes.
> I wasted my money on other tangible things. <lol>

I had the other problem. Too much disposable income as a kid, and no real
respect for it until I learned the hard way as an adult. I'm doing ok now,
of course, but there was that time just out of college where I didn't quite
realize charging things on credit cards meant you still had to pay for it
later. Ah the frivolity of youth.....

> My parents both smoked, my late uncle smoked; but not 3 out of my 4
> grandparents who all lived into their 90s.
> One grandfather smoked cigars only, and he lived to be 80.
> Only reason he didn't live any longer than 80 was not because of
> smoking-related disease but because of an auto accident.

Two of my grandparents were heavy smokers and were here until their 80s. My
father, however, died last summer of emphysema after a lifetime of smoking
and he was only in his early seventies.

I think anyone who suffers from a smoking-releated disease gets a bit
William Talman-esque towards the end. Johnny Carson is no exception.

JN

Edward Grant

Jan 30, 2005, 11:09:10 AM1/30/05
In article <etidnb91RKg...@comcast.com>,
"JoeThomas" <thom...@comcast.net> wrote:

The guy lived to be 79. There are some people who never smoked in their
lives that don't live that long.

David Carson

Jan 30, 2005, 1:59:08 PM1/30/05
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:09:10 -0500, Edward Grant <sy...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>The guy lived to be 79. There are some people who never smoked in their
>lives that don't live that long.

True, but very few of them die from emphysema.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

The Kentucky Wizard

Jan 31, 2005, 1:37:07 AM1/31/05
Rob Petrie wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "The Kentucky Wizard" <Kentuck...@NOSPAMwalla.com> wrote in
> message

>> Tregembo wrote:
>>> "Rob Petrie" <r...@att.net> wrote in message

>>> Oh, I'm sorry. I thought, based on the history of this ng, that
>>> when the
>>> subject line read "Famous Last Words"......
>>>
>>> Ray Arthur
>>
>> You *did* notice who the poster was, didn't you, Ray?
>
> Oh, taking me illiterately, eh!

Nope.

--
© The Wiz ®

The Kentucky Wizard

Jan 31, 2005, 1:43:14 AM1/31/05
Rob Petrie wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "The Kentucky Wizard" <Kentuck...@NOSPAMwalla.com> wrote in
> message

>> Rob Petrie wrote:
>>>
>>> In his last days, Johnny Carson is reported to have damned his
>>> prior
>>> lifetime smoking of cigarettes, leading to his recent death from
>>> emphysema.
>>

>> Wow, what a revelation. Who would have thunk it.
>
> Bet you didn't know it until I mentioned it, ignoramus.

I know he didn't die from emphysema, Roy-Boy. Carson died from
complications of emphysema. If I had to guess, it was pneumonia that
ultimately did him in. Once those lungs flood up, and you have no way to
take it off because your lungs, which once were as elastic as a balloon,
are now as tough as leather, you're pretty much a gonner.

--
© The Wiz ®

MadCow57

Jan 31, 2005, 1:07:48 PM1/31/05
>>Nowadays people spend more on a pack of cigs than I spent on an entire
carton back in the 70s.<< -- Jim Neibaur

I remember my mother spending $2.00 to buy my father a carton of his favorite
Herbert Taryetons. Remember that brand?

Message has been deleted

Brad Ferguson

Jan 31, 2005, 2:05:30 PM1/31/05
In article <20050131130748...@mb-m02.aol.com>, MadCow57
<madc...@aol.com> wrote:

I remember spending $3.25 for a carton of Marlboros about thirty years
ago. They'd gone to $6 or so by 1980. Now, here, they're about $40.
Another reason I'm glad I gave it up.

James Neibaur

Jan 31, 2005, 5:48:09 PM1/31/05
in article 20050131130748...@mb-m02.aol.com, MadCow57 at
madc...@aol.com wrote on 1/31/05 12:07 PM:

> I remember my mother spending $2.00 to buy my father a carton of his favorite
> Herbert Taryetons. Remember that brand?

Oh sure -- "Tarryton smokers would rather fight than switch" was the slogan,
and the ad showed a person with a black eye smoking a Tarryton.

JN

Fritz Wuehler

Jan 31, 2005, 11:43:17 PM1/31/05
to mail...@dizum.com
In article <310120051405309979%thir...@frXOXed.net>

I quit smoking when cigarettes went from 47c a pack to
50c....just far too expensive! That was in 1974, as I recall.

I remember Tareytons, but never smoked them, Marlboros either.
I was a Newport kind of guy.

David Samuel Barr

Feb 1, 2005, 3:43:51 AM2/1/05

The brand was TAREYTON, and the slogan was "Us Tareyton smokers would
rather fight than switch". The ad was a frequent basis for parodies,
and periodically the educational community would raise a fuss about the
grammatical error embodied in the slogan (the first word should have
been "We" instead of "Us"); same for the "Winston tastes good like a
cigarette should" ("like" instead of "as").

shar...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2020, 9:24:59 PM4/1/20
I’m a none smoker but Johnny lived a long productive life and enjoyed cigarettes. Do you think he would have made it to 103 had he not smoked? And to what purpose?

tommie....@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2020, 11:31:46 PM4/1/20
Whaddya want? Good grammar, or good taste?