November: Holidays & Days of Note

Terry McCombs

Oct 31, 2007, 7:15:04 PM10/31/07
Nov. 1  All Saint's Day. / Plan Your Epitaph Day (U.S.) / It was on
this day that Claudius poisoned Hamlet's dad by poring poison in his
ear. Starting a trend making November a particularly good month for
conspiracies.

Nov. 2 Dia De Los Muertos (Mexico & Haiti) The Day of the Dead /
National Deviled Egg Day (U.S.) / And it was 46 years ago what the
Marvel Ages of comics started with the introduction of Mr. Fantastic,
the Invisible Girl, the Human Torch, & the Thing in Fantastic Four # 1,
face front true believers!

Nov. 3 Housewife's Day (U.S.) / Bunka no hi (Japan) Culture Day for
promotion of culture and love for freedom and peace. / All Saint's Day
(Sweden) Held on the first Satuday in November there./ Sandwich Day
(U.S.)

http://www.wordsources.info/words-mod-sandwich.html

Nov. 4 National Unity Day. (Italy) / Death to America Day (Iran)
Apparently that's what they call it, only in Farsi or whatever. / It was
on this day 1871 that Alice went through the looking glass. / in 1954
Gojira premiers in Japan, an anti atom bomb film in which the bomb is
metaphorically represented by a 150 foot tall fire breathing monster.

This message, along with over 20 minutes of content were removed and
replaced with footage of Raymond Burr when it appeared in America in
1956 as Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

And in America, that which normally would have happened a couple of
weeks ago finally happens and we set our clocks back an hour.

Nov. 5   Guy Fawkes Night (England & New Zeland))

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
the Gunpowder Treason and plot ;
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
'Twas his intent.
To blow up the King and the Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below.
Poor old England to overthrow.
By God's providence he was catch'd,
With a dark lantern and burning match
Holloa boys, Holloa boys, let the bells ring
Holloa boys, Holloa boys,
God save the King!
Hip hip Hoorah !
Hip hip Hoorah !
A penny loaf to feed ol' Pope,
A farthing cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down,
A faggot of sticks to burn him.
Burn him in a tub of tar,'
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head,
Then we'll say: ol' Pope is dead

Nov. 6   Saxophone Day (U.S.)

Nov. 7   Mayan Day of the Dead. Which eventually became the Day of the
Dead celebrated on the 2ed, and it does seem to be a theme for this
month as to the Finnish November is known as Marraskuu which means Month
of the Dead. Not a month for sunny holidays.

Nov. 8 Fuigo Matsuri (Shinto) Festival in honor of Hettsui no Kami
Goddess of the kitchen range.

Nov. 9 Diwali (HIndu) also known as the Festival of Light, this is one
of the biggest, if not the biggest holidays in the Hindu calendar, which
as been called a holiday like a cross between, Christmas, New Years &
you best birthday ever. / Also, Kristallnacht Night (1938) The night of
the Nazi attacks on Jewish homes, synagogues, and shops in Germany
started, which today has been turned into a night for meditating on the
evil of all religion based hatred. / Quatuor Coronati (Freemason) /
Chaos Never Dies Day (U.S.) Yet another of those "holidays" about which
I can find no information.

Nov. 10 Tree Festival (Tunisia) / Festival for the Goddesses of Reason,
Liberty & Philosophy (Revolutionary France 1793) which some say never
really happened but was disinformation spread by pro-royalists.

Nov. 11 Remembrance Day (Canada, England and others) The tradition is to
observe a minute of silence at 11:00 am on this day to remember the dead
of World War I. / Veterans Day (U.S.) / Martinmas (Old Scotland) The
feast of St. Martin. A day to "enjoy" a dish of haggis. To quote Mike
Myers character in So I Married An Ax Murderer "I think most Scottish
cuisine started out as a dare." But seriously, just where are the haggis
frozen dinners in my local grocery? My guess would be right under the
liver & onion dinners. / Halloween under the old calendar. / Fast for
Balder held through to the 17th (Old Anglo-Teutonic) marking when Hod
(God of Darkness) unintentionally killed Balder (God of Light), and his
true love Nanna (Goddess of Flowers) dying of a broken heart. The dead
were honored during this time.
What did I well you about November not being a time of sunny holidays
back on the 7th?

