Why does ANM not show up in my news service?

Neosapienis

Mar 15, 2010, 7:27:55 PM3/15/10
to alt-nudism...@moderators.isc.org
Hello all,

Out of all the newsgroups that I am subscribed to, ANM is the only one
that does not show up in my news server. The only way that I can
access the messages on here is through the web group directly.

Could somebody please help me out with this?

Thanks in advance,

Dario Western

D. Kirkpatrick

Mar 16, 2010, 11:22:01 AM3/16/10
Neosapienis <wester...@gmail.com> wrote in news:hno6ie$3qb$1
@news.albasani.net:

Hi Dario -

By "web group" I assume you mean Google Groups? There is no "web
group" for news groups. Sorry - a sticky point for people like me.

:-) Note smiley face.

What newsgroups are carried on a local news server is greatly up to the
internet service that is presenting the news service to the customer
base.

You will need to contact the administration or support address of the
news service you are using and ask them to add the group to their news
feed.

You may also wish to note that there is a valid "control message" that
formed the group at ISC.ORG. ISC.ORG maintains the valid archive of
properly formed Usenet News Groups, as opposed to the thousands of
"rogue" groups that have bene created through forging said control
commands. It is also easier to create an "alt" hierarchy newsgroup -
less oversight - so adding "alt" groups to a news feed is often not a
priority for some news administrators.

You may also have to impress upon them that this is not an "adult
materials" group simply due to the word "nudism" in the naming
convention, and that it is a text group - no binary files (images, etc).

Secondarily, it is possible for news client programs to get out of sync
at times. I'd auggest refreshing the full list of newsgroups coming
from your news supplier and seeing if it is there but not otherwise
showing. I've had to do that a few times over the years with various
news client programs.

If you are unsuccessful, you shluld be able to add additional news
servers to your news client (assuming it allows multiple servers) and
simply add another news feed.

There are other free or low cost news systems out there such as

albasani.net
eternal-september.org
aioe.net

and a few more.

Individual.Net offers a decent feed for a few Euros a year.
TeraNews.Net has a limited feed (capped by data transferred) for
$3.99/USD one time registration fee.

Of course there are plenty of paid systems out there.

I use Albasani now. It requires registration (free user name and
password) and is usually processed in a few days time or less. They
only carry text groups (no binaries) but I don't need any of that so
this is more than adequate for me.

Hope this was helpful.

DMK
ANM Mod.

PS - I only check ANM once a day due to the extremely low volume of
messages so release of pending messages can take time. When and if
traffic picks up and becomes diverse (unlikely from where I am sitting)
we'll address needs.

Neosapienis

Mar 17, 2010, 4:31:21 PM3/17/10
to alt-nudism...@moderators.isc.org
Dear Dennis,

> By "web group" I assume you mean Google Groups?  There is no "web
> group" for news groups.  Sorry - a sticky point for people like me.
>
> :-) Note smiley face.

Yes, I was referring to Google Groups.

> What newsgroups are carried on a local news server is greatly up to the
> internet service that is presenting the news service to the customer
> base.
>
> You will need to contact the administration or support address of the
> news service you are using and ask them to add the group to their news
> feed.

I can access the likes of rec.nude, alt.christnet.nudism,
alt.cult.nudism, aus.culture.naturist and uk.rec.naturist on my news
server with no problems at all. alt.nudism.moderated is the only one
that I cannot access.

> You may also wish to note that there is a valid "control message" that
> formed the group at ISC.ORG.  ISC.ORG maintains the valid archive of
> properly formed Usenet News Groups, as opposed to the thousands of
> "rogue" groups that have bene created through forging said control
> commands.  It is also easier to create an "alt" hierarchy newsgroup -
> less oversight - so adding "alt" groups to a news feed is often not a
> priority for some news administrators.
>
> You may also have to impress upon them that this is not an "adult
> materials" group simply due to the word "nudism" in the naming
> convention, and that it is a text group - no binary files (images, etc).

I'll do that and see how it goes.

> Secondarily, it is possible for news client programs to get out of sync
> at times.  I'd auggest refreshing the full list of newsgroups coming
> from your news supplier and seeing if it is there but not otherwise
> showing.  I've had to do that a few times over the years with various
> news client programs.