Nov. 12 Tesuque Feast Day (Native American) / - 15th Buffalo Dance (Tewa
Tribe) Healing rites. / Lha Bab Duchen (Tibetan Buddhist) Day to
celebrate the Buddha's descent from heaven after teaching the Dharma
there. / The start of November under the old calendar.

Nov. 13   Festival of Jupiter (Ancient Rome)

Nov. 14   Children's Day (India) / Operation Room Nurse Day (U.S.) /
Which reminds me, do you know what the 5 levels of cleanliness are?

5. Guy clean. 4. Girl clean. 3. Mom clean. 2. Operating room clean  &
1. Grandmother clean.

Nov. 15   Shichigosan '7 - 5 - 3' (Japan) Children's festival. /
National Teddy Bear Day (U.S.) I've read that more people are killed
each year by teddy bears (button eyes stuck in throats, allergic
reactions to materials) than by real bears, of course real bears don't
kill a lot of people. / It was on this date in 1966 in Point Pleasant,
West Virginia that two young couples reported to Mason County sheriff's
department that they have had a curious encounter with a something or
other that would come to be called the Moth-Man.

Nov. 16 This day saw the first appearances of comic book characters
Aquaman, Green Arrow & Jimmy Olsen in 1941 as well as J'onn J'onzz,
Manhunter from Mars in 1955 & Zatanna in 1964. `events´ that will be
remarked upon by no one but me.

Nov. 17 Queen Elizabeth's Day (England) / Day of Penance (Germany)

Nov. 18   Occult Day (U.S.). Look as I might the meaning for this day
remains......
wait for it.......
............................  occult.

Nov. 19 Pencil Day. The modern pencil first appears in 1895. Before the
rubber eraser was invented people erased mistakes on paper using a stale
bit of bread. / Pop Tarts are 42 years old today.

Nov. 20 Commerce God Ceremony (Japan) / Shakyamuni or Siddhartha Buddha
Day (Tibetan Buddhist) Day to meditate on the Buddha's teachings and
strive to fulfill the Precepts.

Nov. 21 Presentation of the Virgin Mary (Catholic)

Nov. 22 Remember, remember, the 22 of November, The Daly Plaza Treason
and plot;
I know of no reason why the Daly Plaza Treason should ever be forgot.
But I'll tell you this right now about that shot, It will be long forgot
before we know the real reason. / Thanksgiving Day (U.S.) And for
breakfast that first Thanksgiving the Pilgrims served boiled eel,
explaining the popularity of Thanksgiving D I N E R. / Poseideon
Noumenia (Ancient Greek) Festival honoring all the Gods and Goddesses. /
Tomb of Tutankhamin opened by Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvor

Nov. 23   Kinro kansha no hi 'Labor Thanksgiving Day' (Japan) A
national holiday for honoring labor. / National Cashew Day (U.S.)

Nov. 24 Feast of the Burning Lamps (Egypt)

Nov. 25   Feast of Oya (Yoruba / Santeria) Feast of Oya, Orisha of
Wind, Storm, and Sudden Change. / Feast of Aphrodite and Eros (Ancient
Greek) Day to honor love and passion. / National Parfait Day (U.S.) "I
don't know nobody who don't like a parfait, I think it's the perfect
food!" Donkey from Shrek.

Nov. 26 Festival of Lights (Tibetan)

Nov. 27 Pie in the Face Day (U.S.)

Nov. 28 Day of the New Dance (Tibetan) / Bodhisativa White Tara Day.
(Tantric Buddhist) Time for meditation on White Tara, who guides the
dead to Buddha Amitabha's Pure Land, where all will find salvation.

Nov. 29 Square Dance Day (U.S.) / Sandman #1 appears 1988.

Nov. 30 Stay at Home Because You're Well Day (.U.S.)     Sure,
whatever..... why not?

For images, future reference, a recipe for boiled eel, and a few other
things go to

Holidays:

http://community-2.webtv.net/magentashadow/Holidays/

Terry McCombs