I tried that, but it didn't work. :-(

> If you are unsuccessful, you shluld be able to add additional news
> servers to your news client (assuming it allows multiple servers) and
> simply add another news feed.
>
> There are other free or low cost news systems out there such as
>
> albasani.net
> eternal-september.org
> aioe.net

I will check out albasani.net

> I use Albasani now.  It requires registration (free user name and
> password) and is usually processed in a few days time or less.  They
> only carry text groups (no binaries) but I don't need any of that so
> this is more than adequate for me.
>
> Hope this was helpful.
>
> DMK
> ANM Mod.
>
> PS - I only check ANM once a day due to the extremely low volume of
> messages so release of pending messages can take time.  When and if
> traffic picks up and becomes diverse (unlikely from where I am sitting)
> we'll address needs.

At least it's good that you check it on a daily basis. Some other
nudist group mods and admins don't give a toss about them after a
while. I'm curious to know why the amount of posts on here dropped
off after a while - with all the bitching and catfights that have been
going on in rec.nude you'd think that more of its users would be
taking their custom here instead of playing cat and mouse with the
likes of Anna and JonZeee. ;-)

Yours sincerely,

Dario Western

D. Kirkpatrick

Mar 18, 2010, 11:31:10 AM3/18/10

> I'm curious to know why the amount of posts on here dropped
> off after a while - with all the bitching and catfights that have
> been going on in rec.nude you'd think that more of its users would be
> taking their custom here instead of playing cat and mouse with the
> likes of Anna and JonZeee. ;-)

Well, that is a multifacetted gem.

The group was started by "Cheef Dan" many years back and after a few years
his life path changed and the group was not functioning. Much of that was
technical issues on his end as he moved to different hosts.

Moderated messages start on a news server, are routed to a private e-mail
box where they can be reviewed, then routed back to a news server using
special software. With his e-mail not functioning, nothing was processed.

Eventually I got him to fix it and then I took over as moderator. In time
we traneferred the whole thing to me and I took over completely with Dan
and his systems out of the loop.

In the interim, a lot of people just stopped posting here.

There are also a few people who refuse to post here as they see moderated
groups as being under a cloud of censorship. In some ways that may be
true as anyone playing "moderator" is between a rock and hard place as to
what is on topic and what is not.

There is also a facet that says you should be engaged in a discussion or
making a relevant announcement. People like "Anna" simply repost news
clips for purposes of evoking argument or confrontation. JonZee does
pretty much the same. He's infamous for posting tirades when things get
too quiet simply to stir the pot.

And of course there are the co-dependants who insist on responding to such
tripe.

After you eliminate that enmasse, there isn't much left.

Rec.Nude used to be a nice place and it still has some decent posters, but
because of its unmoderated nature, it has also become the dumping ground
for those who have been bumped off other well-established and well-run
moderated systems. I guess there has to be a bottom of the barrell
someplace.

I have noted that I would step down as FAQ holder for rec.nude at some
point. I've had it for 12 years now - I think that may be a record.
However, no one has the necessary technical ability or grasp of Usenet
that is necessary to work with it, and there are few if any "moderates"
(which is ideal for a FAQ holder) that don't represent one extreme or the
other. This is a Usenet ideal by the way, not something specific to
naturists.

The very status of Usenet moderation, by the way, is in limbo. With the
advent of user-friendly software and free message services such as those
at Yahoo and Google, and easy-to-install and operate message boards,
blogs, etc, the need for a moderated Usenet is all but a dinosaur. At
last check no new moderated groups were being added to the Big-8
hierarchy, and few if any are being approved in the "alt" hierarchy. What
that means for ANM is uncertain, other than possibly being grandfathered-
in, although the total elimination of all moderation is a part of the
discussion.

Usenet itself has suffered major setbacks with many major ISP services in
the USA dropping it from their systems forcing the hardcore users to seek
access elsewhere. There are only a handful of free Usenet servers left
and all of them are outside of the USA. After that you pay the piper.

One thing is for certain, within a few years (or less) ANM will die of
natural causes. This is because no new moderation tools are being
developed and what is available now either requires special installation
on a remote server, costs to operate, and is limited in where it can be
run on a Linux system. Not all providers allow it. That which is
available for the Windows platform is already buggy and several years old.
When the moderation program ceases to operate, so too does this group.

What I have now barely works on Windows XP and I don't know if it will
work on Vista or Windows 7. If not, I hear "taps." Support for XP by
Microsoft runs out in 2014.

DMK